Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [SOLVED] v2023.api33

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2023 17:46 Edited at: 30th Oct 2023 19:23
an off-branch version of Classic for WIN (only) was posted a couple of days ago meant to meet google play's api33 requirement effective nov. 1st (with the extension).

while orvillion's been able to export without issues, others have not receiving "failed to read manifest file when exporting to aab" errors referencing a missing "build_bundle" folder.

this api33 version of Classic is only meant to address the GP requirement and is not part of the main Classic branch @ steam.

if you're not familiar with installing others versions @ steam, see HERE and look for the api33 version.

i believe similar is available for the TGC version @ your products list (don't quote me; i don't own the TGC version).

if you don't need the api33 exports, i would stick to the current "main" branch of Classic (or switch back to it when finished with exporting). ie, v2023.01.26.

@ steam, you'd choose the "none" option under the betas pull-down to revert (as i understand it, that's what the "api33 backup" version you'll see is, as well, but i expect that's "off branch").

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 04:55 Edited at: 28th Oct 2023 05:25
This method worked for me but you need to own the Studio version as well:-

Delete or rename the data\android folder from the October update and replace it with the android folder from the August Studio version and this then produces a AAB using android33.jar

For example:

First delete or rename C:\program files(x86)\the game creators\agk2\tier 1\editor\data\android

Obviously make a backup before deleting!

Replace with C\program files(x86)\the game creators\appgamekit studio\media\data\android

I have successfully created both APK and AAB exports @ API level 33 and uploaded the AAB to play store. The apps run as expected with no crashing etc.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Superior Interactive
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 07:53 Edited at: 28th Oct 2023 08:03
Thank you, Zaxxan!

Your suggested procedure has worked and the apps have been successfully exported and updated in AAB format.
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
So you need Studio to fix this in Classic. Way to go.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 08:41 Edited at: 28th Oct 2023 08:48
I know it's not ideal but it's a work around for people who need to update their apps before the Google deadline as Orvillian has said on GitHub that this issue is unlikely to be fixed in time.

If TGC could provide the android folder in a zip file then you wouldn't need studio. This update was only released so that users could update to API 33, if you don't need API 33 then the recommendation is to stay on the January update.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 12:55
I totally forgot to test my apps after updating
None of them is working anymore. They shut down immediately after being started...

PSY LABS Games
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 13:28
Is this using the spamming method or swapping the android folder? So far I haven't had any issues.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 13:41
This is using the spamming / USB method.
I just compiled a new version after swapping the Android folder like you said and uploaded it.
It's in review now. I'll let you know ASAP.

PSY LABS Games
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 14:06
The app I uploaded has passed the review stage ok. So fingers crossed.
PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 15:36 Edited at: 28th Oct 2023 15:36
All apps have been approved
Thanks alot for the solution!!

PSY LABS Games
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 19:39 Edited at: 29th Oct 2023 06:53
@orvillian, I have narrowed this issue down further.

It appears that there are files missing from the C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK2_old\Tier 1\Editor\data\android\sourceGoogle\resMerged folder.

If I copy a file called mipmap-anydpi-v26_ic_launcher.xml.flat from the Studio resMerged folder to the Classic resMerged folder the export then works OK.

The are several mipmap files missing but the above file seems to cause the issue we are seeing. It would be helpful if someone else could confirm this.

It's also possible to fix the html export by copying the C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK2\Tier 1\Editor\data\html5 folder from the January update as there are a lot of files missing from the October html5 folder.

I think I now have a fully functioning version.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 21:27 Edited at: 28th Oct 2023 21:30
@zaxxan,

so, your last post fixes export on its own/without studio?

Quote: "I think I now have a fully functioning version."

let me know so i can mark the correct post as the solution.

meanwhile, thanks for working on this.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2023 21:38 Edited at: 28th Oct 2023 21:43
To fix the android AAB export you still need the mipmap-anydpi-v26_ic_launcher.xml.flat file from Studio.

To fix the html5 export you need the January version of Classic for the missing html5 files.

I'm hoping that now I've found the cause of the issues that Orvillian will release a new update with the fixes.
kocak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 03:09 Edited at: 29th Oct 2023 03:40
I get failed to read manifest file at C...(some more stuff)
After trying to export after updating to the beta for api33

Can someone send me that file of studio I cannot afford to buy it

PLEASE HELP
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 03:37 Edited at: 29th Oct 2023 03:57
Quote: "Can someone send me that file of studio"

i'm asking for permission to post the required files. as it's the weekend, i wouldn't expect a response soon. until then, sorry.

meanwhile, please don't multi-post or spam (here or steam), @kocak. i know it's getting crunch time but it's not gonna speed things up.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 09:05
I have some good news, the mipmap-anydpi-v26_ic_launcher.xml.flat exists in the January version of Classic so you don't need studio to fix the aab export issue.

so....

To fix the android AAB export you need to copy the mipmap-anydpi-v26_ic_launcher.xml.flat file from the resMerge folder in the January 2023 update (there are other missing mipmap files so it may be just as well to copy these over from the January 2023 to the OCtober 2023 version as well)

To fix the html5 export you need the January version of Classic for the missing html5 files.

I'm hoping that now I've found the cause of the issues that Orvillian will release a new update with the fixes.

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 09:05 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2023 07:31
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I have some good news, the mipmap-anydpi-v26_ic_launcher.xml.flat exists in the January version of Classic so you don't need Studio to fix the AAB export issue.

so....

To fix the android AAB export you need to copy the mipmap-anydpi-v26_ic_launcher.xml.flat file from the resMerge folder in the January 2023 update (there are other missing mipmap files so it may be just as well to copy these over from the January 2023 to the October 2023 version as well)

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK2\Tier 1\Editor\data\android\sourceGoogle\resMerged

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK2\Tier 1\Editor\data\html5

I'm hoping that now I've found the cause of the issues (which is basically lots of files missing) that Orvillian will release a new update with the fixes.

Update: user @weave had to copy ALL of the missing mipmap files to successfully export a AAB file. So I recommend doing this now to make the fix more likely to succeed.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 14:25
@zaxxan,

and, gp accepts the export and the app runs fine with the files carried over from previous version, correct?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 14:46 Edited at: 29th Oct 2023 15:33
Yes, they have for me. It would be nice if someone else could test it as well though. I have exported apk, aab and html5.

PSY
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 16:10 Edited at: 29th Oct 2023 16:28
I've copied the Android Studio folder to the Classic installation, exported 3 apps to .aab and uploaded them to Google Play.
They have been accepted and run just fine

PSY LABS Games
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2023 17:12 Edited at: 29th Oct 2023 17:22
That's good to hear!

I think it is possible to fix the issue without using the android folder from Studio, please see my previous post as I have now got the October update working with some files from the Classic January update.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2023 05:17
Somehow all four of my AAB bundles exported from Classic using the Steam v2023.api33 branch without a hitch. Uploaded them to Google Player and they've just now all been accepted and live. No folder copying involved.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2023 08:22 Edited at: 30th Oct 2023 08:52
Yes its all very weird, I suspect that because files are missing and if your particular program doesn't use those files then it may work. I had one game that exported a few times but not everytime. I think the some of the files that are missing are to do with screen resolutions and icons so maybe that would make a difference.

There are lots of files missing though which may cause all kinds of issues. This release is definitely a mess. I think the changes that Orvillian made for API 33 work but it just needs recompiling to make sure no files are missing.

I have emailed orvillian to ask if he can release a new update.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2023 19:30 Edited at: 30th Oct 2023 19:35
@adam, making sure you've followed where, early on, PSY was able to export and gp approved but the apps were unplayable.

you didn't mention that you'd confirmed that yours are so if you haven't, you might want to.

@all, in the end, the patch "works" in one form or another so those with apps on gp are over the current hurdle and can breath a little easier.

thanks orvillion, zaxxan, psy and others for putting yours heads together to make it happen. with nothing on gp myself, i still appreciate seeing this kind of community
Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Problem....Google says..."The app is published as an APK that supports TV. In other words, it contains <category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER"/> under one of the intent filter of the main activity. It must be published as an app bundle instead."....that was just an APK upload despite it not as far as I know supporting TV(????)...so

Exporting an android Bundle...having added the mipmap file you mentioned earlier but Export reports for a folder it cannot read "/build_bundle/AndroidManifest.xml" but the October 23 release makes a "/bundle_temp/AndroidManifest.xml" folder instead like there is a tiny folder name issue, if I add the "build_bundle" folder that it asks for...it gets deleted on export.../bundle_temp/ should be the folder name not /build_bundle/ according to the October 23 release that is made when we compile

SO does Classic no longer export an Android Bundle as the naming convention is awry...and going on the answers here has missing files in compilation problems....(?)

Any ideas to fix this? Is classic not going to be googleplay ready from now or we have to go STUDIO is that it?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2023 21:12 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2023 07:22
@weave, I spent quite a bit of time on this and if you have Studio and you copy the Android folder into the Classic October update it seems to solve the export issue, a few people have varified this.

If you don't have studio and copy the the mipmap files from the January Classic update it 'should' work at least it did for me.

There are so many files missing from the October update that depending on each individual export results may vary. The October update is a mess unfortunately and won't be fixed for a few week's at least.

If you have Studio I would use that to export your projects, if you don't have Studio I would email Orvillian @TGC for assistance

orvillian@googlemail.com

Note: regarding the bundle_temp folder, if you install the January update you will see that it also creates a bundle_temp folder, this is a red herring.
Weave
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Zaxxan, thanks for the swift reply....

SOLUTION : I copied ALL of the mipmap related files from :-

D:\Drawing\AppGameKit\AGK 2023.01.26\Tier 1\Editor\data\android\sourceGoogle\resMerged

into the new October 24th folder:-

D:\Drawing\AppGameKit\AGK2023.10.24\AppGameKit-2023.10.24-Windows\Tier 1\Editor\data\android\sourceGoogle\resMerged

And voila...I was able to export an ".aab", which then uploaded to the play store and registers as api33 compatible !!!

Thanks for the help, and hope this helps

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2023 07:21 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2023 07:28
I only needed the one mipmap file but did mention it might be just as well to copy all of them across in an earlier post! Glad you got it sorted

I've updated the solution to say copy ALL mipmap files.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 22:09:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 22:09:18