Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / BSP support

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello folks,

I've downloaded the DB Pro demo - I'm very impressed by the BSP support. I've managed to struggle to get a map loaded and visible. I am using Valve's Hammer editor to create (very basic!) BSP maps.

However, I want to take things a little further. I've been looking for more advanced demos or tutorials on the web about BSP in DB Pro, but I can find very little.

Ideally I need information on :

1. How to manipulate camera movement as a 1st-person (ie. mouselook and sidestep movement), as for a standard modern 3d-shooter. Code or source demos would be ideal.

2. Is Hammer the best map editor? It seems to crash a lot!

3. Are all formats of BSP (such as from quake, half-life, etc.) compatible with DB Pro?

4. How can BSP files and the entities within them be manipulated within DB Pro?

5. Does the full retail version of DB Pro have manuals that explain any of the above?

ANY help on this whatsoever would be excellent,

Happy holidays,
Chris
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2002 23:25
1) gimme a few mins i'll make up a DBpro version of my classic FPS Camera
2) no stick to worldcraft as Valve havn't a clue about making thier own editor
3) DBpro from what i know supports Quake 1-3 formats plus Half-Life formats ... however not the Quake3 Mod formats, like JK2 or ST:EF or RTCW, they're essentially the same and do work but arn't 100%.
4) if you want to use entities you have to write your own dbpro reader within pro and pull them out yourself, some DB based formats will resolve this soon. As well as a possible plugin DLL
5) I've not looked at the manual but from what i've been told ya there is a tutorial to make a basic FPS

(^_^)

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2002 01:44

for some reason the vector no matter what i renamed it, dbpro was having non of it - but you can always replace that all with either a real vector variable or with different letters or something, i'm too tired to really figure it out

but the principals are sound, most of this is the DB normal tutorial code if my memory serves me - just tweaked to personal preferance

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 00:37
For all the people that say to use Hammer/Worldcraft to make BSPs for DBPro, I'd just like to add that it's illegal. Those apps are to only be used to make MAPs/BSPs for Half-Life games. The Radient series is the same for Quake. The free options are Qoole and Quark.

-Kensupen
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2002 04:34
no it isn't
Worldcraft 2.5 is capable of Half-Life maps and wasn't purchased or Licenced to Value Software and is as Devoid from such penalties as Qoole, Quark, Ued and other 3rd party tools.

just like GTKRadient ... and its the format itself which is under question not the actual world modelers.
feel free to trawl through the Licences, but thats the facts... and if the user is not charging for the use of the end user software (you can for beta and incomplete versions) then the technology which unlines it all which is the sole property rights of id software, then really there is no what if.

That aside the licence fee for these format is $50,000/200,000 copies for mainstream commericial use and $25,000 for Budget use.
Which as the profits made from titles from a publishers pov is greater than this then you're likely not to have to worry as they'll foot the bill after they purchase exclusive rights

I don't know why there is all the fuss about the licences and right from most people here cause i'll wager a large sum that very few if any will ever complete a retail title for some time, and if they're really that worried about it the data formats within darkbasic pro actually allow for the development (especially with the TPF SDK) to impliment your own formats.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 11:40:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 11:40:34