Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DB MMORPG - is it possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Me and a bunch of friends are almost finished with a script for a MMORPG and are now looking for a programming language capable of carrying our ideas with a minimum of low level coding. Is the DB the Right Thing?

The choice of the programming language is very important one, since time is of the essence and not one of us would want to spend 3 months learning the syntax just to realize that it is impossible to have a 24 hour, 300+ player game. We have the budget (although a small one) to, for example, hire a professional C++ programmer who could do some programming for us. Can we, for example, design client software in DB and server engine in C++?

So far we've been testing our concepts in Byond, a very capable little object oriented freeware language made specifically for designing MMORPGS (believe it or not) however it does not produce .exe files and its graphical capabilities are meagre at best.

So, what are your thoughts on this?
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 14:00
Well, you can use DB as a client and write in C/C++ to create a server. This would work. I'm not quite savvy about C but with DB (or better yet, DBPro) you would probably streamline implementation due to it's easy use.

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
TheDreamX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 16:28
I'm actually working on an MMORPG (wll, without the "massive" right now) and it's coming along pretty well. I made a server in VB (cause it's quicker than C++, but I guess I will convert over when the time has come). Right now the only things that work are multiple people moving around in one "zone." Chat should be a piece of cake when I get to it.

As a matter of fact, If anyone played Elven Rule by Sabata Rh (think he switched to Blitz Basic now), they would find out just how good a game you can get. I was a tester and talked to Sabata a lot. He told me his server was in C/C++. The project was before DB had online commands, so he sent information to a text file, which was sent to a VB app in the background which communicated with the server. It was a great game for its progress and had almost everything the orignal EverQuest had.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 18:34
Cool, sounds like you're doing well. I'm writing a little chat app, a sort of graphical chatroom, but it's not very in-depth. Good luck on your project

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:57:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:57:04