Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Where is the AppGameKit Classic WRITE folder located on Linux (Ubuntu) ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2023 17:15
Hi All,

I am one of those people who like to use Linux for game development. I am using AppGameKit Classic 2023.01.26 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to make an RPG game. The issue is that I am working on a game save feature at the moment but cannot save any files. I looked for a solution in the guide and on Google in general and I saw mentioned Windows write folder (C:\Users\username\AppData\AGKApps\appName). But there is no mention of the write folder on Linux anywhere. I looked in the app folder inside steamapps, also searched the hidden directories in my home folder but can't find it. I also tried to search this forum but cannot find the answers.

I think since AppGameKit is a multiplatform tool, this information should be available SOMEWHERE out there. I think the file is getting saved probably but I don't know the write folder so can't see it. Please help with the AppGameKit File Write Folder so that I can proceed with my project.

My thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide!

Here's my code sample if anybody wants to see..
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Feb 2023 17:36 Edited at: 28th Feb 2023 18:28
GetWritePath() should return a given project's write location:

feel free to respond with what's returned so others can know where linux write folders could be found (assuming the command works as expected for you) ?

note that i've included SetClipboardText() which should allow you to paste the location here immediately after running the code.
asitb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2023 20:05
Awesome, I found it using the GetWritePath() command!

Here it is:
/home/asit/.config/AGKApps/NAU

Here "NAU" is the name of my project (an abbreviation actually). So, what I gathered is that this returns the project folder inside the home's hidden ".config" directory. To me it makes more sense to have a hidden ".agkapps" directory under my home folder instead of ".config" (that is for configurations in Linux), but it is what it is.

Also if you see the below image, the code did work and a file "app.sav" was written. I checked the file it does have content the game wrote in it.

I am making this project as an Android game so hoping it works on Android too. But I'll figure that out when testing on my device.

Thanks Virtual Nomad for helping me. Really appreciate it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:03:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:03:07