Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Chameleon (^_^)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 11:37
well whilst i'm waiting for a few things i had a few spare hours, got in some sketching practise - which quickly turned into a little art project.
hope ya'll like it ... and before anyone ask.
yes i'm damn'd proud of this work as its taken me 2hr30min to complete from start to finish i'm absolutly knackered.

i'm probably mad cause i am posting it here - and with the current not particular fondness amongst some towards me will no doubt make for interesting replies. (^_^)
But i think its probably the best i could have hoped to achieve without some sorta techniques

-- the sketch ----

-- the final ----
Anata aru kowagaru no watashi! http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/darkbasic/rvtoken2.jpg[/img]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 13:46
went for a bath before bed, get out to find everyone sprawled all over my room hahaa...
so i've edited this lil guy up a lil more.

seriously thou now i should go - be lucky if i get 3hrs of sleep at this rate!

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:51
Well, just confirms what you’ve been telling us all along ( 2D is NOT your strong point )

Quote:
yes i'm damn'd proud of this work as its taken me 2hr30min to complete from start to finish i'm absolutly knackered.

The amount of time it takes to produce art work is no real reason to be proud of it. Most people get proud of their results, NOT how long it took.

Now don’t take this as a flame attempt …… This is my critic of your art work ( and before you cry… How can I critic… I have been producing art work for longer than you have been alive )

Your initial sketch is not that bad…. It’s what you done after that needs attention.

As it stands, the finished results look like a cut cardboard out place in front of a tree photo.

Your biggest floor is leaving an outline around your lizard ( that’s what makes it look like a cut out ) This is good for cartoon characters etc, but not good for what you are trying to achieve.

First, you need to loose the outlines. The best way to achieve this is when you select a portion of the lizard to be air brushed….. make sure you have antialias turned on, then colour + shade your work, but with NO outlines. You need to “blend” your air brushing work and avoid just colouring it in.

The trick to making decent looking 2D is the attempt to make it look 3D. That’s why people have been adding shading and shadows to 2D art work for 100’s of years … in an attempt to put substance and depth in there work ( there was no 3D + rendering at the time )

Once you learn this fundamental principle …. Your 2D art work won’t look so flat.

Your next mistake was using a photo of a tree….. now you just made the whole scene look like something from Roger Rabbit.

You should have used the tree as a reference…. And air brushed over the top of it with you own design of bark. Or even flood filled a complete bark texture over it ( as long as it wasn’t a photo texture ) then just added the highlights and shading.

But anyways…… as you always admit that 2D is not your strong point, this isn’t a bad effort.

Whether you listen to anything I just said, don’t really matter …….. this is my honest critic ( from my 28yrs experience ) of your 2D art work.

Simple

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 16:57
Whats wrong with this forum ??

Whenever you type something, and then post it ..... it always seems to jumble your words around.

Pfffff !!

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 TV out - 30gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom - CDRW - Firewire - ATI TV card - All linked to another PC with higher spec
Rose
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 19:08
Well, I like it! I am totally hopeless at Art, I can't even draw a simple stickman, I think Raven is very brave for posting his work. Can we see some of your work now simple?

Thanx
PS. I may be hopeless at Art, but I know a good drawing/picture when I see one!

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 19:21
Quote:
* Can we see some of your work now simple?*

Yeah, sure !! ...... first, I have some of my work in the thread below this one ( VSD Tracker GUI )

Then.. I have some more here >>

http://www.realgametools.net/forums/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=6132

And by all means.... visit my website

Zenders
Years of Service
User Offline
personally, I have to say i like it

But then again, i'm no pro (Unlike Simple)

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 20:10
I'm not a pro either...But I can recognize something I hate...And I don't hate that picture.

Nice!

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 21:09
The thing is >> I never said I hated it.

Just pointed a few things out which could improve his technique. And like I said... "Now don’t take this as a flame attempt …… "

He either listens of not ... I don't really care.

Those are just my views + possible fixes of this piece of art.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 21:49
The thing is >> I never said you said I said...err whatever.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 22:43
actarus >> I do believe you tongue has got stuck somewhere.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 22:49
lmao that was on purpose...

I hope you know what I meant though.

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 22:54
I also think you miss-understood my remark

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 22:59
-I also think you miss-understood my remark

oh...right,I'm supposed to get angry...sorry.grrrr...

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 23:15
*oh...right,I'm supposed to get angry...sorry.grrrr...

I dunno, are you ?

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2002 23:24
nope.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 02:02
lol this is a weird semi-arguement. Sure Raven's picture is not pro level but its still pretty good. I agree about the outlines though.

Re: 'Your biggest floor' surely the floor is not visible in this picture? j/k Simple I make plenty of typos every day. I went to your site, and your rgt link, your tutorials are good, but I didn't see any staggering 2d... I'm not saying you're not capable of it I'd just like to see some examples Don't get mad, I'd just like to see how to 'pros' do it

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 02:44
LOL

Well Kangaroo2 .... first, one of the "flaws" with this forum is the fact that there's no edit button.

As for staggering 2d .... most of my work is created on paper .. Some of my digital work I can't show you.

But if you like... I will create something especially for you

I'll even show you the stages step-by-step.

I have a few things I'm working on right now... but in a couple of weeks keep your eye on my mini tut's thread on the RGT forum.

But what one person may think is staggering... another may not.

Anyways.... I'll send you the .bmp image as a present when I finish.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 14:56
lol Thanx man that'd b cool You could scan some nice paper work, I'm always interested in seeing people's art.

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2002 15:47
hehee you guys crack me up ... or maybe thats cause i'm not entirely sober yet

well sorry simple about noteing how long it took me and that i should be proud of it for what it is... i mean don't get me wrong i am. I'm just in the habit of noting how long things take me because usually i'm on a schedual, i'm surprised alot more people here don't.

not doing this pro so really everything like this i make is mainly just for my own enjoyment
but i'm getting better and better each time i do develop something like this using more and more tool - perhaps now i have a bit more time to focus on this kind of artwork i can sit down and really learn photoshop and paintshop properly rather than something like this that i'll do every month or so when i have the spare time

using the real backdrop of a tree was more placed within the background before i make the alphamap properly (which i did skip on a little which is why you can see some outlines still) ... it was so that i could grab ahold of the light position of what i wanted in the final effect, which can be seen probably most clearly on the branch.
I might get back some more work on this, emphasis the skin dimples more based on the light ... soften the shade so it'll blend better with the background and sharpen the overall image so it just gets a more real appearance.

Problem mainly is i'm unsure on howto achieve them properly, but i'll work on it playing some more

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:24:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:24:02