Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Adambiser's Steam Plugin no longer working?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2023 08:45
I use Adambiser's Steam Plugin and it's always worked perfectly. However, on AGK's latest couple of updates it seems to have broken and attempting to run my app brings up an error message. After puzzling it over, I realised I could restore it back to working by rolling back to Studio version 2022.09.26. That's what I've done for now, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get it to work with the newer versions of AppGameKit?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2023 14:50 Edited at: 8th Feb 2023 14:52
I wasn't aware of an issue, but I'll look into it soon-ish.
Are you starting it from inside Steam, or directly from Studio's EXE?

EDIT: Created an issue for it.
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
There seems to be a number of newly reported errors when compiling. Errors that previously were not posted and that are apparently inaccurate (for example, variables said to not be declared that are within their functions and/or are specifically declared as global, arrays said to not be defined when used in functions even though arrays are global, 'commands.txt' files for plugins not being loaded from a local folder while properly in the plugins folder, etc). Something appears to have changed with the error system that has broken a number of things, likely the same kinds of errors being posted regarding the Steam plugin.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2023 15:48 Edited at: 8th Feb 2023 15:49
what's the error message? and, does it work in Classic? 32 or 64 bit?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2023 21:24 Edited at: 9th Feb 2023 01:05
For me, when I try to run one of the plugin examples, it is:

main.agc:6:Error: Failed to load plugin command list from /Plugins/SteamPlugin/Commands.txt for plugin SteamPlugin

Even though the file itself is actually there and available. So perhaps forced case sensitivity was introduced or there is some other cause. Doesn't explain the myriad of other variable errors I've observed either (including with the plugin examples). It seems like Studio now intermittently fails to recognize global variables and/or just variables assigned values within functions. Odd behavior to say the least. I've stuck with an older build that still works for now.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2023 23:18
I am unable to duplicate this problem.

I did notice that the plugin's wiki doesn't specify where to place files while debugging in Studio and I'll update that shortly.

What is the full error text?
The only way I can get an error is if I go and change the commands.txt file to have an empty line anywhere other than the final line. Perhaps try redownloading the commands.txt file from github?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 01:15 Edited at: 9th Feb 2023 01:35
I was able to work out an effective solution (thanks to the full error text you asked about, which provided a clue). I use a different install path for projects outside of Studio's '\media' folder. With the introduction of the latest update, something appears to have changed with plugin paths. Once I kept duplicate copies of everything in two locations, I could launch a project without the commands.txt error. I'm still getting strange variable errors as though globals and locals are not recognized properly, but that's easier to sort out and apply redundant values/declarations to work around for the time being. As such, I can work around the remaining issues and get things to compile and run again.

As noted in my other forum post, this all did start about the time I installed the VSCode extension to run a few tests. So perhaps that might be related to effects on Studio's original functionality.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 01:35 Edited at: 9th Feb 2023 01:38
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you installed and tried the VSCode extension?
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 01:45
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, I'd hoped that might be related. It's the only other factor that changed since I installed the latest Studio update.

The full error was two lines, the one I posted, then another before it effectively stating the same thing, but pointing to the path folder of my project's plugins folder.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 02:53
Would you PM me the exact text so that I can try to track it down? Are you debugging or running normal?
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 03:16 Edited at: 9th Feb 2023 03:21
Sure. F5 normal start.

Edit: Both error lines sent.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 03:32
May not be the case but previous "many strange errors" were related to the player version not matching the .byc version.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 04:39
Verify that the "SteamPlugin" folder and its contents are still located in "AppGameKit Studio\Plugins"
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2023 17:12
@CatfoodMcFly: Check your AppGameKit Studio\Plugins folder and make sure the SteamPlugin folder is there as well as the files that should be in it.
CatfoodMcFly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2023 11:33
Hi Adambiser sorry for the slow reply. Yes, it's all in there - running it from both inside AppGameKit and the standalone exe works, so long as I stay on Studio V2022.09.26. Upgrading to the newest version of Studio breaks it.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2023 17:30
@CatfoodMcFly: Would you message me the exact error message(s) you're getting relating to the plugin?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:07:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:07:58