Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Creating DLLs or TPCs for DarkBASIC Classic

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 03:18
A recent query has passed my way regarding my Cartography Shop map importer for DarkBASIC Professional. Now, creating TPCs for DBP is all well and good, but the gentleman has requested a possible conversion of the plugin to work with DarkBASIC Classic.

I'm not worried or bothered about whether the plugin generates geometry etc as this is un-important, but is it possible to write a general set of addon functions for Classic? Really what I'm asking is does DBC support TPC creation of any klnd?

I only have the Classic demo version downloaded from here, so can this be used to test such DLLs if supported. If so, are there any major differences in the way TPCs are created for Classic than to DarkBASIC Professional?

Appreciate the feedback, any technical information is much appreciated. Again, I'm not bothered about the lack of support that you gain using IanM's interface library with Professional, I just want to know if TPCs can be used with Classic, and if so, how

Thanks again.

Paul.

Home of the Cartography Shop - DarkBASIC Professional map importer
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 03:37
You only have access to the LOAD DLL/CALL DLL system - no access to internals at all.

Despite that though, you can probably put something together like NG did - an external DLL, and a set of DBC functions to include that provide the interface between the users code and the DLL.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 04:13
Excellent, that'll do nicely Ian, thanks

My only grumble with DBC is that it doesn't appear to support userdefined types. If it did, this wouldn't really be an issue as I could just use my old native code. But the plugin idea would be better anywayz as it's faster.

Paul.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 05:18
it does (v1..13) using DarkEdit

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 07:55 Edited at: 9th Sep 2004 07:59
Really?? Before I hunt for DarkEdit, does it work with the demo version of classic?

Paul.

[EDIT] I'll find out myself, found and downloading ...

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:14
As far as the demo I dont know but it should.
Let me know if it works.

DBP_NETLIB_v1.4.3 DarkTOPIA site coming soon!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:21
Before you go too far down that route, IIRC, the types in DarkEdit are just a preprocess that splits the items out into separate arrays.

Becomes

... only not always. The preprocessor is very sensitive to spaces etc - so much so that I stopped using it almost as soon as I started using it. IMO, it's best to do the arrays by hand so you don't miss anything.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:45
woh, i didnt know that!!! I don't care if it gets recompiled wierdly, I'm using types baby!!!

[url='http://www.ufanz.com/teams/tracking.asp?ti=689&mi=97723][/url]
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 08:57
Although the syntax looks like this

Also this is possible

Play Nice! Play Basic! Out now.

nFinity Emulator. Coming soon.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2004 09:06 Edited at: 9th Sep 2004 09:18
Ah right :/. I posted a query regarding types in the DBP forum before I came back to this thread. So forgive my lack of response here.

This looks to be more trouble than it's worth. Might suggest that they just get themselves DBP and use the plugin that way, or the native source. And there were only a couple who wanted it for DBC.

[EDIT] Good god!! This is just far too much work involved in moving the native code over to classic. Too many UDTs and code. I'll think I'm just going to go with the TPC/dba interface idea as this is by far less work for something that will die when they eventually decide to fork out the cash for DBP.

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:57:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:57:51