Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / MS is a piece of crap

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 17:49
It's the third time I get the same problem with MS. The first was with Win98 and now with XP. After install Visual Studio + Direct X SDK, something funny may happens with the media player. The program ( Media Player ) crashes and complains with a message box about a missing .dll called quartz.dll. Some DivX and other avi files won't run(somes, not all). Also, something weird bugs my browser in some webpages where I got a messge somewhat like this:
"Error find at line 307, do you want open Visual C++ for debugging?". If u say so, then it opens the Visual C++ and u can try to fix the webpage u were surfing urself... What crappy thing is this?

Now, just one thing to fix it... formating again. Unistalling the crap SDK ( really bad designed to code in DirectX if I might say it too ) wont fix the problem and not even reintalling the OS. It's needed a formating. Alternativly I could use another program to play Avi's as DivX or Winamp3.

The point is... MS has 95% of the marketing as OS. U may try Linux or whatever u want as a work around... but u wont be satisfied. It will always lack media or enterteninment with other OS. I've paid for all my MS OS since the 95, because when I buy a new computer, it usually comes with a CD of the OS (windows, indeed). But MS sucks... from now one I won't pay a damn program/game/os of them.... I will download all the junk.
Sorry...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:00
I know what you mean, it's as if installing a microsoft SDK means that's all your gonna use your PC for. There should really be 2 versions of each SDK, one with the advanced stuff, and a smaller less complicated version for normal people.

My media player is dead, because I installed the DX8 VB6 SDK a while back, MS can keep their SDK's from now on, I won't be downloading another one.

Van-B
Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:07
Nononono, everything's fine with the sdk... get rid of the debug dll's and everything'll work fine. I had the problem too

thy boss
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:08
U r totally right. We must use the computer only with MS SDK... it kills the machine that junk.... From now one I will stick with Borland C++/DevC++ and DarkBASIC only... I cannot believe I will have to format again... That's exactly the cofig I used DX8 VB6 SDK.... I get so mad with this MS...... and their products are damn expensive Games/programs/OS and their support really sucks... I'm off of paying them... from now on just borrow copies or download it...

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:08
Bitmap

please, please please...tell me how

-- Rogue
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:10
I haven't had any problems with the DX8 SDK & Windows XP, athough I think it replaces some DX DLL's with the debug versions.

I suspect another program has mucked around with the quartz.dll.

Good news everybody! I really am THAT good...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:11
Bitmap - how ?

How to do what to bitmaps ?

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:12
That's what sucks most with WinXP.... we cannot unistall Media Player or DirectX... it's part of the system, otherwise we could just unistall and install again those components.... I will really come back to win98... 2.5 Gigas for a OS and it's not even worthy

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:14
MrTAToad: lol, I asked Bitmap how to get rid of the debug dlls...

well, I just took the junk off (Visual Studio 6.0, DirectJunk X SDK), and still ask for debugging my DivX's and some webpages...

-- Rogue
Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:15
I'll take a look and reply in a second ...

thy boss
Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:17
ok, go to

[DX_SDK_PATH]\SDKDev\Windows XP\

open dxxpchk.zip and inside it there's a little app undxxpdbg.exe. Run it!

hope it helps

thy boss
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:26
Hmmm, I just took off the SDK . I basicaly wanna make my media player to run. Now I went to the messy hp of ms and downloaded a newer Media Player... still does not run. I get this message now when running Avi's / DivX

"invalid audio but not signaling an error."
At line 477 of d:\xpclient\multimedia\dshow\filterus\avi\avimsr\aviindex.cpp
"(Continue? Cancel to debug)"

Whatever I choose, it crashes totally and shows up the following:

Executable: wmplayer.exe Pid 55c Tid 510. Module quarts.dll, 306 objects left active!
At line 317 of d:\xpclient\multimedia\published\dxmdev\dshowdev\base\dllentry.cpp
Continue? (cancel to debug)

Then... finally crashes... I am TIRED of MS...

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:26
or...for what I got, the stupid SDK messed up the Media Player with that crap Direct Show of them...

-- Rogue
Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:27
you only uninstalled the sdk... the debug dll's aren't removed that way.... you'll have to do it my way

btw it'll work for sure cos I got the exact same error

thy boss
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:28
Go on the MSDN maybe you'll find your answer.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:36
Its a real pain how MS have got DX - it should never have been a COM object, mainly because its a real pain to program. It'll get worse as more features are added too...

Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:39
I heard the COM interface will be dropped in future releases

thy boss
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:40
Yep that's what they said about DX9.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:41
Bitmap: It worked man... how could u find out such thing??? Man.... THANK YOU VERY MUCH... If I were a girl I should probaly love u...hheheh

Now, another question... is it any "safe" way to install VS6.0 + DirectX SDK without get more grey hairs??? I soon look like Rogue from the X-Men with this damn MS things...

Thanks u all also for the help. That's why I love this forum Well... I suddenly start to get entrested about OpenGL....how strange...

-- Rogue
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:44
lol

Check out Purebasic maybe you'll like it then.

Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:44
I just use the runtime version of DX... or perhaps there's some way to avoid installind DShow debug drivers... don't know really

btw I found it out on google. Only took me about 5 minutes

thy boss
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:46
I heard you could use DX with MSVSC++6.0 without any SDK?

Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:47
well basically you only need the include files, dx installed and import libs... SDK's there only to help one to learn it... so yes you could do so

thy boss
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:48
Cool thing!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:52
It'll be good if they do drop the COM interface - should make it much easier to re-install if needed and to program.

Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 18:55
will propably have to do a bit of re-coding though :S

thy boss
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 20:55
What version of Windows XP - Home|Pro|Corp ?
What Service Packs do you have installed - None|SP1|SP1 ?
What version of Visual Studio - 5 (96) |6 (98) |7 (.Net) ?
What version of DirectX SDK - 7.1 | 8.0 | 8.1 | 8.1b | 9.0 ?
Do you install the Debug DirectX or use the Retail?
Finally what version of Meida Player are you using 8.0|8.1|8.2?

i'll probably be able to help if you lemme know what you have and don't have ... FGS whatever you do don't contact Microsoft they'll just tell you they've logged the problem and lookout for a patch soon, after like an hour long phonecall at $5/min lol (insane)

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Bitmap
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 21:00
take a look above. he already solved his problem

thy boss
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 21:27
Thanks Mr. Raven, but Mr. Bitmap already helped me However, I will post here my spec. so if it happens with someone else, u know how to fix

-Windows XP Professional
-None
-Visual Studio 6 Professional
-Microsoft SDK 8.1b
-I was using the Debug Install.
-Windows Media Player 9.00.00.2926 ( hehe, this is what stand in about ).

Anywayz, I got exactly the same problem with Win98 once. I guess SDK install some incompatible junk on Media Player for DirectShow usage.... very bad. I really wish I could use only the lib/include of the instead of installing the hole thing

-- Rogue
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 23:09
...just out of nowhere: They have the worst site I've ever seen...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2002 23:14
hahhaa... their site is as bad as their products... whatever u type in the search returns some weird results. Browsing is something to mages do. Their online support is a joke... MS is a joke. Everything I bought from them I regret, joysticks, joypads, "O Asses". The problem is...they are the One... And we all acept it and use it... if companies as macromedia could give more support for Linux, MS should last no longer, that's for sure....

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 00:33
lol ... i quite like thier site's look
But is terrible to navigate and .Net is just WAY to slow

As for the problem, couldn't be bothered to read the whole post - my head hurt to much. But Service Pack 1 solved ALOT of problems XP had for me.

You can install only the needed components for the SDK, but still mess's about with everything.
Would say, don't use the Debug version of DirectX its bugged itself (way to go Microsoft hehee)
I'd check the site for VS 6.0/98 updates as SP5 is pretty good, does fixx some annoying bugs especially in the IDE.

Microsoft support is just beyond a joke thou, its now at the point of "are they seriously callin' this support?"
If you can't find what you're looking for form the easy to use autohelp you can call an operator who is just to waste your time for several hours giving you a phone bill that even bill himself would have a heart attack over, just to tell you "wait for the next patch"

Last time I phone up over a problem was over what Raps recently had ... ended up throwing my cell against the wall and needing a new one hehee :

rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 03:04
ya, looks ok but the navigation and organization... piece of shit, excuse the term.

The problem with waiting for the next patch is they have so many probs to deal with, they just ignore everything except the easy fixes... someone should take a fish and slap bill gates. In public... like the time when Bill got pied in the face.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
actually you DO have the option of NOT installing the debug DLLs when you install the SDK. i didn't because of all the horror stories i heard about them the SDK is just fine; DX is not that hard once you get some decent tutorials (great C++ ones at www.andypike.com). everything works fine without the debug DLLs

i'm looking at yooooou!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 04:01
hahaha He should be arrest and forced to use Win95 for 10 years on jail... They are stealing us with it's soft prices...

Hmmm, I will try to reinstall without the Evil Dlls.... thanks DrakeX

-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 10:47
=D lol ... i found learning dx and opengl easy... =P but doesnt it warn you if you have visual basic installed that there might be complications... and mine asks me if i want debugging mode or normal sdk mode =D...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Zooker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 03:54
Rogue is 200% right in my book!!! MSN is a Pied Piper of Inconsistancies! If gates would of went on and made Basic PDS Version 7.1 compile to windows I would't be in this mess now!! He made it compile to OS2 but he would't support the Basic Programers who made him a bunch of Money! No language is the be all and end all of anything. All have good points and Bad points. But Mr gates made windows not soley as an operating system but a way to drive most everybody out of the market Place. You say he did this with good products. Baloney, he made it so its difficult to program to especially if you don't have his over priced products.

It took Years to Make Me this Stupid!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 05:09
Zooker I agree 300% with you . DirectX is far complicated and bad designed. It just a junk out in the market, but it's the ONLY way to create top market games. Even high level programers complain about it. The thing is, MS knows it's a junk bad designed, but they also know they rule the world and everything they trow in the market we will use and acept... or else what shall we do? Use Linux and stay crashing and reading loads of "read me" to know how to instal Netscape?
The problem with DirectX is that it's not user friendly. Specially with 8.0 where they joinned Direct Draw and Direct 3D... it made even harder for newcomers to understand it... Really bad designer, but once the hardwarez keep making video cards for DirectX, things wont ever change... We need MS to live, and it's dangerous to depend only from a company... it's like if we all depend from a unic place to eat... if someday we run out of food... Hope u got the idea

Zooker I came kinda stupid over u in another topic, I ask my sinceres apologizes...

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 07:09
Oh yeah... someone may say u could alternativily use OpenGL... OpenGL was good at Quake 2 and Half-Crap-Life times.... Today is hardly decently supported my newer video cards and DirectX is faster and has more features, but still bad designed two hours to initialize DirectX is a little pain in da ***

-- Rogue
Zooker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 20:18
No Problem Rogue! !
I think Bill Gates went too far when he wrapped up everything to gether. An operating system is far too important to have all those applications tied to it they way he tied them Up! The guy is raving genuis and he could of made an operating system that does that really well, but he could't of tied up the market that way. For that I dislike him intensely!

It took Years to Make Me this Stupid!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 01:04
ya'll aware that DirectX is only actually a huge fix for a fudge up Microsoft made in the first place by taking away direct hardware access within Windows...
they still haven't given it back yet - its why OpenGL on the Mac is just quite a bit faster

Not to be funny thou, but he isn't the only top exectutive of microsoft, just the most well known programmer and founder of it.
Microsoft as a whole is probably the best business in the world, being capable of selling everyone software which has been flawed for years and beating off better opponents.

Gotta say I was kinda itchy about how well the hyper-priced Xbox would do on the console market. But they filled it with a fully laden PC Hardware setup, and it is much larger heavier than the GameCube - but the fact that its as much an eyesore as the PS2 doesn't matter considering they setup for the Online stuff, the fact that all games that are to be on XBox and PC are deliberatly delayed for PC users meaning if we want then now we much have the Box... some of the games we'd been waiting years for became Xbox only.

Whether you like it or not - you want these things you'll part with your money and they've done it again.

The whole point in thier stragetic is make sure there are no other choices - when that happens its homeward bound for sucess.

Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 01:56
I'd like to take this opportunity to commend Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda, on their recent generous grant of $100 Million to India to help fight their growing AIDS epidemic!

I think there is definitely a personal tie in for Gates, because India has a large on flourishing IT industry.

Looks like Bill is not all bad after all!

The Yellow Jester does not play but gently pulls the strings
And smiles as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 02:07
Careing and Smart
Though anyone else wish he'd change from lookin' like an A-Typical Nerd?

A good french crop is what he needs

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 02:15
Alternativly u can choose not to pay for it

-- Rogue
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 02:18
you know, microsoft spftware and technology is like an addictive drug, you hate it, but your so hooked and dependent on it that you don't know what you'd do withought it!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 02:35
hexgear exactly Like girls or old cars... Bad with them, worse without them

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 03:09
I could live without the cars... but the girl - Damn i live in LA that'll be ALOT harder!

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 04:19
hehehe, I live in Sweden If u have a car, automaticly u get a girl

-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 13:43
ROFLMAO

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 14:06
-hehehe, I live in Sweden If u have a car, automaticly u get a girl

that's a common fact.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:26:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:26:14