Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Alien Gunslinger Download

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2004 19:54 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 21:11
(Just re-uploaded... works now)

http://www.aquaterranorthwest.com/alien/AlienG.zip

3rd person mode: cursor keys move, mouse rotates alien, left click to go to 1st person shoot mode

1st person mode: mouse aims gun, left mouse fires, right mouse button switches back to 3rd person walk around mode

If you get a can't load animation error, then type "n" at the start.

Once you shoot all the bandits, you win and can go back to your home planet. It's really hard to win, but easy to shoot a few bandits.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 00:16
it very hard and a bit clucky. but this is one of the best games i`v seen so far. it real fun to play.

--Dr 0--

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 00:42 Edited at: 8th Jan 2004 00:45
What's clucky? I swear I de-clucked it twice...

Hey I just downloaded your game. Very smooth gameplay.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2004 05:43
Such a clever idea! This is a nice shooter!

The video was really good too. It really added a lot to the game!

I think I even saw some lense flare in the game, no? Nice touch! This is an excellent entry indeed.
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh yeah there's lense flare out the yin yang.
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 18:08
I had a stressfull day yesterday. Once it hit midnight, all I wanted to do was relax ... and play some more Alien Gunslinger! Seriously - I was looking forward to some more alien gunslinging action!!!

I played it several times, and I will play it several more times in the near future. The best I was able to do was to kill 8 bandits.

I love how you can shoot the crows! I also just noticed the moving cloud images on the ground - brilliant!

You can shoot the glass out of the windows - awesome!

The only problem that I have noticed is once I pick up the bullets, and then I die and replay the game again, the bullets are no longer there. The only way to get the bullet power ups again are to quit the game and start over.

I don't know what it is about this game that I like so much. The music is super, the graphics are very well done, and the scene that you built is simply amazing! I am finding ways to sneak around and kill those bandits while they least expect it.

Totally Uber Game, Yo!
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2004 23:07 Edited at: 9th Jan 2004 23:08
1.. Thanks for the kind words.

2.. I fixed the bullets. if you re-download (from the above link) it they should appear now when you start the game over.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 00:07
Hi Zombified.

I get a corrupt ZIP file error when trying to open the file. I tried using the standard XP compressed folders system and WinRAR. Using WinRAR I was able to repair the file and extract everything except the Intro\panel3.bmp file (Corruption error)

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 00:49
Rob K, had a corruptin error to, re-downloaded it and it worked fine
nice job mate, never saw this kind of game(swithcing between camera mode like that)

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb

http://www.apollostudio.nl/
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 05:15
yeah, your game has style! very fun, great camera system!

i just wish I could move even a LITTLE while in 1st person mode

great game man!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 08:42
This file is not a valid winzip archive.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
OK re-uploading now... try again.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 22:22
Its working now - Some comments:

Good
-The graphics are nice, I especially like the tumbleweeds and the way that the clouds appear to leave a shadow on the level as they move. The attention to detail is quite impressive, from birds etc. that you can shoot to the shattering glass.

-The cinematic camera is a nice idea

-The intro vid is a neat touch

- Like the music.

Problem areas
- I know that the limitation of not being able to move while in first-person mode is by design to make the game harder, but I found switching in and out of modes rather annoying and stopped me from enjoying the game.
- The gun moves very jerkily
- The collision hit detection needs some work. I was standing right in front of an enemy shooting him in the chest and didn't fall. Others I was able to shoot above / to the left of and they still fell.

BlueGUI Plugin:http://blue.robert-knight.net / BlueIDE http://blueide.sf.net-Free Replacement editor for DBPro
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2004 22:38 Edited at: 10th Jan 2004 22:40
Woo Hoo - I HAVE WON!!!

I tried and tried and tried again, and I have finally won this game!

The trick is, all of the Bandits start out in one place. If you move to a certain spot, they seem to move forward a bit in one direction, or turn and move. You just have to find their spots, and figure out their plan.

A hint I offer is that if you can see them, and there are no objects between you and the bandit, and if you are far enough away, the bandits might not be able to see you - so shoot them! It's all a matter of sneaking up on the bandits. For all 15 bandits, I figured out the position of where I should stand, and where I was still too far away from the bandits for them to notice me, and I took them out.

There is order involved too. You should take them in a certain order. Here is the order I used. The blue dots show where I stood to get the best shot:

The bandit #15 in my map above cannot be shot from the south. He must be shot from the east or from the west.

#14 must come out first before you can shoot him. Start walking up to him, and when he comes out, walk back far away and shoot.

It was indeed a great game! I even found the secret!
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 05:59 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 06:00
@TobyQuan: I'll have to try it!

@ZomBfied: fun little game! I like the music! it would be nice if you could move in 1st person mode. It also would be nice if the camera would always follow from behind in 3rd person mode. I wuz gettin abit disORViented (sorry)!

I have code you could use for the 3rd person camera tracking if you want.

I like that intro movie!

I think the game over msg (which I got alot!) should show a replay and an exit button right away without hitting ESC. ESC should only be needed if you want to quit in the middle of the game.

Great Job!

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 06:53
Bah! Those controls are devious...those plus the camera make this game really awkward to play, I found it really hard to find my way around, and even harder to kill anything, because the mouselook was so jumpy, aiming was a challenge.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 08:21 Edited at: 11th Jan 2004 08:21
TobyQuan: Wow. I have never had anyond diagram and write a strategy guide for a game I wrote before. I'm glad you had fun. That's actually different from the order I did it in, I think your way works better!

Rest: Yep the collision needs some work. I simply ran out of time before I could refine it more.

I have great 3rd person tracking code already, for this game I wanted Resident Evil style stationary cameras. Mainly so you could see the alien from all angles --not just the back. Plus I didn't want to make "another 1st person shooter."

Thanks all for the great feedback already!
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 08:24
the camera angles are fine- leave them!!

however I do agree that the mouselook was a bit blocky, which did make aiming difficult.... almost like the angles are integers, not floats. I realize your aiming system probably requires this jumpiness, but it was a bit frustrating.

overall fantastic game!!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
orv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 17:21
perhaps a regular third person view in a view port in the lower right corner of the screen (while in walking around mode). You could output the image to a sprite that is alpha mapped slightly so you could see through it a little (so as not to completely hide what is behind it)

just a thought. Personally I think game play is more important than neat camera shots (tho I like neat camera shots).

perhaps a camera toggler key so the user can pick what works for them!

perhaps you're sick of working on this game and want to move on!

i don't find the mouse look too bad. tho there must be some range cuz i got a bandit in my sights, fired, and no dead bandit! I had to get closer (booo hisss)! Scarry!

If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time. 806mhz AMD Athlon Processor. 384MB memory.
Windows XP Home Edition. RADEON 9700 Pro graphics card. - editor.exe=1.0.6.1 - DBPCompiler.exe=V1.05
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2004 19:30
man i like this game, original idea, well executed and nice controls, the atmosphere and music where great and really fit into the game. well done! although as stated before there where some enemy <=> bullet collision problems, the whole camera concept (switching from 3rd to 1st, 1st can't move etc) is strange but good none the less and i see no other better camera style that could replace it...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:48:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:48:39