Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / How do I create objects ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
That's the problem : how I create great objcets wiht milkshape, if I only can make espheres, cylinders and boxes ? Is there another program more usefull that saves with the .X extension and be more powerfull than Milkshape ?
Please, help me !
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 03:54
http://xu1productions.com/3dstudio/tutorials.html

"Never argue with an Idiot, they will always bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
-- Megaman X
ChronicFear
Years of Service
User Offline
I suggest making it in 3ds Max, then, loading it into Deep Exploration and saving it as .x, works for me

Your suffering cause of me its divine
-Korn-
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 06:06
-I suggest making it in 3ds Max, then, loading it into Deep Exploration and saving it as .x, works for me

Translation:I suggest buying a 3000$ modeler,then,loading it in a 250$ MODEL VIEWER,and saving the rest for the rent...lmao Sorry I had to.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
WinHack
Years of Service
User Offline
[WARNING: I am brand-spanking new to DB (just purchased 1.1.2 from CompUSA for myself for Xmas). Been a programmer for many years, but never worked with 3D/game tools before. This is just a light hobby thing for me, but I would like to take it as serious as possible without getting silly with buying multi-thousand dollar game development tools.]

So am I reading that there is no good, simple, and/or easy way from within DB to create slightly-beyond-simple objects beyond cube/sphere/triangle?

For example, I want to create an "L" shaped room that I can later add floor, wall, and ceiling textures to, as well as a couple of doors. I can envision the room as a series of connected 10-unit "cubes" with a single common outer wall and all inner walls do not exist. I could also envision the same room as a single object with the appropriate geometric definition (define the corners). Either way, I want to create an "L" shaped room with one door on one wall, and another door on another.

The question is: do I really need some expensive tool to create this object or is there some way to "generate" it from within DB code? The MAKE OBJECT command seems to be my answer, but it requires something called a "MESH" which I have to presume from the spartan description contained in the manual that the mesh acts like an object template. However, I see no commands in DB to create a MESH.

I was going to try to be clever and take an existing object like dome.x from the "room" sample project and use that, but it is obviously the wrong shape and has that funny funnel for a ceiling. The objects in the media directory are of fully-formed objects (like a castle or a factory) whereas I just wanted to create a simple level of four rooms connected by halls, just as a proof of concept for myself.

So back to the original question: Is there an inexpensive (sub $300) way to (create new|modify existing) (rooms|objects|.X files) for use in DB? Is this something DB Pro or one of the other programs available from the DB site does?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kensupen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2002 10:13
My suggestion for inexpensive is Milkshape 3D for Models ($20-$25) and Cartography Shop is nice for making really simple levels that export in .X format ($40 and there is a new tool that I think comes with it for BSPs later using an editor like Worldcraft)

I personally use both and they can make "professional looking" models/levels if you put enough time into learing the applications.

My opinion is that anyone using Max is either rich or has a pirated copy. Also, it's like driving a Rolls Royce to the grocery store. It will get the job done, but it's overkill.

-Kensupen
nilobasic
Years of Service
User Offline
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELPING.
I'LL DO MY BEST.
NILO.

WinHack
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the feedback, Ken.

WinHack
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so I downloaded Milkshape and searched the web high and low for tutorials. There are plenty of tutorials for how to create weapons, characters/players, and objects to be interacted with (like inventory/use items), but I have yet to see any kind of tutorial on how to use it to build room objects that can be used in DB (see my first/lengthy post above).

I was able to use the DX Mesh tool to view the dome.x file that came as part of the demo "room" project so I know that Milkshape is installed and functioning correctly, but was unable to do anything useful with MilkShape that would allow me to generate my "L-shaped room". Maybe the Cartography package is really more of what I am looking for? Any input on this?

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 17:24
http://xu1productions.com/3dstudio/tutorials.html

there's a tut about greating room with Milkshape there...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
-- Rogue
WinHack
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx. That web site seems to have issues...particularly on the page I am trying to load (the one you pointed me to about designing interiors) but at least I have a place to look. Thanx again.

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2002 19:09

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
-- Rogue
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2002 03:13
Its very easy to make objects in milkshape. Just place vertices and connect them with the face tool

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
yosepp
Years of Service
User Offline
i use milkshape too, but i don't like vertices-faces tehnique. i make some object's and then stretch vertices and faces. probably not the best, because you are the great mighty people, who know everything so i'd better not argue with you.

fire, fire, fire
-"Cornholio" alias Beavis
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 01:32
3rd time I've said this 2day but BUY MILKSHAPE

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 01:37
All 3d modellers make primitves, then you edit the points, strestch parts etc and make shapes With Milkshape you can also make stuff with vertices. Once you follow a few tutorials you'll get it. I agree with Kensupen that Milkshape and Cartography shop is pretty much all you need, if you have a nice image editor (PaintShopPro is nice and cheap - for a real bargain buy v3 or preferably v5 cheap, I didn't like 4, don't ask me why)

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Viroscope
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 10:43
I'd say go with lightwave if your willing for the price GREAT program. And WinHack db should be very easy to understand after a little while if you have experiance with q-basic or even gw-basic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:11:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:11:42