Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sonic on GC =)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 15:48
It was just so suprising to see Sega's latest Sonic game on Nintendo's Game Cube =) A complete triuph for all Nintendo owners!
DigAw.com
Game in developement: The Magic Land
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 16:18
hehee not really ... should checkout that "equal rights" over Sega that Nintendo signed with Sony to save them.

Sony we're screw'd royally but still i kinda think its cool that sonic has a quality new home.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 16:36
I'm not saying it's a triumph that Nintendo owns Sonic or anything, I know Sega lives as a game maker. The point is that Sega's little mascot is now on Nintendo's console =) It's total defeat to have the competitions mascot on your own system =) I never liked Sega or Sonic though...

DigAw.com
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 17:01
-I never liked Sega or Sonic though...

Sonic 2 was good and surprisingly fun....Contrarly to what Sega had brought us before.

If you lived at the time when consoles were limited to Atari,Nes and Master system(others such as Ivision didn't fare well in NorthAm),you'd have gotten a Master just because it WAS better looking.Unfortunatley,that was about it and found myself replaying on the old Vic20(yuk!),Atari and NES all the way!

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 17:37
I personally owned a NES =) Sega always seemed to have boring games and poor controllers (Nintendo alway had more buttons). Sonic is mindless running at super high speed and then you run into some obstacles that just wasn't fun cause they slowed down the game to a halt. Nintendo got Zelda, Mario and Mega Man really high quality series =)

DigAw.com
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 17:44
err...What about the awesome RPG's such FF and draon Warriors series?

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 17:45
'Dragon Warrior'

Please vote foran edit button

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 17:51
Shining Forces 2 was great on Sega but it's nothing like Chrono Trigger on SNES. Btw FF was on NES/SNES and I never liked them. Maybe I should try and find FF6 since ppl say it's the best...

DigAw.com
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 18:30
I too loved many of the classic SNES Rpgs, but for out and out action you couldn't beat the first two Sonic games

I am pleased that Sega continue to develop Sonic games, and its funny to see them on a Nintendo machine.... but unfortunatly Sonic Adventure 2 of GC is an awful awful travesty of a game! Worse than Sonic Adventure 1!

On the plus side, the Sonic Game Boy Advance game (Sonic Advance) is 'wicked'

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 18:38
About FF...Well,there was no FF6 when I got it first and personally,I think it's still one of the bests.

Shining Force was too easy and,well,too much like FF2(snes) IMO.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 20:26
personally never found a great deal of difference between Mario and Sonice - the aim is the same jump on the bad guys and collect something.
Sonic is on speed and Mario just has a curry lol
really the games are basically the same thou ...
Personally prefered the early sonics to Marios, but Mario grabbed me when he went 3D - then again Sonic vs Shadow was pretty sweet

Sega is now the same as Atari ... pure games developer - however unlike Atari they can only release on Nintendo or Sony Platforms - and the irony is that they only really have a proper deal to release on the new Nintendos

Personally I miss Metal Gear from the SNES
I know there are new ones, but it was my favourite ...
as for Final Fantasy Series, by far IMHO was IX
all of the rest were fun - but the earlier ones remind me alot of pokémon or battle monsters. And althought I liked VII alot, really isn't much compared to IX.

Quite funny when you think of how VII seemed good at the time and IX just pushed the envelope on what the Playstation was capable of graphics wise

Silent Bomber too, that was very graphically amazing with almost no slowdowns... quite outstanding

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 20:55
Donkey Kong Country was pretty cool Megaman is definitly my favorite game, sad most of my cartridges does not work, with exception to SNES ( Megaman X/X2/X3/7 and Rockman and Forte ). I'm glad emulators rock.
I agree with Vegeta that there were not many diferences between Sonic and Mario, I liked both I still play sonic sometimes on Gens
Well my favs:

Snes - Megaman, SuperStreet Fighter, Chrono TRigger, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Illusion of Gaia, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Genesis/MegaDrive - Sonic, The Immortal, Streets of Rage, Lunar ( ROCKED ON SegaCD ), Shinning Force, Mortal Kombat ( the playability on Snes was crappy until MK3 when SNES was better... MK 1 and 2 I prefer on MegaDrive ), Flashback ( Faster on Mega, better graphics on SNES).

I think both consoles were great and I praticaly grew up with them I cannot choose which one's best

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Megaman X
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 21:02
-Flashback ( Faster on Mega, better graphics on SNES).

Also better sound on the Snes.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 21:07
hehee... i kinda liked FlashBack 3D - that was a short lived version.

i never played on the consoles owned it for the Amiga - faster and far superior sound

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 22:31
Wasn't it called fade to black?

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 22:48
I think Sonic games are incomparable to Mario games. Sonic is platform/racing/shoot 'em up/and whatever more and Mario is pure platforming goodness. The only thing the 2 games have in common on the GC is the camera: Crap.

Btw, I see a missing game in the list of great RPGs: Secret of Mana. Best RPG ever made by Square.

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 23:14
ahh... squaresoft. They're starting to make GameCube games now. FINALLY!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2002 23:38
Yep, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles. GC Exclusive (I think)

Whatever I did I didn't do it!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 00:04
yeah, Secret of Mana is awesome. Hmmmm, I've just thought in more a plenty of good games Currently, I'm making a kinda The Immortal (PC/NES/MegaDrive) game, but using BSP Let's see what I can get
Ay, actarus is right, FlashBack 3D was called Fade to Black on PSX... man, how much I've played that one
Anothe cool game was Out of this World ( Euro release as Another World ). They made a version to SegaCD called Heart of Alien, which included the first game and a entirily new episode. Far short, the controls was bad, but I loved the game line and the animations
Sad I'm not on consoles anymore... I've stopped on PSone... Consoles were my ruin. I owned over 150 PSX games... believe me, all my money went to it, so I promised myself not get another console

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Rogue
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 01:17
-Anothe cool game was Out of this World

I think this was a one-man conept.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 06:54
lol yeah i think later versions were renamed Fade to Black, was cool be even harder than Flashback

it is kinda sad that alot of the titles are kinda being ruin'd by poor programming - i mean GC is now C so surely it'd be far easier for them to cope with hehee

Thing that gets me is Mario Sunshine and Lugis Mansion were done by the same team right?
So how come the gameplay is quite different?
very confusing

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2002 11:14
Flashback was a great platformer =) Fade to Black was the sequel made in full 3D also very good but I never got through it.

The names are kinda funny FB and F2B =)

DigAw.com
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 14:37
Re: - however unlike Atari they can only release on Nintendo or Sony Platforms -

Not True, Xbox got Jet Set Radio Future, Crazy Taxi 3, ToeJam & Earl 3, and will be gettin Panzer Dragoon Orta (Unfortunatly a shooter not an RPG like the last one)
Also Sega continue to develop for the PC and obviously for the Arcade, which has always been their tue home

Re: Thing that gets me is Mario Sunshine and Lugis Mansion were done by the same team right? So how come the gameplay is quite different?

So are you saying all the games you make are generic clones of each other? I think its good the titles are so different, I bought and enjoyed both, but neither are perfect. Mario64 (N64), Mario World (SNES/GBA), and even Mario 3 (NES) are far tighter examples of a 'Mario' game.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2002 14:45
-and will be gettin Panzer Dragoon Orta

After passing through the whole game and then the ZWEI,I'd feel abused,I mean,those were good shooters but didn't give enough freedom as for movements,like shenmue.Hopefully,they'll have listended to the real gamers out there.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 00:12
Yeah hopefully PDO will add more freedom of movement. I'd love to see a sequel to Panzer Dragoon Saga, its one of the best un-traditional RPGs I've played. The shooters were graphically beautiful, but v repetitve and limited

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 02:31
Panzer Dragoon Saga IS THE BEST GAME AROUND - correction, it was around :-(
I miss it...

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 07:10
Hey.... I forgot to mention the serie Castlevania. I think it was the best game to Nintendo together with Megaman series, to do not say about Castlevania SOTN on PSX... that one really rocked, best 2D ever I think and the musics are as good as in a motion picture

-- Rogue
Mr_Insane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 07:15
Amasing there.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 11:58
kanga check the actual publisher tags on the platform converts ... no sega on it
they can be ported over by third parties, but not released by Sega themselves

And i wasn't moaning about them Sunshine and Masion being clones, what i was moaning about was the fact that Masion actually had a better camera setup HAHAA

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 14:34
-I think it was the best game to Nintendo together with Megaman series, to do not say about Castlevania

Yeah Castlevania1 was my first buy(if you don't count the fact that I had bought(hard cough)"Kung-Fu Fighter"(/hard cough)),but personally,I was very impressed by Metal Gear...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 14:46
Metal Gear was great, MG2 wasn't...
Castlevania 2 and the SNES version was also great.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 14:52
yep.

made a mistake there that was (bigger cough)Kung-Fu Master.(bigger cough)

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 14:56
I got the original Kung Fu, I didn't buy it I got it when my dad bought the NES.

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 15:03
Raven: Ahh I see what u mean... and yeah the camera in Mario sunshine was piss poor

I too loved Castlevania and Metal Gear, along with Mario (except Mario 2) and Zelda 1. But to be honest at the time I prefered my MasterSystem, due to the usually highly superior versions of 3rd party software - especially by Codemasters - plus u could use the cool Megadrive pads not the square 8bit ones that gave u blisters I believe that many great MS games weren't released in the States tho, so it never took off like it did in the PAL regions

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 15:12
Well, the MD pads my have been better then then NES pads, but the NES pads sure what better then the MS pads and the SNES ones was better then teh MD ones.

[b]Digital Awakening
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 15:13
-I got the original Kung Fu, I didn't buy it I got it when my dad bought the NES

hehehe I had Pro Wrestling with mine.lol

-But to be honest at the time I prefered my MasterSystem

GFX were better but the games weren't.

-plus u could use the cool Megadrive pads not the square 8bit ones that gave u blisters

lol Are you sure?You could even plug in an Atari controller if you wanted.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:21
I also got Pro Wrestling with mine =) My dad bought it from someone so I got 12 older games with it =)

[b]Digital Awakening
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:25
lol

I also bought Wrecking Crew and one of my favorites of all time on the NES Rygar!

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:40
I love Nintendo pads, I think they always have done good jobs with pads ( Nintendo/Snes/N64 ). But there's a pad I wont ever forget... the Original Sega Genesis 6 buttons which came out at the ages of Street Fighter Turbo e Mortal Kombat to Genesis to counter-attack Snes... The pad was far precise, soft and good looking for it's time. I never used any other pad that was that soft even until today. However I prefer the Snes top buttons, which I can make really cool Street Fighter Combinations

-- Rogue
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:56
Zelda was perhaps my favourite game on NES, not sure. Anyone played Kid Icarus? Also a great game.

Hmm 6 buttons, there's one big character in SF2 that rquiers all 6 buttons pressed at the same time for his best special move. It's almost impossible to press that on the SNES 4+2 setup, if there are 6 thumb buttons then you need 2 thumbs on your right hand =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:58
All six buttons at once? I never saw any move like that

-- Rogue
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:27
-All six buttons at once? I never saw any move like that

Zangief's powerdriver(or something0 needed a FULL 360 degrees rotation on the directionnal pad while hitting the 6 buttons all at the same time near the end of the rotation...I used to make some people very angry when doing so...I mean,I could grab the ennemy from a five characters distance muahahh....A guy even got out a knife and tried to satb me after I defeated him.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:28
satb=STAB as in tried to kill me.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:53
Zangiefs Pile Driver is made with 360 degrees and one button only . Even on later Street Fighters ( Like Super Street Fighter Turbo, which has super combos combinations ) needed only two buttons at the same time to a super combo with Zangief

-- Rogue
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:57
That's at the arcade that I'm refering to...did you think the guy who wanted to stab me came out of the TV? lmao

-Zangiefs Pile Driver is made with 360 degrees and one button only

yeah that's probably the "special" button which was in fact 2 or 3 actions at the same time.(Snes)

there were much more tricks than people originally have found...Anyone got to make Sheng Long appear in the FIRST SF2...I remember also the first SF...Man were those hadouken powerful...One or two and guy was dead.lol

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 18:00
Well, I played Street on Arcade really much, and it's absolutly possible to make a pile driver with one button... Sadly u r too far from my place, or I could show u on Mame
Well and there was no sheng long on Street Fighter 2. It was actually a lie from some magazines from USA made on 1st April. I did all possibilities to find Sheng Long, and he really does not exist. If u put some pictures I would believe

-- Rogue
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 18:04
There ARE some pictures...But if you absolutely need them I may try to find some.

It was the same character as Ryu and Ken except he had long hair and fought better.

Did you try passing throught the whole game without ONE hit of damage INCLUDING NO blocking AT ALL.
You had to beat M.Bison that way too.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 18:06
Oh,and no blocking means also not to block in the air...ie:When the enemy throws a firebal or projectile you may not even push the controller back.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 18:06
-Oh,and no blocking means also not to block in the air

Don't confuse with blocking In the air tho.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 18:11
Seems you were right according to this website.

Still I remmeber they had made screenshots of that character no matter what is said there...

Story:
Shen Long is a mythological figure in Street Fighter lore. In SF2, the game that started all this nonsense, Ryu had a winning quote of "You must defeat Shen Long to stand a chance". To tell the truth I still don't know what it means, but there were rumors that Shen Long was a "hidden" character in the game. According to Videogames.com's Shen Long history, " Or "How EGM created a Street Fighter character." What started as an innocent April Fool's Day prank led to a near worldwide joke when EGM published a "code" for Street Fighter 2 that allowed you to face a character called Sheng Long (which, by the way, is the Chinese name for the dragon punch). Sheng Long was reported to be the teacher of Ryu and Ken's Shotokan style, and the "screenshot" EGM ran showed a very Ryu-esque character, except with longer, gray hair and brown apparel. In order to fight against Sheng Long, you were supposed to get to M. Bison without getting hit, then let your fight with M.Bison go nine rounds without either of you getting hit. On the tenth round, Sheng would bust out and replace M. Bison, and then proceed to beat you senseless. The repercussions were enormous, and people around the world began pumping money into SF2 machines, trying to find a hidden boss that didn't exist.

The writers of a Hong Kong comic book based on the Street Fighter series scrambled to include Sheng Long in their book. The code was reprinted in tons of different magazines. The effects of the rumor are still felt today, as some FAQ keepers continue to list Sheng Long as part of the storyline. Also, it's fairly likely that Akuma was derived from this rumor, as his all-powerful appearance begins as he comes from nowhere to pummel M. Bison and replace him in the tournament. There are just too many similarities between the EGM fake and the real Akuma for it to be a coincidence. Most recently, EGM republished the rumor of the character, this time as existing in Three: A New Generation of Street Fighters/Street Fighter III: The Next Generation. Not surprisingly, some people fell for it once again."

So there you have it, he doesn't exist.

OR DOES HE?!?!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:30:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:30:45