Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Studio Chat / Linux support discontinued

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2024 06:32 Edited at: 24th Jun 2024 15:23
I've just noticed a reply from Lee to a AppGameKit Studio review and it looks like updates for the Linux version have sadly come to an end.p

"We can confirm that there will be no further updates to the Linux version of AppGameKit Studio, and the last version is from 2023.07.17. We will continue to maintain the Windows, Mac, Android and Apple exports."

If Linux isn't updated it also means that the HTML5 export can't be updated either.
Scribble
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2024 04:32 Edited at: 25th Jun 2024 04:33
I've never used AppGameKit on Linux before.
How do I install AppGameKit (Classic and Studio) and it's editor for Linux?
If I have Steam's version of AGKs, do I install them from Linux Steam or something?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2024 05:28 Edited at: 25th Jun 2024 06:08
No idea about the Steam version but if you purchased the TGC version the Linux installers are available in your account.
Bogle
Years of Service
User Offline
How does ending Linux support impact HTML5? Also too bad about Linux, its the main way I use this.
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2024 12:28 Edited at: 25th Jun 2024 12:28
The HTML5 files are generated during the Linux build process and then shared with the Windows and Mac builds
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2024 11:51
I'm using Linux servers, I make server console-only apps in C++, will this support also end?
13/0
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2024 07:33
Does discontinued Linux support mean that the HTML5 export feature of AppGameKit Studio will "break" or otherwise be affected in future revisions of AppGameKit Studio? Do you anticipate that incompatibilities for HTML5 export will occur as a result of discontinued Linux support in future versions of AppGameKit Studio?
Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2024 15:11 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2024 15:15
Without the Linux build the way I understand it is that the HTML5 files won't be able to be updated so if any new commands are added they would not be available in the HTML5 export. I'm hoping Lee finds away around this. I don't this this will be an issue for quite sometime though.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2024 02:51
Quote: "Without the Linux build the way I understand it is that the HTML5 files won't be able to be updated so if any new commands are added they would not be available in the HTML5 export. I'm hoping Lee finds away around this. I don't this this will be an issue for quite sometime though."

Ok, that's good to know thanks. If I understand correctly, this would mean that as long as a program listing in a future version of AppGameKit Studio is limited to the current command set of AppGameKit Studio version 2023.07.17 then the HTML5 export feature will continue to successfully export from within the new version, based on the Linux compilation / export of the 2023.07.17 version.

Hopefully, as you mentioned, Lee could find a way around this for future AppGameKit Studio (tier 1) versions. But even if not, then that's good to know that the HTML5 export will (presumably) continue to function normally as long as the programmer does not use any newly introduced AppGameKit commands / functions beyond the existing AppGameKit Studio version of 2023.07.17.

It would be so exciting to see HTML5 export support extend to AppGameKit tier 2 (C++ language). I'm not sure what the technical limitations might be or if that would be a massive undertaking. I would love to see AppGameKit tier 2 compete with the likes of SDL, Raylib and Phaser regarding HTML5 export support. I am thinking there's got to be some way to do this, but of course I don't know what the internal mechanisms or designs are of AppGameKit tier 1 compared to AppGameKit tier 2, and whether or not they are largely compatible or easily translatable for HTML5.

Thanks for the informative update in your previous post. I plan to continue using AppGameKit Studio for HTML5 development, and I am cautiously hopeful and optimistic that a future workaround or solution will be developed for HTML5 export to accommodate future AppGameKit Studio commands or features.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
I am surprised it was maintained this long. As far as I know, Linux and HTML5 was only an experiment done in free time by devs. It was basically a free contribution by members of the internal dev team.
GemGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2024 23:51
Is there a such thing as AppGameKit tier 2 development for Linux? Or is Linux development limited to AppGameKit tier 1 only?

Is there a way to compile C++ (AGK tier 2) Linux Apps using a Linux-based IDE, which compiles the game App into native Linux machine-code executable Apps (which do not require the use of the AppGameKit Player and bytecode in order to execute on Linux)?

In the AppGameKit Studio User Manual there are tier 2 sections for Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android, but not for Linux. Since the time of that manual's writing (2018 or 2019 as I recall) things may have changed for tier 2 however, expanding to include Linux support.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 19:47:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 19:47:02