Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Please Let AGK Studio Support Geany Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2024 21:31 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2024 23:29
The Studio -Editor- is the one single factor that prevents a lot of people from upgrading to Studio, due to it's assortments of underdeveloped feature and issues.
If there's any TGC developers or Lee Bambers reading this:
Please let AppGameKit Studio officially use Geany editor instead, which works great for AppGameKit V2 Classic.

I've tried using SFSW method here to force Geany Editor for AppGameKit Studio:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229449
Whilst it works to some extent, a lot of the limitation still lingers with this method.
For example, there are still RAM limit, around 1.1gb (which is also a limit in Classic). Will throw Uncaught Exception error ifthe game goes beyond this.
Also, we cannot change renderers.
But, Anisotropic filtering, Antialiasing, and non-blurry mipmapping seems to work.

There are many very tangible benefit of using AppGameKit Studio -engine- over Classic's engine.
Such as actually working Antialiasing, Anisotropic Filtering, non-blurry mipmapping, able to #renderer none to make server app, able to go above 1.1GB RAM limit, faster Vulkan, etc.
But all of these got roadblocked by Studio -Editor-. It's such a huge shame.
So please, let AppGameKit Studio officially use Geany editor instead.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2024 00:07
@Scribble
Have you tried using the AppGameKit Visual Studio extensions? I haven't myself, but that might be a solution if you prefer to not work in the AppGameKit Studio IDE. I imagine that the extensions would also probably work in the VSCodium IDE as well if you prefer using VSCodium over Visual Studio (both are essentially the same IDE).
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/229449#msg2676536
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2024 02:49 Edited at: 4th Jun 2024 02:51
@GemGames
I've just tried VSCode, but there are several issues:
- No way to Broadcast
- Cannot hide Constant list, so the 'Outline' list become very bloaty, difficult to look for Functions
- Cannot hide Array list, so the 'Outline' list become very bloaty, difficult to look for Functions
- Cannot Export
and some other things
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
The only significant limitation I am aware of with the Geany editor is swapping the renderer. But since you must recompile to set that anyway (as it sets a bit in your bytecode file at the time of 'compiling'), it's not too big of a deal to simply switch over to the AGK-Studio editor just to compile for a particular render mode. But I do agree it would be handy to have this functionality within the Geany editor as well.

I'm not aware of a 1.1 GB memory limit. That sounds like you may be compiling in 32-bit. Make sure to set the Geany editor in your Studio environment to compile in 64-bit also (Build > Build Options > check the 'Windows 64-bit' box > Apply).
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
@SFSW
Thank you, your suggestion of using 64-bit works. Now AppGameKit Studio with Geany IDE can even create arrays with the length of 2,147,483,646, consuming RAM of 8.2 GB without problem.
FInally, the time has come to fulfill my destiny. Of making a game above 1.1GB. With Geany.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 00:32:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 00:32:17