Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / How to run exe in linux ubuntu

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2022 17:43
Hi when I try to run one of my games in linux it just sits there and does nothing but it does run in AppGameKit ide with no problem . Any advice appreciated .
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
If I'm understanding your description properly, you shouldn't be running an 'EXE' (PE formatted Windows object code player) on Linux if you're trying to run a native compatible build for it. Instead, you'd need to launch the 'LinuxPlayer64' player from the '\Players' folder with your bytecode and other needed media in the '\media' folder. The IDE likely does this automatically for you, so to run it stand-alone, you'll need to put the player and folders/files together wherever you want to launch them from manually.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2022 09:46 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2022 10:42
Well I binned ubuntu in favor of linux mint and all running fine. I had to install the wifi driver as it didn't come with one and did this by tethering my phone to my laptop. only takes a few minutes. Anyway all good now.
For some reason my games run much smoother than on windows using linux . I set up my 2 TB usb external hard drive for this and works very well .
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2022 00:51
When you build your app it puts a copy of the executable in your project folder and gives it the same name as your project. It should be the only file in there with the "x" (executable) permission. You can see a list of all files in Linux with their attributes by using the command:
ls -l
(that's a lowercase "LS" followed by a dash and a lowercase "L")
You can run your app by typing:
./YourProjectName
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2022 08:52 Edited at: 26th Feb 2022 08:56
Thanks for the replies I sorted it and have my project up and running on itch.io . I have used linux quite a bit in the past so have an idea of how to use the terminal . When I said exe I meant linux executable .
I just wanted to add my games play more smoothly in Linux mint 20.03 (I think) than windows 11 . The latest mint in mate edition.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:53:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:53:14