Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / [SOLVED] This app can't run on your PC - Error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2023 12:07 Edited at: 16th Apr 2023 12:44
Hi, I think I may have found a Bug in the latest version of Studio (2023-01-25). Can anyone please confirm? (Windows 10 - Fully Upto Date on both computers)

I do all my coding on my main PC and everything runs OK with my game. It also works OK outside of Studio if I run the game.exe file directly.

I have a second PC, a mini laptop (IOTA One 2110), Windows 10. No Studio installed. This PC only used to check if my games run OK, so nothing else on it.

When I copy my game on to the mini laptop and try to run the exe it comes up with the following error in a blue rectangle:-

This app can't run on your PC
To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher
Close

If I save my game from any earlier versions of Studio and tranfer to the laptop, the game.exe then works fine?

Any Idea's?
Kevin

Edit - I just installed Studio on the Mini PC, and the game works fine on it now, very weird...
Edit 2 - I just saved a fresh copy of my game from Studio, and copied it to the Laptop, and the new game.exe gets the error again. If i then load the game into the Laptops Studio and run it, it starts working correctly again...
Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair ZX Spectrum (Various), Sinclair QL, Amiga (Various) then PC's...
Sinclair Basic - QL Basic - Amos Basic - Dark Basic Pro - AGK2.0 - AGKStudio - Still a Beginner LOL...

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2023 15:48 Edited at: 16th Apr 2023 15:52
just tagging in since i saw the IOTA One 2110 is a WIN Tablet and am curious since i haven't heard feedback re: running our stuff on those devices.

a guess but have you tried running the compatability troubleshooter? or the app in WIN8 or 7 mode?

otherwise, the latest version did have some under-the-hood changes including "Tier 1 Compiler is now faster at compiling large projects". that stuff is beyond me but hopefully it's not the culprit here.
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2023 16:14
Hi Virtual Nomad, yes it is a tablet, but with a keyboard and mouse attached, so I am running it like a PC (not using the touch screen).

I have tried all the compatability stuff, and nothing seems to make it work, other than compiling the game in the Studio version on the laptop and then running the game.exe after.

I have also tried it with some older games I have written, and they all act the same on the laptop and give the error. They work OK if it was copiled on an earlier Studio version, but not on the current one.

Also, I have tried it in reverse, so I compile and save a game on the laptop, and then copy it to my main PC. In these cases, it all works OK, so it does look like it is something to do with the laptop itself and the current Studio build...
Sinclair ZX81, Sinclair ZX Spectrum (Various), Sinclair QL, Amiga (Various) then PC's...
Sinclair Basic - QL Basic - Amos Basic - Dark Basic Pro - AGK2.0 - AGKStudio - Still a Beginner LOL...
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 17th Apr 2023 09:39
Have you tried to delete the game.exe file to let it properly copy again? I'm pretty sure it always copies a new exe file when compiling / running - but just incase. What is the specs of the mini laptop?
It could also be a problem when copying the file over to the laptop itself, maybe it gets slightly damaged - or some kind of signing issue (?) Can you try with another exe file that is not related to AppGameKit also?

Hope you get this one solved!

Nic
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2023 11:19 Edited at: 17th Apr 2023 11:36
Hi Refure, yes I have tried that, and I have also tried renaming the projects as well but with the same error.

I don't think it is anything to do with the way I am copying it accross or signing issue, as I can consistantly get the same results, i.e. It will always work with an older Studio compiled version, and never work with the latest Studio build

The only way I can make the game.exe App to play on the mini laptop is to load the game into the laptops Studio version and compile it. Then after that it allows me to double click the exe and runs OK

By the way, when I type "game.exe", it is just for reference, the actual games are called proper names, like pong.exe or space invaders.exe ect and I have tried at least 7 different games I have made, all with the same error

I have even gone back to basics, and wrote the "Hello World" tiny program and still get the error, but after compiling it on the laptops Studio, I can the run the exe file alone

Edit:- Spec Sheet attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2023 12:50
Is the OS 32 bit? If so the newest version of studio is 64 bit only
Win 10 Home 64, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H, 8GB DDR4, NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6
Choper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2023 13:20 Edited at: 17th Apr 2023 13:30
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hi James, great call, your are right. My main PC is 64-bit but my mini laptop is only 32bit, thanks for the help.

Still strange though that if I run Studio on the 32-bit laptop, it all works OK

Nevermind, looks like I need to buy another laptop for my testing purposes lol...

Thanks everyone for your help...

Edit:- Looks like I might be able to upgrade Windows to 64-bit... Lets hope so, lol...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:00:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:00:06