Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Classic Games in DB

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
HEY I'm looking to throw together a site with links to remakes of old classic arcade games in DB.
I made a Berzerk a while back that looks a lot like the original.
I saw somebody a long time ago made Defender and it was totally like the original too. I also saw Space Invaders and some others. I'm not looking for remakes so much as exact or close to exact replicas with similar or the same exact graphics. I think it's a great excercize for programmers to try to tackle the old school games.
If you got em please list them here.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 22:12
Great Idea!

I'm working on a few, which I have used sprites captured from MAME and might release them as open-source study programs. Games I am working on - Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Galaga, Donkey Kong, Bubble Bobble (All easy), Mortal Kombat 1, Street Fighter 2 (Much bigger tasks).

I'm flooded with actual paying work at the mo, but will post either here or a new thread when they are done

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2002 22:17
There's an Atari contest by Heartbone on RGT

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 01:03
cool, I'll check it out

Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 03:41
Sounds like the fever spread by MAME has caught on big!
I wish you guys luck with the creation of your classic retro games.

I have MAME and it seems to be getting better except for the fact that many of the ROM images are taken off the sites now because of excessive bandwidth usage and fear of sale\distibution against the wishes of the holders of the licenses.
Remember, after the 24 hour 'evaluation period' you're suppoed to delete the ROM unless you own it or are legally entitled to...

Yeah right, what are they gonna' do, arrest all of us???

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 06:29
Lol I however actually own genuine Out Run, Puzzle Bobble, SF2, Spinmasters, Galaga and Metal Slug 2 Machines, and keep them in a warehouse with snooker, pool, football and pinball tables B funny if they ever tried to catch me for downloading Roms

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 07:32
I'm thinking, as many here develop quite hyper complex titles that oftenly they'll hit a rock and as they're not really programmers but people just messing about will never finish... :: takes breath ::

What I'd like to do, is setup a small team, say 3-4people just to work on some small classic titles within DarkBasic, but ya know with something a little novel about them

Would be part of FMTau (sneaky part here) and of course we'd like to publish and distribute them
But i was thinking perhaps have a compilation of like say 5 titles on a CD some classics revamped for enjoyment and obviously the graphical side to get the new kids wanting to play

I dunno titles like, Asteriods, Xenon, Hurrica, etc...
just fun quick titles.
Would be an idea for a few people who'd like to get into some actual games development which is likely to be finished, in something that would yeild worthwhile results - as in people actually playing the games

Actually would be good to have 2 maybe 3 small teams who are willing to work on some pretty basic titles - i mean not super Epic things like Neocron or something, but pretty simple fun games.
Hehee and gaining the side of FMTau wouldn't hurt much either eh

if anyone is interested at all in something like that then ya know i'll make some proper thread about it in my forums in a lil while.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 09:30
Lol I however actually own genuine Out Run, Puzzle Bobble, SF2, Spinmasters, Galaga and Metal Slug 2 Machines, and keep them in a warehouse with snooker, pool, football and pinball tables Kangaroo 2

Man are YOU one lucky fellow! How did you swing that???

Metal Slug and Metal Slug X, top of the list games! I have both roms for the MAME code, as well as a dozen or more others.
I have the great Nesticle 95' NES emulator too, very nice job, and every summer night I'd open the window, let the breeze lull over me, play a game or two and just let the old fashioned NES style music lull me back to my childhood, and I thought back to all those years ago, when things were so much simpler. Man were they ever......

Getting romantic over a game system,
I think I need to get out more.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 13:33
Thanx, I live on the UK west coast right next to some big Arcade/Slot towns like Minehead, Weston and Burnham so I just kinda collect them and refurbish them when I see local arcades chucking em out. Just finished doing up an Operation Wolf cabinet with the original metal Machine gun

My favourite is my Outrun Cabinet, its one of the ride in ones with a steering wheel! Got loads of chips and cabinets I haven't even tried to get working yet, including what looks like an original Ms PacMan (!) but it might be beyond repair I also have A stand-up Virtua Racing cabinet and a badly damaged Propcycle I'm looking into repairing.

I would LOVE a Mortal Kombat in the original Goro case, but they sell for about 2 Grand round here, so maybe when I have money to burn Or I guess my MOST wanted item would be a Daytona link up machine, but they are very highly prized here, and still make their owners a loada cash, reportedly more than the sequel and Sega Rally 1&2 and Scud Race all combined!

Got loads of SNK/NeoGeo games too, including Neo Mr Do, Puzzle Bobble 2, Metal Slug 1&2, Samurai Showdown, Neo Turf Masters... the list goes on, but I only have two Neo Cabinets, currently housing PB1 and MS2

Also got a Mega-tech cabinet playing a weird rearranged Genesis Sonic 1, a seemingly normal Golden Axe II and a crappy soccer game I haven't played much. Gonna open it up soon and see if it takes actual Megadrive/Genesis carts, or even a Power base converter and MS Games - now THAT would be damned cool, as I collect them - (Got over 160 different MS cartridges)

I am lucky in the sense that my property comes with loads land including some large wearhouse/solidbarn buildings, which I use for storage. On is a big arcade/Games room, and I have a 100" 'cinema' set up in a smaller one, for watching movies and playing console games

BTW does any1 else like Galaga? If u haven't played it download it, its soooo hard but v v high quality for the time

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2002 13:35
Oh sorry Incase any1 thinks I'm rolling in it, I'm not I got the 100" projector and screen from a local Holiday camp who auctioned it when they got a replacement, it only cost £600 Plus a lot of the machines I reburbish I sell on to make money to get more, allthough I get a lot for free

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
I can never find a Metal Slug 2 rom set that works! you got one?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 07:27
i bet i could find one... O_O

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
Jeez, that much for the original mortal combat with goro on the face. I saw like a stack of them at the near by video game store over here in ohio sellins for 5$'s each. I thought that was a rip. LOL

Your suffering cause of me its divine
-Korn-
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2002 21:00
i know... =\ mortal combat wasnt a great game...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
I loved that game! MK2 was great too, but it kinda went downhill from there in my opinion.

Golgo13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 01:26
Oh man, Kang, you have a lot of stuff!
You're lucky. And yes I have played Galaga, here in the States it was sort of thought of as Space Invaders with wings,LOL

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 02:30
i prefer pheonix... =P

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:13:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:13:03