Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / VSD Tracker GUI

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 00:57
Here's the GUI from VanSIMPLE Designs Tracker software ( due to be released by the weekend )

I Worked on this one for quite a while ( 28hours in all )... there are a few pop-up windows which you can't see in this screenshot.

The Tracker will offer a few things we've never had - reatime playback info (great for demos), and atmospheric music (you can smoothly change the music to suit the gameplay, this is handled by simply changing the song number, the playback code handles it smoothly for you). It's 32 channels, each with a seperate sample, so it works slightly differently than traditional soundtrackers, but the sound quality is immensely good. The samples are loaded seperately, so they can be re-used, which saves a lot of disk space, but you can fit 64 songs onto a module file. Also, during playback with an 8 track song, Van-B is getting 575 fps on his spec machine,

Spec:
Athlon 1.1ghz, 128mb ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, Flat Panel Monitor, 20gb HDD, Win 98, DX8, 56k Modem, SB128.

including tracker gui code, 32 channel vu meter, and note displays.

VSD Tracker should be good to go this week.

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 01:56
Here's the Logo I Designed for VanSIMPLE Designs.

NOT 100% sure if we should keep this one though ( rushed it a bit )

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 03:01
lol i kinda find you name very ironic whenever you show artwork, especially of UI's ...
certainly look colourful thou (^_^)
any actual details on what this is, looks like a mixer like eJay - could be wrong thou hehee

I'd suggest a redesign for the logo - not that is a rush job but it looks a little erm ... well too much if you get what i mean. too much going on, try to simplify it a bit.
And i remember you commenting in rgt that the minitor was for a client - so it'd be dubious for you to use it within anything other than a portfolio.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 03:45
quote: *any actual details on what this is, looks like a mixer like eJay - could be wrong thou hehee*

Erh, try reading my post !!

And well, Not that you really have the Knowledge or expertise to comment on anything remotely 2D.

There's supposed to be a lot happening in the logo .... Like you said "irony"

And as for the Minotaur >> The model was for a client ... but I have permission to use screenshots of it... just as I also had permission to use it for one of my texturing tut's.

The copyright for the model itself, remains with my client.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 05:01
yeah the post isn't particularly good on how it is to be used ... i mean is it to be a drag'n'drop affair?
do you have to click and tell it length...

what does it export to - wav? mp3?
is there any EQ onboard?
lol i'm not a music man and it does look alot like an eJay setup but the actual features might make it so its a different setup ... so rather than mixing proper music tracks its simple routes sounds in an order.
Can you change pitch?

(^_^) me wanna know cause i like playing with things like this!

telling me it has Nth track and possible tunes and sounds doesn't really explain alot about it.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 05:26
looks amazing, I bet its even more fantastic when the l.e.d.s go up and down in a mezmorising way.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 12:25
Well, vegeta

This is just version 1.0 of something Van and I needed to make our in-game music... due to the fact that you need to pay for a licence to use mp3's ( if you intend on selling over 5000 copies of something which uses mp3's, they want something like $3000 )

BUT if you sell a game with mp3's in it and sell LESS than 5000, then the livence if FREE ( but who knows how many copies will sell ?? if any at all )

The Tracker itself is based alot on the TCB Tracker from the old ATARI days. And as for the complete spec >> that will be available by the weekend.

I'm sure once we get some positive feedback after release.... we will address implimenting other options.

But for now... it's just an app we needed to make, to avoid the mp3 licencing laws.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 14:07
Come on Vegeta, your an old Amiga fan, you must have used Med or Noizetracker, or Soundtracker?.

Anyhoo, it's more like a sequencer than programs like eJay. You use sampled instruments to compose the songs using an 8 octave keyboard. You can click the little keyboard shown, or use the qwerty keys as a piano. I've used trackers for years, I'm no damn good with music, but I like to play - and there's some neat touches that should really be part of any tracker. For example, if you had an eJay style loop that you wanted to base a remix on, you can automatically set the bpm of the track to match it perfectly. Also, to speed up composing, you can quickly repeat the first 16 slots of the pattern over and over, so there's no need to memorise bits of song and enter them over and over.

The main benefit of using VSD songs is that you can have atmospheric music. Say you have a song, and there's a middle piece that is sorta central to the whole thing. Well you could make different middle pieces for different moods. You walk into a room with an enemy, and it switches to the song with the orchestra stabs. Or your character walks into a nightclub and it switches to a techno version of your tune. This will all be handled for you, you just need to compose the music, then change a variable depending on which song you want to switch to.

Realtime playback info is available too, so demo coders will be able to use VU bars and stuff.

Van-B
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:06
ahhh sequencer (^_^) oki
see what was throwing me off was the fact that you've got the wav files above ... but below you have notes - so i dunno seemed like eJay style.

well certainly can't wait to play with it, does look like fun
used SoundTracker and SynthMaster on the Amiga (^_^)
never made anything you'd call audioable but was fun hehee

what i wouldn't mind trying sometime is the Platinum Editio extensions for Audiology sometime, because the wave table allows you to edit some quite realistic instraments like a midi player ... so guitars (especially electric) and brass instraments sound good.

well hope to try the demo soon anyways

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 17:26
Full thing will be released at the weekend (latest) - I hope to finish it tommorow night.

Van-B

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:40:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:40:31