Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / PC History (Amiga & Atari emphasis)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Comprehensive (American viewpoint). Lots of pictures & things to read.

http://www.heartbone.com/comphist/decade.htm
Only PERSONAL COMPUTERS covered.
One of my most viewed pages.

See the Jay Miner page. He was the man.
http://www.heartbone.com/comphist/JayMiner.html
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2002 22:01
Oh boy...how much I wish I could still have my Atari 2600 or my TK85... It's REALLY hard to find those babes fully working nowadays... seems like peoples just smashed and trowed into the junkyard.... I love old stuff like that, I wish I could open a computer/videogame museum...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 06:52
rogue your forgetting what happened to most nintendos... the next time you try to get it to work... remember compressed air or blow into the cartrige and the nintendo... hit it on the top a couple of times... kinda move the cartrige around inside the nintendo... play 10 minutes... the nintendo starts blinking white... pink... white white... black with white... so on... then you just say fuck it and bust out your game cube...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 18:04
Hahahhaha. U r right. I remember my old Atari, I had some problem like that. After a while I needed to place some sticks to press the cartridge foward so it could read the game... lol.

Well, I basicaly should like to just own those babes, but not to play with them. Emulators are far better then that. PSX emulators car run MUCH better then the original PSX for instance, and PS2 emulator is going very well too

-- Rogue
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 18:16
Hehe, consoles would'nt be as much fun if they did'nt have these weird problems, gives them personality . Like the spectrum could be destroyed by removing the Joystick interface while it was on, the C64 never liked the tape lead being yanked out, and the Amstrad hated being thrown from windows.

Yeah, emulation is the future - imagine, all you'd need is a PC, and you instantly have access to thousands of games for free. I mean how can you be bored on your computer with all those classics out there?
The speccy was about the first computer to be widely emulated, and practically every game ever made for it is available to download, and it takes like 2 seconds to download a speccy game too!. The cool thing is people still make stuff for defunct computers and release them as roms, I recently played a little test demo of Doom for the Speccy!, it was nothing like it except it was sorta 3D and had the same gun and hand, but at least they tried!.

Van-B
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
But you still need some way to allow 2 (or more) equal controllers (joysticks mouse trackball or joypads) for these emulators to really emulate a console.

I wish that DB would address this with a hardware/software upgrade. I'd pay and then we'd create some arcade translatons for DB and they could bundle the best of them with the upgrade.

Let DarkBASIC Turn Your PC into an XBOX
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 19:09
I use a cool USB adaptor for joysticks. It allows me to connect both N64 pads or Playstation 1/2 pads. With an external device, it's possible to even simulate ForceFeedBack. Besides emulators, works smootly with most of the PC games...indeed old ones won't even be identified
U know, I wish I could make a game to Super Nintendo, but I don't have a clue how to start. Make it a nice little thing and let be free on the net... Super Nintendo was, without any doubt, the console I've played most , followed by PSone I wish I could code something to them

-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2002 21:24
my computer can run anything =D... i dont need consoles... and my zaurus can run win 98se with starcraft... at school... imagine that

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 05:05
sorry puff.

u lack a few Oses that your pc will never run

Solaris
PPC mac
IRIX

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 06:06
=P just had to find some didnt you ...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 06:21
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2002 06:23
=D no problem... >=) my palm pilot can run xp pro too...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:27:47