Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / GGLoader +

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all,

I had a quick question. I've had AppGameKit Classic on steam for a while now and was thinking of switching to AppGameKit Studio and was wondering if the GameGuru Loader is compatible with it. Also is it even worth the change?
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2022 18:55
I think if you want to use vulkan then it is a good upgrade . Personally I like studio and it's nice being able to look at the documentation and the code at the same time.

Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2022 01:00 Edited at: 5th Mar 2022 01:01
Interested in the answer about GG Loader, too.

As for checking out AGKS, watch for sales. You can often get it for relatively cheap or in a decently discounted bundle. The scene editor, asset panel, and debugging options seem to be the biggest differences between Classic and Studio.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2022 08:00
GGLoader works for the most part in Studio. Of course it was made with classic in mind so there are probably area that won't work the way they were supposed too unless you tell the renderer to be basic (opengl). Shadows for instance seem to be somewhat wacky but I've noticed this with other shadow systems as the shaders don't seem to want to work correctly under the vulkan renderer and I'm sure there are other small area that may need tweaking.

But any ways Studio is worth it but as said I would check out the sales, there seems to be one all the time.
Kidder
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, thank you all for the information, Ill possibly get it once I have finished creating my course on AppGameKit Classic.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2022 08:02
I picked up GameGuru the other day and 3 dlc packs. I really just wanted to take a look at it and it was very cheap ( 75p ) on humble bundle . Anyway it's not my thing .
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2022 10:33
I just tried the shadows and compared Vulkan to OpenGL and there is no difference on this computer . All work fine and the same.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2022 12:57 Edited at: 26th Mar 2022 17:58
I have Gameguru and Gameguru Max. Both by design are aimed at people who don't want to code which in my opinion is the best part of any game development. Appgamekit is definitely the superior product!

Gameguru Max is shaping up to be a fine product though so if someone wants to develop a FPS quickly then give Gameguru Max a try.
Dark Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2022 02:47
the Shadow problem I'm talking about

using studio with the #Renderer "Basic" used

using studio as normal

As you can see the vulkan the shadow covers the view area while using Basic or opengl the shadows are displayed
with the object that casts them unless I'm doing something wrong but I didn't do anything to the code from the demo.
The PBR demo is what this is from but I have seen it else were on other older projects on this forum when going from
opengl to vulkan.
Pfaber1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2022 08:10 Edited at: 27th Mar 2022 08:45
Very interesting I've only been using shadows for a few weeks and so far have no such problems. Maybe they fixed it .

It looks exactly the same using "Basic" or "Advanced"
janbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2022 15:23
GGLoader probably still uses my shadow shader code from a few years ago. I made it just before AppGameKit had shadows and Vulcan support so at that point I didn't take into account the fact that vulkan uses a depth duffer that has 1 as near and 0 as far range exact the opposite of opengl.
AGK also uses Vulcan by default if it is supported on the device. So my guess is that Preben still needs to take that into account inside his shaders, but thats a wild guess without actually looking into it much.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:00:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:00:15