Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Cartography Shop & Infinity Textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 14:54
My biggest problem with learning DB has been not having any models etc to play around with. I really do intend to start learning DB this time (seen as I have it and haven't done owt with it) so I'm getting DarkMatter for it's models and was wondering.
Are Cartography Shop and Infinity Textures worth having??
They aint too cheap for my studenty budget but I'm considering saving up for them.
What's everyone heres opinion on them??
Could I do the stuff IT does with PSP5 and the GIMP??

Thanks for your help
System: Athlon TBird 800Mhz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2MX440, DX8.1
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 00:26
If you install DarkBasic Full (450-somthing Mbyte) almost 400Mb of that is textures, models, sounds, music etc.

Not exactly great quality by good for placemarkers to get a feel of what you want the game to be like until you have some made specially.
Just search the media directory in
[drive]:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic\
and i'm sure you'll find what you want.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 12:15
okay cool, thanks
Waht about those prog's though.. are they any good?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 12:59
Yeah, they're expensive, but if you can afford them they'd make a great little level editing suite, basically everything you need for making .BSP levels. Of course, it'll be better when DBS sort out lightmaps, but there's nothing stopping you working on it in the meantime.

My free seamless texture app might come in useful too, look for VanSEAM on my website, and be sure to read the user guide:

http://www.andrewvanbeck.btinternet.co.uk

Van-B
Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 13:10
thanks, I've just DL VANSeam and will check it out later

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 07:28
I dummo about the Infinity Textures, but I love CShop. It's an easy to learn tool for making "simple" levels to convert to BSPs in DBPro.
Also, I made a 5 minutes skyscraper city in it and was able to export all the collision box data so I can interact with the model. (.X Export)
It maps textures just like DB does if you'd make object X and texture object X,Y. You can only use one texture per "object", but you can use several objects and make it look like one object to use more textures.

Take a look at my jetpack screens in the Beta section to see the buildings.

-Kensupen
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 08:12
Think the Lightmaps in DBpro are better than some games, particularly JK2 Multiplayer Version (yup still waiting for that patch RavenSoft )

Gmax 1.2 with Tempest is good for levels and models, when they sort out the MD3 to load perfectly (if 1.03 hasn't already done this) then its probably one of the better options all round.
Plus its free, which doesn't matter unless you try to sell the game in which case you'll own id software $50k and Discreet $5k

MayaPLE also is outstanding for world development, and very good for low polygon character due to its shared characteristics with Milkshape.

there are a few more tools out there you can use for free if you don't charge for your game.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 05:15:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 05:15:10