Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just got and installed Windows Xp Pro yesterday...and already I have some probs. DarkBASIC's fogging effects don't work, yet when I do the following program it says I have the capability to use fogging...

Many games I made and examples that come with darkbasic such as Cave Runner have cheap-fogging...probably 3 shades of shadows...even executalbe files such as Magic World (the best free DarkBASIC level editor) can't have fogging (or has the cheap-o fogging)... I'm sure many of you have had this prob...is there any way to fix it?
If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 01:37
Fog works fine for me in enhanced and pro ... pro has better linear volumetrics but thats about it.

what card you got?

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way...the compatibility wizard does not help a bit...

If life gives you a lemon, shove it up a water gun and squirt it into someone's eyes!
sgalland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 03:39
You might want to get new xp drivers for your video card.
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
good idea...I'll try that and let you know!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2002 09:52
Compatibility wizzard... erm huh? hahaa
still would be good to know the chipset here

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
I went to windows update and left my PC up for 2.5-3 hours on windows update (I don't have DSL , yet...). and it didn't fix my prob , I suppose if I update my direct x driver it will fix the prob or so...

1. directx 8.0 for win 98(I think its 98)
2. directx 8.1 for win 2000
3. uninstal and reinstal DBE

which should I do?

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
I simply installed the Direct X that the DB Archive Disc had... didn't fix my prob, maybe if I change my monitor settings...

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven Vegeta asked you about which video card that you have.
You should answer.

Why? Because many times these effects are controlled from an obscure setting in the properties panel and someone else may be able tp help you out.
sgalland
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 20:02
Dude, windows update is NOT going to update your video card drivers. If you have an Nvidia card, go to their website, if you have a ATI card go to their website, if you have another card that I didn't mention, go to their website and download the DRIVER off their WEBSITE. Not Windows Update
Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 21:04
DON't install any version of DX except WinXP ones, WinXP has the latest (or a very recent) stable DX out of the box so that aint your problem.
Try getting drivers for yourt graphics card like sgalland said

System: Athlon TBird 800Mhz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2MX440, DX8.1
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
I know windows update isnt going to update my graphics card but windows Xp Pr is responsible for the loss of my fogging effects...I went to Windows Update to see if they had a patch for Win Xp Pro...I'll go to the graphics card website

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 22:32
the only thing that does effects like foging, and lighting and stuff, is the graphics card. your OS(WindowsXP) doesnt control stuff like that. Your card does!

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
MY OS MODIFIED MY CARD!!!!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 23:51
IT CANT MODIFY THE CARD COZ ITS ROM NOT RAM. If ya have voodoo, that may be why its crap..i hear voodoo is crap

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Voodoo is good...and yes I have voodoo...but I had fogging before...

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 01:21
TGWDNGHN

Ahhhhhh!! So that's why you have been slagging off MatEdit all over these forums...

You have a Voodoo GFX card. That explains everything!

You did know that Voodoo cards were old, slow, obsolete when it comes to XP drivers and not ideal for using with Dark Basic didn't you? Apparently not.

Give up with your XP problem and get adecent GFX card!

TDK
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 02:26
i knew it

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
actually I hate MatEDIT cause its sucks, is slow...I HAVE NOTHING AGAIST THE GRAPHICS...my dad told my that Vodoo sucks so I'ma either gonna get a new card or a new pc (dude your getting a dell!)... I'll tell you if the new card works...thanks for the moment !

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 00:14
Matedit isn't slow...period.

Voodoos were good at the time when 3dfx games existed though. lol

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
For me it is...but Magic world has so many more and easier to use features...I gotta fast PC and I KNOW compared to Magic World MatEDIT is SLOOOOOOOOOW!

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys... I can't get a new Pc yet for personaly reasons...my Voodoo3 card worked perfectly fine before...perfect fogging, shadow effects, ect. I just wonder...It has no compatability probs with Win Xp...what modifications do you think Win Xp made that I can't have REAL fogging/Shadow effects??? I might be able to remodify it...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 20:18
MatEdit never runs for me

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
trust me...MatEDIT has sucky features...crashes alot... I never even learned how to use it! but magic world never crashes...is so easy to use that you don't even need to read the manual first! But I recomend it if you want auto-tiling

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 01:21
magic world is great. I tried it today

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
Finnaly...I have influenced my person to join the I hate MatEDIT side a.k.a I love Magic World or anything else as long as its not related to MatEDIT in anyway...

Can we stick on the subject...my dad won't let me get a new video card...he says I'm gonna get a new PC next year when they have better PC packs... I need to undo the configuration Win Xp Pro did...I just don't know which one... Which one could it be?

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2002 22:30
TGWDNGHN,

I hate to burst your bubble, but even Microsoft says that XP doesn't "support" Voodoo cards. They might work, but M$ won't guarantee how good. Voodoo went under about 2-3 years ago. The company isn't even there anymore. You can get a cheap GF2 MX 200 for $30-$40 on the internet. Anyone over the age of 10 can come up with that kinda money in about 1-2 weeks.

-Kensupen

P.S. I also have XP, but I use a Radeon 8500 64MB and Matedit isn't slow by any means. My only prob is that it's not good with DBPro yet.
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
I know...I have all the money but my dad wants me to get the whole PC set when they REALLY Improve (at the rate of dell...the 2003 PC will be like a year 6000 compared to today's standards)

AceDad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2002 02:14
I had Windows Xp But now I am going to replace it!

The truth is Windows XP is AWFULL it will screw up alot of your stuff!!! If you can Get Rid Of It!!!

Microsoft Deleted lots of Drivers (so the system would seem less bugy) some of wich will afect things like 3DC for example It just won't run!!!

I recomend Windows 98 the second edition its got the best system (though its a bit bugyer than windows 98 original) (it has more Drivers)

TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
BOY! I HAQD WIN 98 SECOND EDITION! IT WAS SO PERFECT BUT I DECIDED TO "get the best"!, But how does it screw everything up? try using the compatibility wizard...that works...and not only that, the only rob in Win Xp is the fogging function...

Hockey07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 04:55
I still have Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Home Edition. DB runs fine for me, other than for loading .bsp files, and .bmp files... GO GET WINDOWS 98 AGAIN!!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 17:18
Maybe windows XP is not compatible with voodoo cards :-P

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 21:17
MAybe Windows XP isn't compatible

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Windows 98SE
with the about 28 patches applied to it and IE is
(after Windows2000),
the second most stable Windows today.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 02:17
Exactly (i didnt catch a word of that...)

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 07:47
Voodoo cards 4 & 5 series are ok on xp however you must get the lastest driver for them to work properly. Also be aware that the shadowing may play up with direct x 8 or higher. The Last modified released driver can be found at
http://www.voodoofiles.com/3dfxhelp.asp

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 13:17
I wouldn't trust Voodoo drivers on XP, especially as they haven't been written by 3DFX/NVidia, and thus haven't been WHQL'd

It would be best to get a new graphics card.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
Oh my, yes...
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 11:51
yeah but WHO actualy has a voodoo card anyway? i havent

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:44:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:44:49