Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Can't launch Studio IDE without launching Steam

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 00:40 Edited at: 15th Feb 2022 19:32
Hi,

I'm done rewriting a game in AGKS I once wrote in Blitz3D. The final step is to implement Steam achievements using Adam Biser's AppGameKit Steam Plugin.
The p
I own both the Classic and Studio versions of AGK. Both are Steam versions.
I can run the Classic IDE without launching Steam by starting \steamapps\common\App Game Kit 2\Tier 1\Editor\bin\AGK.exe
If I try and run the Studio IDE by starting \steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio\Ide.exe, the Steam client also launches.

(edit) The problem is that I can only test the code when the IDE is running outside of Steam. Otherwise the App ID of the AppGameKit Studio IDE is used instead of the App ID of my game by the Steam API.

Is there any way to use the Studio IDE without launching Steam?

Thanks!
PSY

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
blink0k
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 01:43
I do not speak for TGC but i think in the past they have issued a TGC licence for people who have already bought a steam version.
Maybe try contact them via the link at the bottom of this page
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 02:13
I too noticed this recently. It used to allow us to either run it from steam directly or run the exe file as if it were a normal executable but something changed and now the exe launches steam which is annoying when associating agk files to the ide as steam pops up everytime saying studio wants to launch with optional parameters and then does nothing. So I think TGC did something different with the ide code cause you can't even run multiple instances anymore and believe I could do that before. I can live with it but it is still annoying somewhat along with the whole thing integrated in the ide.exe file so we are stuck with just using studio's editor.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 03:51
I opened my Steam and it apparently auto-updated my copy of Studio, so I have this problem now, too.

Before starting Steam, Studio would run without it.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 05:03 Edited at: 13th Feb 2022 05:16
i don't see a "new" version of studio. ie, nothing to roll back to @ steam (ie, 2021.12.06 is current)

looking at the ide.exe install @ C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio and it has a 02/04/22 date... so?

then, rummaging around and i found C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\temp\1024640, there's and ide.exe that shows a 12/06/21 date which i pasted into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AppGameKit Studio (after renaming the 02/06/22 exe) and it seems to run without launching steam?

otherwise, this might be a steam thing? ie, are they "patching" apps? they are constantly trying to keep "hold" on things, so...

and, why the "temp"/backup version? is that normal? i have only 2 steamapps\temp folders and the other one was empty (i don't use any other steam stuff beside studio and classic so dunno).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 05:59 Edited at: 13th Feb 2022 05:59
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 06:22 Edited at: 13th Feb 2022 06:34
Maybe someone has luck with this. I get "Depot download failed : Manifest not available"

To revert to previous manifest: Guide
Console command:
download_depot 1024640 1024641 8162597983863340851

EDIT:
https://github.com/SteamRE/DepotDownloader can be used, for those who want to try.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 15:31
Quote: "orvillian commented 3 hours ago
This has been done to verify that you own AppGameKit before it launches. It's a simple layer of protection against casual piracy."

@orvillian closed this 3 hours ago
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 17:58
Bad decision on TGC's account. Too bad it has been too long to ask for a refund.
Guess I'll have to crack my legal copy.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2022 22:03 Edited at: 13th Feb 2022 22:04
Hey guys,

Appreciate the help

So I can't use the Studio IDE to test code that uses Adam Biser's AppGameKit Steam plugin because the Steam API uses the Studio IDE's App ID instead of my game's App ID.

My only options are:
a) use AppGameKit Classic IDE outside of Steam to test the code
b) compile a game exe with Studio, close Studio, launch the exe and see if the code's working
c) always crack the latest release of my own legal copy

This is really bad...

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 15:57
Hi,
Looks like this is the same problem I reported further down the list - https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/228291 - Does any one have a solution yet, as I hate having to log into steam every time I want to start coding... Maybe we could migrate to a Non-Steam version or something...

Regards
Kevin
Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair ZX Spectrum (Various), Sinclair QL, Amiga (Various) then PC's...
Sinclair Basic - QL Basic - Amos Basic - Dark Basic Pro - AGK2.0 - AGKStudio - Still a Beginner LOL...
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 16:10
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 16:17
you could just log in once and never shut the ide down

otherwise, no more talk about cracking, please?

those "in the know", already know. and, i'm afraid of where continued discussion may go (i don't mean to rhyme, it just happens!)
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 16:32
Hi, OK, I will shut up. Just for your info, I just emails TGC direct for help with the following message...

TGC
Hi, I have been having a problem over the last 2 weeks. For some reason my Steam version of Studio did a silent software upgrade and is now forcing me to log into Steam every day to program, where as before I could link directly to the ide.exe and run it outside of Steam. I don't like the fact that Steam logs all my hours using your software. Is there anything I can do to change this, or is it possible to migrate away from the Steam version with out re-purchasing it? Regards Kevin...

Maybe this will get me somewhere...
Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair ZX Spectrum (Various), Sinclair QL, Amiga (Various) then PC's...
Sinclair Basic - QL Basic - Amos Basic - Dark Basic Pro - AGK2.0 - AGKStudio - Still a Beginner LOL...
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 16:46
i do wish TGC had announced the change officially. no one likes having something snuck in like this.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 18:13
@Virtual Nomad: When running the IDE within Steam, the Steam API will use the IDE's appid instead of the appid of the game being developed.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 18:39
Exactly. We can't use Adam Biser's Steam Plugin if we are forced to launch Steam with the IDE...

PSY LABS Games
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 19:44
Quote: "We can't use Adam Biser's Steam Plugin"

ah, i see. was that fact relayed to TGC?
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 21:50
Quote: "ah, i see. was that fact relayed to TGC?"

I don't know, but I don't think so. What would be the best way to do this?

PSY LABS Games
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 22:38 Edited at: 15th Feb 2022 22:38
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2022 22:38
Once they respond, it will be brought up. I know they're busy with GameGuru Max at the moment.

Game Maker 2 Studio gets around it by having a setting to "use alternative launcher for Steam application". I doubt that TGC would go through that trouble just to make it so people can use my Steam plugin again.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2022 00:41 Edited at: 16th Feb 2022 00:41
OK, didn't know that, let's give it some time then

Quote: " I doubt that TGC would go through that trouble just to make it so people can use my Steam plugin again."

Maybe, but any solution to this problem would be nice. Publishing on Steam and accessing the Steam API (at least for Achievements) is IMHO a pretty big deal

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2022 11:14
Hi,
This is the reply I got from TGC...

Quote: " You may prefer to run Steam in offline mode. This link explains how to handle it - https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0E18-319B-E34B-B2C8

--

Michael Johnson

support@thegamecreators.com "

Does not help our problem...
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2022 14:51
Got the same response. I explained the problem this causes a bit further and am waiting to hear back.
agkcoder
Years of Service
Recently Online
Would the non-steam/standalone version solve your problem? I personally never really considered the steam version exactly because it's inherently tied to steam's DRM system. Not sure what you can and cannot do to avoid the client running but users who cannot use AGK/AGK Studio the same way they could when they purchased the steam version should contact TGC for a full version as blink0k suggested. Did you guys try that?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2022 19:58 Edited at: 17th Feb 2022 21:48
Being on Steam does not mean that something is inherently tied to Steam's DRM or the client.

The Steam version of AppGameKit Studio used to be DRM-free and could be run without the client. TGC added the Steam DRM to Studio in January and it can no longer be run in standalone mode.

I also asked TGC whether they will provide a DRM-free version to those who own the Steam version in my reply but haven't heard back yet. But if they're just going to give DRM-free versions to those who own the DRM'ed Steam version, it would just be easier to remove the DRM.
Strange that they seem concerned that the Steam version will be pirated but not the DRM-free version from the site.
agkcoder
Years of Service
Recently Online
Thanks for the info Adam. But yeah, if they DRM-ed it in January I don't think they will undo that. Maybe they "detected" an increase in piracy of AppGameKit and the steam version was just much less problematic overall to DRM? I hope they will sort this out for you guys at least with a full version if the steam one stays DRM'ed.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2022 02:38
The response I got from Rick after explaining the situation:

Quote: "If you can share your Steam receipt with me I can set you up with a DRM free version that you can download from the TGC site."

At least that'll work in the long run. Still not thrilled with their decision to add DRM to the Steam version, but it's theirs to make.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2022 06:20
That's good news. Thank you!

I just wrote a ticket to TGC...

PSY LABS Games
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2022 00:38
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2022 13:49
Hi Guys,
Just had my DRM version added also. Thanks for all the Help Guys...

Regards
Kevin
Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2022 15:26
I got mine in a bundle on fanatical.com, would I be able to get the DRM-Free version?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2022 17:50
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2022 01:40
The DRM-free download version was added to my TGC account yesterday. That was fast

Thanks Adam!
Thanks guys!

PSY

PSY LABS Games
Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2022 03:44
I've contacted TGC, waiting for a reply.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Feb 2022 10:03 Edited at: 21st Feb 2022 10:04
It seems strange that TGC have only just decided to add DRM to AppGameKit when it is constantly on sale and has been sold so cheaply through Fanatical Bundles etc. I own both the Steam and TGC versions of both Classic and Studio but I only ever use the TGC versions.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 21st Feb 2022 13:20
I can see this may help against casual piracy however It did annoy me somewhat although for me it's not such a big deal and I just use it in offline mode but of coarse this still requires steam to start .
It suits me though , luckily.
Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2022 15:13
Thanks to Rick Vanner for giving me access to the DRM-Free version, nice one mate.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:06:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:06:05