Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / what's better

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys, what do you think is better App game kit classic or App game kit studio?
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2022 20:15
Depends what your looking for, there is no better its very subjective

to be honest it boils down to these basic factors
Classic
Pros:
Better script editor

Cons:
No visual designer
No Vulkan support

Studio
Pros:
Visual designer
Vulkan support

Cons:
Cumbersome script editor

so if you want to code, and just code then go with classic, if you want a visual designer and the latest graphics stuff then go with studio.
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
App game kit classic loads faster and the editor is fast and not buggy and is a lot easer to code in.

100 percent App game kit classic

Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2022 23:34
I have AppGameKit Studio but only find use for the classic coding part, although the studio part probably could be useful for GUI, title screens, etc...
W Red
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2022 04:19 Edited at: 16th Nov 2022 14:27
Both
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2022 03:54
I'm a fan of AppGameKit Classic. I find it more intuitive and user-friendly. This is especially true for new users.

For example, AppGameKit Classic's help takes the user to webpages for each of the commands, many with code examples on how to use them. AppGameKit Studio gives you some info in a side column with no examples. AppGameKit Classic also adheres to a lot of basic standard IDE conventions that AppGameKit Studio lacks or handles in an odd manner.
- access to variables, constants, functions, etc is in the AGKC side tab one can keep open like most other IDEs, whereas AGKS has them as dropdown lists
- in AGKS, files that you have edited are tagged like other IDEs - the asterisk by the filename in the tab. AGKS marks it in the project list in the left column.
- Save All is inexplicably missing from the File menu.
- AppGameKit Studio defies its own conventions sometimes, either making for confusing syntax or creating extra work. Using the Comment Toggle is an example of that. It uses a unique set of symbols, so it only works on comments you have generated with that feature.

To be clear, I am not saying that these things are hard to learn or tedious to deal with, rather that they add to having to learn an unconventional IDE on top of learning a new language/engine. And, yeah, that crap Replace window bothers the heck out of me.

LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2022 18:06
There are some interesting views in this thread and I mostly agree with them, except that I prefer AppGameKit Studio
I think AppGameKit Classic is probably easier for beginners to pick up and use as it has a simpler, more traditional Windows interface.
Studio's IDE is more of a modern professional programmers tool containing much more than just code editing. It is similar to Visual Studio Code, which is pretty much the industry standard for coding in languages like PHP, HTML, C#, Python, CSS, JavaScript etc.
Loktofeit
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2022 07:00
Good point, Zappo. AGKS adds the debugger and other features that are useful for more advanced coding.
LynxJSA's web games/quizzes - LynxJSA's Android apps
AGK Resource Directory
"Stick to a single main loop (DO...LOOP) and loop through it every frame.
Do everything inside functions.
Use finite state machines to control your game.
Use lots and lots of source files.
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2022 02:32 Edited at: 30th Nov 2022 02:32
Studio has better shadow filter quality, I compared only opengl in the past - I don't recall with 100% certainty if I compared by checking if the same can be achieved with classic by means of configuring shadow settings in case studios has a different default - I am fairly sure I checked settings, but only fairly sure! Seems odd as you would think both versions would be the same.
You will also find a PBR example with studio that does not come with classic. There is probably other stuff.
My advice, get studio. If you can, then wait for it to go on sale. I ended up getting both(classic first then studio on a sale) but 99% of time use studio.
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 01:52:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 01:52:50