Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Advice for a new game maker?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm the mom of a 12 1/2 year old boy who wants to make his own games. He's had some exposure to programming, and I can help him learn more, but I'd like to give him a good start and not have him be frustrated.

Would you suggest starting him out in 3D Gamemaker? DarkBasic? DarkBasic Pro?

Thanks!
Mom
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2002 22:02
Hey Mom Well, if he has experience in programming, I would stick with the programming part (Dark basic or Pro) The 3d game maker is really just a click and play game. There is no programming involved at all.

I started when I was 13 (Im 14 now) and I found Dark Basic really easy to learn. It comes with tutorials, a list of all the commands (with an example and definition) and a big users manual. I have the 3d Game Maker. I tried it once, and found it was too easy.

The 3d Game Maker (T3DGM) can really only be used to make a First Person Shooter game (like a James Bond game) and is not really that flexable. I am sure a lot of us here will have the same opinion.

With Dark Basic, you can start small, and work your way up to a great game (just look at that gallery!!) And since it is based on the BASIC language, it's pretty easy to learn and use. Plus, there are these great forums to help you out if you get stuck!!

Tell your son I wish him the best of luck in programming!

I hope this helps you,
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 00:54
PS- If either of you has any of the instant messengers, you can contact me on them if you need any help, or have any questions They are all below my signature.

RPGamer

GamemakersMom
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you! Your insight really helped.

This will be a Christmas for him -- I printed off your info and will include it in the present. I'm sure he'll have questions!

Necrym
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 02:04
to GamemakersMom
Yeah i think whats been said is true get him bark basic to begin with there is heaps of example code and stuff around for him to pickup real fast and plenty of free map editors etc. When hes learned enough hell be ready to go for dbpro.
The manuals are also good for db to help him get something out of it fast and not lose interest a very easy learning curve. My 2 boys love it its a good xmas gift beleive me.

Watch the bouncing cursor - now in 3d
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2002 02:08
Anytime!

Merry Christmas!

RPGamer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:06:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:06:51