Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / MULTISCAPE Landscape Editor - Released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 16:01 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2005 14:11
V1.1 Now Released. Here is a list of additions/fixes:

MULTISCAPE free, easy to use landscape editor for DBPro has now been released. My first complete piece of software since the retro comp.

EDIT (2/11/05)
For anyone actually looking at this thread any more, here is a link to the latest version of Multiscape (v1.1).

http://www.changi.f9.co.uk/MS1-1.rar

No images any more, sorry!

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 16:38
dammit! you post in the WIP forum about your latest attempt at a matrix editor and then hamish goes and finishes something this good! The shots look amazing! I'm just checking out the tutorial before i do anything else...

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 16:42 Edited at: 9th May 2004 17:11
Lol, I just put the tut in there for stupid people . It's really quite simple to use.

I saw your matrix editor and it looks really good, and besides this isn't a matrix editor, it edits an object.

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:02
When I ran your program an error came up saying runtime error 506 could not load image at line 1177. Do i have to unzip the zip file into a certain directory.

C.M.M
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:09 Edited at: 9th May 2004 17:11
You have to unzip it into a folder. You can't just run the exe from within the zip file.

The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:20
That is what I did. When i ran the exe multiscape file it says runtime error 506 could not load image at line 1177.

C.M.M
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:21
hmm, you tried going to the exec folder and running the untld.exe? That may be the problem.

The thing
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:33
I have tried both exes both bring up the same error message.

C.M.M
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 17:39 Edited at: 9th May 2004 17:41
Poo, it worked for some other people, I don't know why the images aren't loading for you.

Can you check that in the exec folder there are these files...

multiscape.ttl
camROT.bmp
camXZ.bmp
camY.bmp
scapeROT.bmp
outlineBlue.bmp
outlineYellow.bmp

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 18:15
Best landscape editor ever. Excellent job Hamish, and what's even better is that this is free. I'd gladly have paid money for this.

Just amazing.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly known as Yellow)
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 18:19
Thanks Mike . I did consider charging, but in the end I figured I hadn't really put enough time into it to charge for it, and there are lots of other free programs out there that have been worked on for far longer than this.

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2004 18:48
you managed to finish one of your project , now I'm a one man club , better start working

good job hamish!

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 04:48
^_^ Great program. I tried it out, and it's really simple to use.

One question: Can you export to a heighmap?
Diablo Roker
Years of Service
User Offline
DeleD? wtf is that?
Apollo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 10:07
Yea thats what I was wondering, what is Deled, and .dpf format? can it be used just like any other map with the incluede function?

elliot
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 11:08
DeleD is a modeller / level builder that's free. the author is on the forums.

Hamish- man you are on a roll! First the F-Zero demo, now this! looks really impressive. once multi-texturing commands are in DBPro you should update it to support multilayers on a single mesh!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 11:19
FE - I should probably make some support for that. Glenn Carter who made twilight made that import heightmap plugin, so maybe I can get him to write an export one too until next version maybe.

Yeah DeleD is a really cool, free map editor. The website is here:

http://www.delgine.com

Unfortunately DeleD does not yet support things like vertex alpha and colours, so it just exports the mesh with UV coords.

Walaber - Indeed I should, I was worried when I started this project that U6 would come out the day after and it would become obsolete . I will look into multi-texturing when U6 comes out.

Apollo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 11:58
So what proccess are the users suppost to take? Make a map in your program then export it to deled then make it in to a nother format to be used in the game?

elliot
Apollo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 12:02
P,S This software is by far the best I've ever seen. This isnt made by That Knight guy is it? Good work. Dam it looks good.

elliot
Apollo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 12:29
I downloaded delgine and tryed to open a map i made in your program, Delgine isnt useing the same format. Am i seeing things or what?

elliot
Egyptian Mua
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 14:54
Can it be used for DBC?

-Egyptianmua
Logo, QuickBASIC, HTML, DarkBASIC
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 17:08
The way the landscapes pull to or shy away from your mouse is just beautiful. The end results look very organic too

Thumbs up on a job well done

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 18:24
Apollo - No no no, you can save the map as a multiscape format, then use the function I provided to import it into DBPro. You can also export to a DeleD Prefab, which you put in the prefabs folder for DeleD. And no, I'm not Rob Knight (either of them), but the above Rob Knight did create the dll for the GUI .

I could write an import function for DBC, it would have to be the enhanced version though as regular DBC doesn't support memblocks. Once I get a .x export done it will be better, but DBC still doesn't support vertex colours or alpha, so you won't be able to have blended layers or multi-colours.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2004 19:18
Looks good, I'll d/load tonight.

It's also a very good add-on for Deled, because Deled can only create planes with one face.

BatVink
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 21:45
Progress on the .x front... all stuff to do with it is working, apart from vertex alpha, which is weird as vertex colours are working but setting vertex alpha happens in the same place as vertex colours.

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 23:39
BTW I'm open for suggestions for V1.1. On the list so far are...

- More export formats
- Whole layer transparency
- DBPro functions like "get ground height" and a function for finding what layer you are standing on (for sounds and stuff)
- Increased ranges for brush sizes/strengths

Please suggest if you have an idea .

Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2004 23:51
Um.... you could allow us to add reflective surfaces, so we can add things such as water. ^_^

Ooh, and what about an X importer, where we could import our own models, and position them on the landscape.
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 01:35
I'm not sure about water, could you expand on that? At the moment I think it'd just be better to put water in yourself in code.

I think a .x importer would be a good idea, someone suggested it on the llrgt forums too . I think I will add it as a kind of separate tool within Multiscape, and have it export to a different format, just to keep it nice and neat.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2004 10:01 Edited at: 12th May 2004 10:07
Looking good Hamish!

One thing I noticed that could do with your attention though, When you Select FILE>NEW LANDSCAPE there is the option to cancel the request instead of inputing the X or Z sizes. However, clicking cancel has no effect. It seems once selected you are committed to creating a new landscape.

One other thing. Not a fault but a request. Is there any chance of full screen mode. I use 1600x1200 and Multiscape looks lost sat in the middle of it.

Another request (if I may) would be the ability to automatically create 'global' worlds as I like to think of them.
By that I mean wrap-around landscapes so that going off one side will seemlessly bring you to the opposite side. If you can do it, I am sure it would be a very popular feature.
Obviously something like that would require code to achieve and so should be done by the coder but the way I think it would need to be done would require part of the far side of each edge to be repeated, which is what I am asking for. I may be wrong - if there is an easier way then please correct me.

Thanks for listening

sigi
Years of Service
User Offline
An Undo Function, please.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2004 03:00
Quote: "Progress on the .x front... all stuff to do with it is working, apart from vertex alpha, which is weird as vertex colours are working but setting vertex alpha happens in the same place as vertex colours."

Just in case you don't know I think you need to use SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY on the object if you want vertex alpha to work.

Nice program

[beat the machine that works in your head]
KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hamish - Awesome man, this is superb

AramusM
Years of Service
User Offline
would you be able to implement some sort of regional mesh density increase or decrease? Eg having a brush that halves the number of polys under it, or doubles it. then you can add some fine detail for some nice looking rocky outcroping or flatten out and reduce poly's in large rolling plain's. Or even add or subract poly's based on texture brush size and local terain shape. eg, if you use a smaler brush size than the tri you are drawing to it automatically tesselates that region to smaller tri's to give better definition on the texture splat.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2004 22:42
Fantastic! Best land editor I've ever used, and best of all it's a real object not a matrix .

My suggestion for 1.1 would be a tool to edit mega-maps... basically carrying on materials between maps, and allowing the edges of maps to take on the properties of the opposite edges of others. Possibly also 'locking' the vertices of the edges. That'd be a big help.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2004 14:39 Edited at: 18th May 2004 15:16
Excellent! Very professional and it looks great! I'd also like to see the ability for .X objects to be imported, and also a minor niggle is that when you haven't textured the landscape, you can raise the terrain to a point where it's partly white and so it looks invisible against the white background. Perhaps an option to change the background colour in these cases?

The only major issue I can see is speed, there must be some better way to do the texturing without having to make duplicates of the landscape (I guess U6's multitexturing would work but that's out of the question for now). Oh well.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Marthik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 01:45
i tried to make a non-square map, and it acted like it was a square, it wouldn't let me do anything past the smallest side,(IE i made a 5x53 and it only let me do the 5x5)
is this something you could fix easily
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 13:46
Haven't responded in a while...

Scrag - Sure thing, will fix the cancel prob. Fullscreen sounds good. Do you just want the main screen scaled? Cos otherwise I have to make the UI adjust to screen resizes . A wrap around function is one of the things I've been thinking about since I started this project. One way would be to have an offset function (if anyone has used photoshop they'll know), when you shift the points along and round to the other side. Then the edge (now middle) points could average and you could smooth them out. An ideal thing would be to be able to stitch several landscapes together, but the limiting speed factor of DBPro makes this kind of hard. Also I would probably just have to recode the whole thing . I will look into a wrap around function.

Sigi - Good idea, but hard to impliment well. Not for a while if ever probably.

Winch - I've looked into the .x side of stuff, it's a big hassle. I think I may as well wait for U6 and use the save functions.

Aramus - If I did that I'd have to seriously re-code the engine and it'd be more going into the modeller side of stuff.

Mouse - Yeah, that'd be good but hard. Read what I said above.

Marthlik - I will fix .

Everwhat Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 16:52
Hamish this looks fantastic, Downloading it now. I might even use it for the outdoor Deathbed Levels is I can get my lighting & collision system working with it. Give me a while to fiddle with it and I'll get back to you. It looks pretty amazing though

The forum user formerly known as Kangaroo2.
If the apocalypse comes, email me
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 17:30
Btw, how exactly do you 'fade' the above object? Is it just using an alpha map with a transparent texture over the parts people have painted as invisible? Otherwise I have no idea. Would like to know if you're willing to briefly go into the mechanics of it. Thanks.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2004 18:41 Edited at: 21st May 2004 18:43
I use vertex alpha, so you have a model of the landscape for each layer, then you put them on top of each other (all the same height, the higher number models are rendered first, in my import function I load them as one object, but limbs for each layer to keep everything neat). Then you give each vertex an alpha value, and it results in smoothly blended textures. Using alpha maps would be very slow and hard on the memory.

KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
Very Nice....Very Nice Indeed.... I give it a:

out of

Give All The Credit Away
KC27
Years of Service
User Offline
Hamish, one problem, I cant import my .dpf (or whatever format leters they are) into DeleD.....how can I do this?

Give All The Credit Away
GotStatic Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2004 20:17
ok let me get this straight can it be used on DBC ?

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2004 22:24
WMG - Thanks again , and you have to put them into a folder within the prefab folder in the DeleD directory. Then when you load up DeleD it will appear in the prefabs list. The only things DeleD supports is vertex positions (obviously ), and UV coords. So just the basic mesh will be imported.

The basic shape of the landscape and stuff can be imported into DBC ENCHANCED, IF you make your own loading routine using memblocks. The landscapes won't blend due to DBCs lack of vertex alpha support, neither will the colouring work.

Joshua Womack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 05:02 Edited at: 23rd May 2004 05:06
Hello.
Im admittedly a newby to DBPRO. AND Im also new to #D game creation. Please forgive my stupid mistakes.
I recently downloaded Multiscape.

For some reason I am unable to get the example programs to work.
Iget this error when trying to compile:
100011: Could not understand command at line 10
100011: Could not understand command at line 12

The lines in question:
loadLandscape("landscapesTutorial.mts",1,1,1,1,100.0)
loadLandscapeMesh("landscapesTutorial.mts",1,1,2,100.0)

Please, am i missing something obvious.

"Shake, the cloning machine is not a toy. And it certainly aint for making brownies!"
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 15:22
They are functions in the library that I give, basically it calls the code within the function brackets. You will have to include the library if it doesn't load with the .dbpro file. Just go to included files in your editor and add the MULTISCAPELib.dba. If your using the default editor I recommend you change to twilight ide or blue ide (just on an unrelated topic). Also make sure you have upgraded to U5.2.

Joshua Womack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2004 23:24
Are there any code tutorials, or maybe a website that may talk about how to use Multiscape in my code. Im very new to the 3D gaming.

"Shake, the cloning machine is not a toy. And it certainly aint for making brownies!"
FANG_
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Aramus - If I did that I'd have to seriously re-code the engine and it'd be more going into the modeller side of stuff."

But would it be possible to enable moving the vertices a bit? With that it would be possible to make cliffs and walls, the weak point of normal matrices.
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 19:30
if you use the carve "function" you can easily make cliffs and walls in multiscape

Formerly known as "DarkWing Duck"
FANG_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2004 20:13 Edited at: 24th May 2004 20:18
Perhaps i wasnt very exact. If you have tiles with, well, lets say 1 meter length, you cant make a cliff or wall which heigth is just 1 meter or something because you can only edit the y-koordinate. It would be possible if you could also edit the x and z. Every vertex would need 3 koordinates insted of one, but nothing else would change (if i am not wrong)

Example see source next post

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 09:49:17
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 09:49:17