Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] Sounds on a android phone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed some sounds sound like well, real bad.

Some sounds play fine and some play disstroted.

Even if I ask

If getsoundsplaying()=0

They sounds very distorted.

On my laptop they sound great, but not on my phone.

Is there a work around?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2022 05:38
Personally i convert all sounds to a medium quality .ogg file pretty much exclusively and havent experienced any issues/receiced any reports of poor sound quality.

If u want to try a couple of the APKs ive posted on itch to see how they sound for u, i can go into Audicity and check the specific .ogg export settings?

One thing for me is that i sometimes use mono and sometimes stereo, tho.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " i can go into Audicity and check the specific .ogg export settings?"

I would truly appreciate it, but only when you can find time.

Thank you.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 24th Nov 2022 11:02 Edited at: 24th Nov 2022 11:02
I was looking for the exact export settings but came across these help files
Compressed wav files are not supported on all platforms https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/Sound/LoadSound.htm
The reason behind the use of ogg https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/tips.html
With music mp3 is recommended https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/6_music.htm
PK
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2022 17:52 Edited at: 24th Nov 2022 17:59
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
in audacity, my ogg export setting is 8/10 = 1411kbps stereo 44,100 kHz which i think is a pretty high quality).

i'm sure others have strict guidelines when "normalizing" various sound effects from different sources while i just "play it by ear".

if a certain sound effect is much quieter than others, i Amplify in audacity which sets itself to a "safe" setting where if i manually set it too loud (@ or near 1/-1), i'll get the crackling/popping "distortion":

meanwhile, the "theme" song in Ranch Rush which is 1:29 is 2.88 MB @ the above 8/10 .ogg setting in Audacity.

and, one of the last jams, i had an ogg that actually caused the HTML export to error out (i think it was Mars Keeper) which is part of why it didn't make it to HTML/left as WIN-only.

again, i'm sure others have guidelines that they use so hopefully someone shares them while this is pretty much "all i know".

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the help , I will test with the ogg files and never use wav again . And I will post what happens.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2022 18:00
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2022 18:17 Edited at: 24th Nov 2022 18:18
Ok well I was using all wav and all from the sound pack and there all wavs and a lot of them are very loud and distorted while cracking in my ears lol. But After using you export adivice I will let you know today sometime.

Quote: "loud (@ or near 1/-1), i'll get the crackling/popping "distortion":"

Ok ill also take this advice to heart, it is odd how phones Handle sounds diffrent but they do have small speakers.

Let me test and i will let you know the results.
Game_Code_here
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok Virtual Nomad

I exported the sounds that are having problems to 8/10 = 1411kbps stereo 44,100 kHz .ogg and tested them on my app on my phone and.

It is fixed, no distortion.

I wonder why this is.

Im thinking that appgamekit is written for .ogg files perhaps?

It is fixed and now no worries, Thank God.
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2022 11:37 Edited at: 26th Nov 2022 11:40
Quote: "I wonder why this is."

[ From Memory]
I don't think Android has native support for compressed wav audio files hence why ogg is recommended ... the wav codecs may have been added I remember reading about this many [many] years ago when working in GM ... could be wrong but from that experience I always use ogg.

Quote: "Im thinking that appgamekit is written for .ogg files perhaps?"

ogg is more widely supported, but the sound pack is wav (raw-audio) for customization purposes ... when making and customizing sounds you want uncompressed raw audio, the finished results should be compressed to ogg ... just another layer to game dev
Open Source plugins
Cl - DnD Plugin
Buy Me A Coffee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:01:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:01:21