Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New Game by April

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 17:37
I am a student and for my project i have to create a computer game by April, i was aiming for a first person shooter. Only one level will be needed but if i have more time i will try to do a few. Where can i go for a description on how to lay this game out? I am completely new to Dark Basic but have gone through some of the tutorials. Like how to make a ball and setting the camera.
I need a structure like "this is required for the game to function."
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2002 18:27
Well, for a level, Id grab a copy of Cartography shop. As for FPS, if your new to DB, it may be a little hard. You will need a lot of knowledge of functions, while, and if then statements. For the gun, you will have to lock it on the screen.
I am not sure where you can find a description on how to lay the game out, but I can give you a basic idea (or you could be cheap and get the 3d game maker and make a FPS in 3 minutes :p no code required lol)

Well, first off, your going to need to figure out, what your going to have for enemies, A.I.? Or will it be online? Basically, what kind of game it will be. Near the start, I would design the levels so you know what you are working with.
Gameplay, what is it going to be like? Guns, are they going to be super powered high tech futuristic guns, oldschool? Map things out on paper.
Think of what kind of features you want this game to have, different guns? You will have to make physics for each gun. Are you going to make the character move slower if he has a larger gun? Will other guns be more powerful? Look into MATHs.
Decide many things before jumping into a project. Try mapping it out on paper to know EXACTLY what you are going to do. Try chopping your project up into different sections, instead of tackling the whole thing at once. Here is an example:
My Project
-Levels
1) Find textures
a) Put websites or make them
-How?
2) Model level
a) Go by your drawing
-Texture level
3) Test level
a)load up in DB
- Make any adjustments
b)make camera
c)test for glitches
-Weapons
1) Deside on time
-resources here
a) Model
-texture
b) do physics
-weight, Rate of Fire, clip size
-Enemies
1) Deside on type
-list options here
a) If A.I.
-whole new piece of paper- lol
a)divide A.I. into different sections
-Physics
1) Speed of game
-mood of game- stealth? shoot em up?
a) Other commands
-running
-walking
-strafing
-jumping
-crouching
-crawling
b) Any recoil effect?
- if so, define accuracy physics

Welp, thats just a real basic outline. Put little check boxes so you can check off when your done. When you have done this, put them in your game, and make them run nice and smooth.

I hope this helps ya,
Good luck,
RPGamer

PS- I dont know much about FPS's, I plan to make a MMOFPS paintball game later. This is just the basic outline I try to follow for projects. Of course, the categories would change depending on genere.

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
SonicBoom
Years of Service
User Offline
Good advice from RPGgamer.

For a quickstart I'd recommend grabbing a copy of DBPro and follow the FPS shooter tutorial.
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 03:48
Good call- but I havent seen him around here for a little while. Ya, I dont have DBpro so I couldnt tell ya about the FPS tutorial.
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 04:28
Is it entirely student made? There are plent of capable people on this board that can do things like music, voice acting, modeling, texturing, promotion, etc etc, dark basic has a shallow learning curve but takes a lot of guess and check to get desirable results.
Evangelion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 22:45
Yeah it is entirely student made, however i have asked other student friends to help me out. Example an art student has done some character sketches, while a music friend is going to make some mp3 music for me.

As this is the last year of my Computer Science Degree this project has to show the science side of compuer games, which basically means plenty of programming and showing what programming can do.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:56:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:56:59