Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BattleTanks2!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 02:03
I'm making another game, BattleTanks2!

goto http://www.cyberluke.com/battletanks2.htm to download it.
www.CyberLuke.com
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 02:41
Sweet! Fast, fun, and up to 6 players.

I presume it's just in development - it's coming along nicely!

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 08:06
Thanks for the reply! ya, made over the past few days, so it's just a start (v0.1)
players 5 and 6 don't have any keys, the keyboard would be too crowded. Well, in case you don't know what the controls are yet here they are:

player 1:
shoot - enter
forward - upkey
backward - downkey
left turn - leftkey
right turn - rightkey

player 2:
shoot - left control key
forward - w key
backward - s key
left turn - a key
right turn d key

player 3:
shoot - numpad 0
forward - numpad 5
backward - numpad 2
left turn - numpad 1
right turn - numpad 3

player 4:
shoot - spacebar
forward - i key
backward - k key
left turn j key
right turn l key

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 16:00
does anyone have have any ideas? has anyone encountered any bugs?
so far, I have tought up a couple ideas myself, and I wanted to know if anyone else liked them:

-limited ammo, so you need to 'look' for ammo boxes around the level and stuff.

-health boxes, so you can regain health.

-'paint a tank', choose you tanks color, little add-on thing

-AI difficulty settings

-shield boxes you can pick up, they will protect the tank until the shield has no more health, and is destroyed

-Time limit mode, that's ajustable, co you can play for, say 5 minutes, after that, add up the kill counts and see who won

-Kill limit mide, everyone starts with, say five lives, and you play until only one person has at least one life left.

So, anyone like any of my ideas?
I'm willing to accept your ideas also!

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 21:58
I've thought up some more things I might add:

invisibility box, shoot to locate tank

warp box, warps the tanks to a random spot on the board

reflective shield, like the normal shield, but also bounces missiles off it

don't have a name for it yet, but a box that you can shoot to move, like a movable wall.

tank movers, conveyor(sp?) belts that move any tank that's on them quickly in the direction the belts is rolling.

anyone have any ideas on what I should add?

www.CyberLuke.com
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2002 22:33
All the ideas are great, especially "paint-a-tank"!

I love Star Trek.
Especially the Episodes with Starships in.
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 04:28
Mines!

Ka-BOOOM mwahahahahaha.

Who wants cake? I've got a little slice of hell for everyone.
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 04:50
Thanks for the replies!
David:
I think I'll have it in the options, you will choose the amount of R, G and B for each tank.

I'm also going to have the basic sound on/off options, as well as music options.

So there's no ideas you don't like? great!

Miirthin:

thanks for the idea, sounds just as great as all the other stuff. Will, probably add it someday. As for now, these will be in the next demo version:

-limited ammo, so you need to 'look' for ammo boxes around the level and stuff, in boxes.

-health boxes, so you can regain health some of your health.

-'paint a tank', choose you tank's RGB color in the options menu.

-teleporting, teleport to a random spot on the board, to flee you enemies!

I want a vote, who thinks these boxes should be random, and who thinks they should be marked. (so that say the health box has a little red cross, and the ammo has something else ect.

-another future idea would be to have bomb creates, so they explode, like 3 sec. after they are collected at the position they were collected. This would be good if a tanks was chasing you.

I might also have a second fire button for every player, stop not for at least a couple versions, if ever.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 04:57
As of now, I'm done creating the 'paint a tank'. All it need now is a preview so you can see what the tank looks like when you paint it.
I forgot but the next version will also have sould and music on/off options. Then maybe in a couple versions I'll add the feature to enable/disable stuff, like health boxes and cloaking boxes ect.

Also, the next version will be the first version to be completly 3D in gameplay, the current version has all 3D except the missiles they are lines.
With the game being 3D and all there will/may be better camera angles and stuff. Next to add will be health boxes, then ammo boxes, then teleport boxes. These boxes will apear in random parts of the playing field and once used, will go to a different position and maybe (randomly) change it type (like from say a health box to an ammo box).

www.CyberLuke.com
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 12:06
CL: For the preview, you could use set camera view to show a 3D preview but still draw 2D?

I love Star Trek.
Especially the Episodes with Starships in.
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2002 20:41
Thanks for the idea David, now I have it so the camera spins around a plain, that looks just like the ones used in the intro movie. Today I might start adding Health boxes. And I'm going to add sound and music on/off options if anything.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 03:54
"Today I might start adding Health boxes"
Now I'm almost done with them !
I don't know if I'll be able to work on it during the week though
But the next thing to add will be ammo

www.CyberLuke.com
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 07:58
Waaaaaaaay Cool dude!

My idea:

1. A mix of = Virtual On Cyber Troopers + Worms

Before the start of the game, u can select your own Super Weapon (from Worms) example: Big Laser Cannon, Jet Fighter Assistant, Multiple Missles, etc etc (i'll think of some more soon!)

Then, this weapons can only be used in a slow 'charging + timing' way (from Virtual On). This way, the tanks can only use the weapons at certain period of times, when the weapons are fully charge! When its fired, its starts charging again!

2. Secret Tanks - MACHINES OF MASS DESTRUCTIONS! Could try to have severals of them. Only playable when certain conditions are met inside the game.

:---------------------------:

Well, maybe my idea is bad ... just trying to help ...

Snake? What happened?
Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell
[sd]http://www.planetps2.com/metalgear/images/Series/msx/MetalGear2SolidSnake/mglogo.gif[/df]
Kohai of UWDesign
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2002 09:50
screenshots ??

[Kohai]
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[url] [url]kohaistyle.com[url]
pIII 733/256 Ram/Geforce 256
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 04:34
I'll post some up a a minute

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 05:49
Ok, a minute later, and here they are, look on my site (can't post screens on this forum)
By the way, I ment a Microsoft Minute

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 05:50
anyone like how the 'paint a tank' is coming along?

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 05:52
oh and the little white boxes are part of the next version, they're health boxes, so far untextured. I'll add a little 'H' or red '+' on them.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 00:04
guess no one liked the screens . well, I'm still working on it, now the boxes are textured. And I'm almost done with the ammo coding. The main thing now is making the AI smarter. Like if health<=20 then seek health boxes. And if ammo<=5 then seek ammo boxes. Else just shoot player, or go after boxes, but make the player twice as 'cheap' to go after. hmm, I didn't put up the sound options or the music options, and that will be the smallest part of the addition, I'll get around to it sometime. I'll also need to work on the teleporting a bit, will probably have it like a box with a 'T' on it. So once those 3 main things are done then a demo will show up. I hope by the end of this week even.

www.CyberLuke.com
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 00:15
Well, here is a shot from your page. Just paste the http text link

http://www.cyberluke.com/BattleTanks2/BT2screen17.jpg

by right clicking the pic, then going to PROPERTIES and pasting the link to the obejct in here and surrounding it with [img][/img]

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 00:16
I meant surround the link with the IMG button.

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 01:30
thanks, I didn't know how to use the img button before

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 01:42
Hey cool it works!

Ok, so, maybe I'll be done with the next demo before the end of the week. I think all the boxes, like health and ammo and tlelporting are done. And also the AI brain is updated, and in the testing stage. Right now, it gets the x and y position of the closest player, health,ammo, and teleport (even though it doesn't care about the teleport right now)
then it gets all the REAL distances from the AI to each of them. then devides the player's dist by 10 (to 'want' to go for the player)
and also multiplies the dist of the ammo dist by the ammo count. and multi. the health dist by the health. then devides the ammo dist by 60 and devides the health dist by 100 (so it wants to have around 100 health and around 60 ammo normally). It doesn't do anything with the teleport right now. then if finds the closest dist and puts it in a variable(if target=1 the go after closest player ect.) then it does some VERY quick and VERY DUMB BASUC pathfinding, thats just a bit smarter than just pointing the ai at the player, and then moves.
AI firing
If the ai has ammo and the target is a player and if the ai is aiming in the correct direction and the waittime for the ai is <= 0 then it fires a missile.
the waittime is there so it waits a bit between each missile to 'reload' and not give the game 3 FPS every ti me an AI fires 100 missiles.

So, all that's left is adding the options, I think I'll use moochoo's checkbox function for that, I haven't seen him around the forums for awhile.
And that will be simple, like 'if sound(0)=1 then play sound i' ect. I may even be done tonight, I don't have a whole lot of homework. But I do have a bit, and I really ned to test the game a bit before I release it and stuff.

www.CyberLuke.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 02:09
By the way, good going with your game. Its quite cool but if you had it in 3D and the camera slightly angle up and positioned back, you could have an even better game. If you want to make this conversion, I can make the 3D models for you and help you with stuff like the code for collisions and animation. If you had 3D, you could have turrets mounted on the blocks that fire at the person closest to them, and have different camera angles. Remember, if you need any help with this, just let me know. (Im great with 3D models and programming)

Im looking forward to see your next demo
Keep up the good work

Benjamin R W

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 03:05
Thanks petrat, the game is already 3D completly, just not 3D object, just flat 3d objects. I'll try to angle the camera back a bit. right now the camera is point forward, and the board is completly x/y axis only, with one object for the back. I'm actually considering having turret boxes, that plants a turret where the box was or something.

www.CyberLuke.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 09:41
I might try and make a similar game. But it might not work........... oh yeah, i try to do stuff with images on DBpro and it messes all the pictures up! Which means I will have to use 3D objects, but I dont mind.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 09:42
yeah, its weird but I do like the game even though the graphics are simple

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 06:25
Ok, I've been working on this next version for a week, has lots of cool new things, hope you like it, I'm doing the final tests then it'll be done by tonight, I hope. I decided to not have the sound and musics options, instead I have a cool camera control thingy, to make the game appear more 3D, I think the next version, the one after this coming one, v1.3 will have lots of options. This one has 'paint a tank', basic color RGB value ajuster(or how ever thats spelled LOL). I think I'll be posting up some screens on my site tonight, probably within the next hour.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 06:50
Uploading screens! check out my BattleTanks2 page on my site.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 07:07
Uploading BattleTanks2 Version 0.2!
Notice: This is the first version with the new AI, and the AI need to be smarter to play in the game now, so, sometimes the AI crash into walls, and go insane and stuff. They need to prioritize their movements, like should it get more health, or more ammo ect. And I'm still fine tuning that process. The bigest problems for the AI are, when the x and y differences are the same between it and it's target(you, health or ammo) and when you are less then a couple grid blocks from the AI. So, the AI may act a little wacky, that's all.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 07:09
Ok, it's up, good night.

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 19:08
I thought at least somebody would try v02, with all the replies from v01. Here's the link to down load it, if anybody cares: http://www.cyberluke.com/battletanks2.htm
here's a screen:

and one of 'paint a tank':

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 19:09
hmmmm, the img button didn't work , well there are like 10 pics on my site .

www.CyberLuke.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2002 21:22
The new version is cool!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 05:39
Thanks!

www.CyberLuke.com
Luke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 05:52
I'm trying to decide what I should try to add into the next version,v0.3, I think I'll add these two:

-invisibility box, makes the tank become nearly invisible, get momentarily visible when the tank shoots, another way to find where the tank is if you see a box sudenly disapear, that means a tank is probably near there.

-shield boxes you can pick up, like health and ammo, they will protect the tank until the shield has no more health, and is destroyed. So basicly the tank has another 1.2 a life. The shields will probably start with 50 health, so 10 shots will destroy. if you think the shield should have more/less life then say so, I'm open to suggestions.

I think I'll add reflictive shields and rocks, and tank movers in the version after, v0.4.
I think I'll also make the camera till up/down/left/right a bit also. And try to fix up that AI stuff.
Oh ya, that reminds me, has anyone found any bugs yet? I'm dieing to know, I hate bugs. Also if you think the AI reasoning should be modified then say so, so I can know and consider the change, and fix any out right bugs you find.

www.CyberLuke.com
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 13:31
There is one bug. I can only run the game once then after that, every time i run the game my computer goes so slow that it looks like its crashed!

I cant remember what the error message said....

My Specs:

Windows XP
Athlon XP 1800+
60GB Hard Disk
256MB RAM

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Good game Cyber. Me like it.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
I just went to your home page and whoooa.
Me like. Me like a lot. Me gonna steal that effect.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:19:20
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:19:20