Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Charactor Animation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2002 20:54
I have a Max4 char with bone animation exported to 3ds format. I can get the charactor loaded in the scene (room demo) but I can't get animation, the walk cycle to operate. Is this possible or how or what do I need to do to include the walk animation. Thanks
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2002 23:23
Is there any mesh deformation in your animation? (change of position of vertacies relative to the object) this is most likely your problem. ill give you more info after you respond

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Vertex
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi!
please don't use the *.3ds format.
look for x or better md2.

sincerly

Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2002 05:25
Well, I assume it has (I know assume), as it uses the bones to deform a solid charactor. I'm really not sure a friend created it for me he has max at work location. I did convert the model/charactor to an md2 format, but when I tryed loading/running it, I recieved an error, XXX program caused an error.. He advised (in 3ds) that it has almost all necessary bones in place but only the lower half has envelops if that makes sense.

I retired so I could work for 18 hours a day rather than $18 an hour on the days I worked.
Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2002 07:47
Thanks for the responses, Actually when I went back and tryed the md3 model again the error received was "testmd3 has caused an error in DBPROMD3OBJECTDEBUG.DLL testmd3 will now close." testmd3.dbapro is my program name. Before I proceed to work on any other projects I want to be able to get one of my own models animation operating. I get the same error when using my md2 model. I've tryed converting to .x but I can never get an animation in .x format.. I've even tryed to re-save my imported .3ds to a differant .3ds file and again I can not get an animation output only a single frame/charactor.

I retired so I could work for 18 hours a day rather than $18 an hour on the days I worked.
MistaED
Years of Service
User Offline
FroggermonSSE, are you saying mesh deformation isn't supported in DB Pro? I know the original DB can't do it but not the pro. I think I might keep my money then. Also, can the new pro even support bone manipulation within the engine? It would be nice to make a run anim while the hands/face do another anim with joining bones together at runtime.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2002 20:48
no, DBP does support mesh deformation. md2 and md3 formats are required. the .x format itself does not support mesh deformation.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 04:39
.X format does support mesh deform, as I have done it myself. It has to be exported correctly. I also don't get any amination data out of a 3DS file. (Seems broken) I'm just going to use all .X models. Everything dealing with HalfLife seems to require licensing, so I'm not going to waste my time learning a system that down the road, I prolly won't be able to use anyways.

-Kensupen

Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 08:05
Ok thanks, I guess my question now is, what are you using to convert to, or build in, for the .x format and or to build your models in .md2 or md3 format. I tryed milkshape but I get a system chrash for the md2 & 3, when loading in DBP, the .x exports in milkshape are broken no deformation. I've purchased so many programs that I have quit spending as most won't or don't seem to work and a lot of the trials have the save and export blocked. thanks again for the help.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 10:13
Microsoft provide not only the Max3/4/5 Maya2/3/4 plugins however also provide the source code to DirectX 8.1 format.
Now as DBpro requires 8.1 it'd make sense that they upgraded the DirectX format available. And exporting from Max DirectX supports
- Mesh Deformation
- Multi-Textureing
- Extended UV Maps
- Dynamic LOD (based upon first and final LOD frames)
- DDS Mipmap Alpha Textures (DXT5)
- Pixel Textures (only Maya 3+)

Now it is likely you'll have to ask which of these features have been actually added at this time, however the plugin should be suitable for your needs - and there is nothing quite like compatibility than from the creators of a format!

there are still teething problems with the MDx formats, so i'd be ware of using them and test them fully for your needs.

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 16:57
I have got the plugin, but max crashes everytime I try to export a mesh with a physique modifier DX SDK .x exporter .txt says that it exports these, but it dosn't on my machine

Max 4.26 Char Studio 3.21a DXSDK 8.1
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2002 22:09
unusual... i use Max 4.0, Character Studio 3.3 and DxSDK 8.1
they export fine, however if I remember right - you have to make sure you Quad-Menu >> Edit Mesh to make sure that it is a finalised mesh. Should then export fine...
If not there are always more format plugins at http://www.maxplugins.com

Oh a quick note to anyone exporting MD3 from Max, you cannot weld texture groups... might seem a little insane, but MD3 can't have multiple UV Maps - so each vertex can only have a single UV point. This is due to optimisation
If you don't have a UV Map OR you have a welded one, then it won't export the object group (limb) ... also another weird side effect is it won't export ANY animation if you don't skin your model - haven't a clue why but worth a mention.

"For the Greater Good"...
Kyi'Aun (Jedi Master) Rai'Ka
Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
@Vertex,
Warum , .3ds is sogar bekannter als .X
Und immerhin , ist DB nicht FULL compartibel mit .3ds?

DaRk - aNgEl

And justice for all.
Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2002 23:54
Thanks everyone for the info, I'll see what I can come up with.

*Athlon 1.33, 254meg mem, GForce 4 64meg.
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2002 07:04
If you want to see a quick tutorial for how to do bone based mesh deform animaton in MilkShape, follow this link.

HTTP://dakoren.home.attbi.com

It's a quick tutorial I made and have tested in DBV1 and DBPro. DBV1 only supports the animation, not the mesh deform, but animates all the same.

-Kensupen

Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2002 22:30
Kensupen, Thanks for the tut however even when I export as indicated for the mesh deform there is no animation (the cyl does not move) even tho it indicates there are frames there. If I use the binary it doesn't even indicate any available frames. In Retained mode it does animate as indicated but the mesh is broken. This is in version 1.6.4 at least thats how it operates on my os. Still trying Thanks again.

* AMD Athlon 1.33, 256meg SDRAM, GForce4 MX 440 64mb, Win ME *
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 01:06
Well it appears alot of peeps have gone in circles here...
3DS format Mesh Deformation is bugged in the format,
it is actually why ALOT of exports don't support it and importers won't read it.

DBpro works fine with mesh deformation, as I tested earlier with my DB Goblin remake (i'll upload him later as i thin everyone will like the lil guy )

If you're using Milkshape then exporting using the JTExporter will work well, but it is sensitive as if you use skin & bones - it won't allow heirachy and if you use heirachy it doesn't allow mesh deform (a bit like the MD3 format!)

Personally I'd export as MD2 as it is the only format that will load and you can be perfectly sure about...

I'll see about getting up how to export things properly later, as it seems to be a very unsure point for alot of people - have to finish a tutorial for Sin first thou

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 01:56
Thanks Raven: Well I seem to be a problem magnet, as when I use the MD2 I get a Kernnel32.dll error and the program shuts down, again I may not be using a compatible format. I animates ok in a viewer with mesh deform and all but I get a glitch applying it in code. I'll try some differant code as I am using the room demo supplied with DBPro. I appreciate the help you guys are giving, as it is getting very frustrating. I've been programming since the mid 80's and had to learn various language structures but these problems are getting old (very little graphics programming).

Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 04:16
Nope, Even with differant DBPro code, loading nothing but a camera and md2 model I get the Kernnel32.dll error. Well as soon as it comes into view of the camera that is. Its basically 3d space the model loads behind the camera and when the camera moves to where the md2 can be viewed crash.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 07:23
sounds interesting that bug... could be the export format or the import format - i created an MD2 importer for db recently as a test bed for something i have someone working on, i may release as it should work without a hitch in DBpro.
Funny really all i've really tested out within DBpro so far is the formats it loads and why they do and don't load, and howto do things properly - hehee

Oki well i may take a couple of days away from the forums and come back with all the answers (or a 5oclock shadow and no answers )

late

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 07:32
Carver,

That is really odd. I loaded the model I made off that tutorial in DBPro and it animates just fine. I wish I had more help to offer, but I can't debug the problem w/o your PC. (Or one with a similar problem) You can try playing around with the export settings and see if that helps. I don't use GeForce cards, cause they are slow for their price. I use an ATI Radeon. Another problem could be Win ME. I couldn't even get it to work on any of my systems. I now use the CD as a coaster.

-Kensupen

Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 02:16
Thanks, Raven, Kensupen, I'll keep trying, I'm not really impressed with Win ME either but all the bugs or problems getting XP going, spooked me away from it, as half of my programs were not supported. I have a copy of the home version but I never loaded it. Win 98 is so slow after running ME that I don't use it either. Again Thanks for the assistance.

Carver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 20:00
I guess I should have said, I have the upgrade for Win XP Home Edition, its not a copy, its the genuine thing.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 23:02
Service Pack 1 fixes some good bugs within XP... but the speed to be honest isn't too impressive over Me, atleast not DB wise is you have Dx8.1b so don't worry about it.
I know everyone tells me that WinMe is just too buggy but personally i think it is the least buggy Windows aside from Win2k - never had as many crashs or problems with it and one of the easiest to fix if things go horribly wrong

I'd install XP Home Edition, but install it as an NTFS partition as a second OS - this gives you full compatibility.

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 21:37:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 21:37:14