Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Alpha of Simple 3D map editor for DBPro - (screen shots and download with source code)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 05:31 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 05:39
Simple 3D World Map Editor
Here is the map editor that I wrote to create my "world" for my Alien Marathon game (which will definitely NOT be done by the comp deadline)! But I will finish it!

This editor does not have much of a GUI per say. It does display what mode the editor is in, where you are on the map, which object is selected, and the current properties of the object including position, rotation, texture, culling, UTiling, VTiling, Transparent, and U/V animation speed.

Another limitation of the editor is it only saves and loads one file (for now). When you restart the editor it reloads the current map with the alien (more on this in a bit) positioned where you had him last, and the object that was selected last is selected still!

The alien is your avatar that you can walk around to give you a sense of scale and allow you to "interior decorate" as you walk around the world.

Limitation#2. Although you can create plains virtually anywhere on the X,Y,Z axis', the alien remains on the group (which is assumed to be 0 on the Y axis).

Exporting
Besides savinging the map file, the program also exports data statements to be pasted into your Dark BASIC Pro program.

Other Limitations.
I'm sure they're lots!

SCREEN SHOTS

First, inside the map editor. A very simple map has been created (i've included the map file and export file with the download).

Second, a screen shot of a sample DBPro program that [i]uses[/u] the data statements exported. In the program you can walk the alien around using the arrow keys!

------------------------------------------------------

Web Page for this Program
http://chomer.com/DBPro/simpleEditor/

Keyboard Commands
ESC = quit program
F1 = move camera / alien
F2 = select object
F3 = select texture
F4 = size object
F5 = move object
F6 = rotate object
F7 = select group
F8 = show/hide groups
F9 = change U/V animation speeds

arrow keys:
F1 - move alien and camera following him around
F2 - left & right arrow keys change object
F3 - left & right arrow keys change texture on object
F4 - left & right arrow keys resize object width
up & down resize height, holding down CTRL speeds it up!
F5 - up & down move object on Z axis
left and right move on X axis
CTRL (up and down) on Y axis
F6 - CTRL (up and down on Z axis), up/down left/right on other
axis'
F7 - Pick a group from 1-50 to make the object belong to.
Group 0 not really a group. Use left and right arrow keys!
F8 - Show/Hide group. Left and right keys to pick group to
toggle show/hide. Up and down keys to do actual toggling.
F9 - Up/Down speed up/slow down animation speed on U
Left/Right speed up/slow down animation speed on V

Ctrl - N Create new plain object, automatically becomes selected
object.
Del Deletes selected object
Ctrl - S Saves map to file (when you save it backs up previous copy first)!
Ctrl - X Exports DATA statements to a text file
Ctrl - T Toggles Tranperancy on/off
Ctrl - G Toggles Translucency on/off
Ctrl - U Toggles U Texture Tiling on/off
Ctrl - V Toggles V Texture Tiling on/off
Ctrl - R Resets alien position to the starting position.

for now ignore any other commands stated in the remarks at the top of the map editor program.

DOWNLOAD
Includes sample textures, source code, and sample program demonstrating the use of the exported data:
http://chomer.com/DBPro/simpleEditor/downloads/3DEditorAlpha_v1.zip (6593KB)

Your Feed back sought!
Thanks and Have fun!

EDIT - you can see I used the Blue IDE in the last screen shot! Rob K's editor is soooo much better than the original equipment!

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
Umm, is that just a picture of some city in the background?

Everyting looks good except your textures.

Dual AMD Athlon MP 2x1GHZ | IBM 15000Rpm SCSI 73.4 Gb X 2 | e-GeForce Ti4400 | Audigy 2 + 7.1 Surround sound | 17' Monitor | Ugly mouse
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 09:49
Quote: "Umm, is that just a picture of some city in the background?"

I think that is the skybox

I am mischeivious
RoooooOoooooKoooooKoooooRoooooOoooooKoooooKooooo!
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2004 16:20 Edited at: 1st Jan 2004 16:23
the map itself is NOT what this is all about, its just a sample. The Editor that I made the map in is what this is about. You can drop any texture files you want in the textures directory!

the sky is just a plain with a texture slapped on it.

I have a better grass texture than this but I paid for it so I don't think it would be legal to include it with this!

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 04:28
what is this? Everyone is coming out of the woodwork with map editors! I am going to assume that I have had no real comments on it because of the Alienware Compo.

Maybe if I post a flashier screen shot. the little environment I posted screenshots for above took me only about 5 minutes to do in my editor.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 11:09
good, although its mainly for an environment you don't want the player to interact with, as its just plains, anyway to export what you've made yet?

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 18:17 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2004 18:18
Red_eye:
I have part of the code in already to include "props" which is just x objects!

And there is an export function (CTRL - x). This writes a text file containing DATA statements, which, when pasted into your program along will maploading routines, will bring up your map in your game.

There are two programs in the download:
1. the map editor
2. a sample program with the data statements and loading routine and an alien to run around the world in!

Also don't forget; all the source code!

to start your own map from scratch... delete or rename the mygamemap.dat file.

the export file is: myexport.txt

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:26:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:26:40