Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / EZrotate Enhanced

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 03:48 Edited at: 15th Sep 2004 03:51
This will now be the main thread for any EZrotate Enhanced news.

EZrotate is an easy to use, yet powerful command set to help eliminate complex mathematics from your games and apps.
For more info, click here:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=ezrotate

You can visit my EZrotate forums here:
http://www.ericksonline.com/support

OK, on to the breaking news:
Now complete and will be availble in the next update (soon):
-Align to poly: You tell EZrotate a Y rotation angle and define a plane with any three 3D coordinates. EZrotate will then set your object's rotation to align with the defined plane! This makes matrix and terrain alignment EASY!
-Set Rotation by Axis Angle: You pass 3 angles to EZrotate (XYZ). These, however, do not work like crazy confusing Euler angles. The X angle is an overall pitch angle of your object. The Y angle is it's true global heading direction. The Z angle is the amount of roll. Simple, the way rotations should be!
-Pitch To and Turn To: Now, in addition to the "Turn Pitch To" feature of EZrotate, I have devided the steps so you can do them individually. Why? It is now dead simple to set up rotation limits on EACH of the axis.

I am always still open to more suggestions for additional features. Post away if you have any useful ideas.

Regards,
Ron Erickson ~ a.k.a. WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:39
great news, im sure alot of people reading this thread, and noticing the on going development, will wish to purchase your product

im going to purchase it as soon as i get some cash

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 13:26
ditto

AMD Athlon XP 3000+, S3 Deltachrome s8, 512 PC3200 RAM, 160 GB HD
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 21:18
Thanks guys
I do plan to continue to add to it. The only problem is that I am starting to run out of ideas for things to add. lol

I am sure as more people start using it, more features will be requested. I am glad to add them as long as they are *somewhat* reasonable and I can figure out how to do it. I think things are very well covered so far though. Most additions will probably be special circumstance kind of stuff.

-Ron

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 22:09
I've purchased it. EZrotate is GREAT.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 00:07
as i said above im going to purchase it soon, mainly because i like the example of the rotating turret, its a great way to make something look like it has ai

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2004 04:36 Edited at: 16th Sep 2004 04:37
Another little feature added today:
-Find Normal: Will find the normal vector of a surface. The surface is specified by supplying ANY three 3D points.

I'm currently adding yet another COMPLEX feature. More news on that as soon as I get a bit more finished on it!

-Ron

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 05:58
My mind has definately been brewing the last few days!
Two more features added today!

-Rotate Surface To Surface: This one sounds a bit confusing. It will allow you to specify any surface of an object, and allow you to rotate towards any surface of another object by the angle specified. This is great for landing "Ships" on "Landing Pads" where the landing surface of the pad and the landing surface of the ship could be at ANY orientation!
-Find Local Y angle to Point: Another confusing name, another cool feature This one will let you specify ANY point. The command will return the local Y axis angle of a specified object to the specified point. Another good tool for turret systems!

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:08
Further functionality request:

-Find Local Pub: Find the closest ye olde pub.

More seriously, it'd be nice to have a command that gives the screen X and Y position of any worldspace X Y Z coordinates. I've put some example code for this into the codebase but one command would be even better.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:15 Edited at: 17th Sep 2004 06:18
Oh yeah....
I almost forgot about that one Philip! You did ask me a few days ago about that.

It will probably have to look something like this:
EZro_FindScreenXY ScreenWidth,ScreenHeight,FOVangle,PointX#,PointY#,PointZ#

Is that what your looking for?

Edit:
The Camera position and rotation would be setup with the EZro_SetEuler and EZro_SetPos commands.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:18
That'd be nice.

Also, yet again you have scared me with how quickly you have posted.

And, much more importantly, have you played my Manamana game yet? Check out the Program Announcements for the thread. Trust me, you want to play this game. Especially when you have a full stomach.

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2004 06:25
... although the DLL is now going way beyond being a rotate dll. Its now sort of a really helpful 3d maths dll. Maybe it should be called: EZ3dmaths.dll

Philip

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2004 21:04
If you were using the demo version, it expired today.

I am currently finishing off the first update. It includes (so far) 13 new commands, a few new features (see earlier posts) and 3 new example programs. Once this is complete, I will most likely create a new demo version. If you were using the demo version for your project, you are either going to have to wait a few days for a new demo, or finally break down and purchase it. I would recommend the purchasing route

-Ron

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 06:22
Philip,
I've decided NOT to include a function for the 2D position of a 3D coordinate. Sorry, I just think it is too messy. Why? When I do things I like them to cover all grounds. There are just too many variables with the camera for me to do this properly with one command. The way I described before would work, but only for a viewport that covered the entire screen. Things start to get messy with scaled viewports and multiple cameras.
I won't let you down though. Instead, I'll build a function in DBpro with EZrotate to do waht you want. It will be more than a single line of code, but still a lot shorter than the long-hand method.

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 09:10
Quote: "If you were using the demo version, it expired today."

And they still don't have a version of DBP that will run it with debug and stepthrough mode working Looks like I'm still waiting.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 12:11
Lost in Thought,
Well, that one is out of my hands. Not much I can do. I would be willing to bet that a new update of DBpro will be out soon though. If you were working on something with EZrotate and need the demo to continue with your project, send me an e-mail.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2004 14:30
Thanks man. I'll just move on to some graphics stuff until then I guess. I have hit a few boggles with the new terrain as well. Hopefully they'll come out with the next version soon. I'll be buying it when a more stable upgrade comes out that will run it. I already have the money saved up

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 21:59
I feel soooo let down.

Philip

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2004 22:11
I love your sarcasm

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2004 18:32
You'll be happy to know that ive just purchased both of the enhancement packs - its a real shame they don't work at weekends

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP Pro SP2 . Last reformat: 17/09/2004
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2004 06:01 Edited at: 29th Sep 2004 06:02
A couple more features are complete

-Set Offset Axis Angle: This feature will allow you to setup EZrotate using Axis Angles. The difference between this feature and the previously added Set Axis Angle feature, is that in this case, you pass two sets of axis angles. The first set is from zero rotation. The second set is from the first set. This allows for easy setup relative to any orientation. It will make things like parent/child setups EASY to do.

-Find Offset Axis Angle: This feature compliments the one mentioned above. This allows you to find axis angles from any orientation. Once again, this is very useful for parent/child rotation setups.

I am currently working on a feature that was suggested by Cellbloc Studios for rotation limitations.

Pretty soon, EZrotate's command set is going to be double the size as it was on release. Keep the feature requests coming... I'll do what I can to add them

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 22:35
How about a command that calculates the next XYZ worldspace position on parabolic arc between two XYZ points? I'm thinking something like:

EzRo_Find_Next_Parabolic_Point x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2, angle1, distance

where angle1 is the angle between the two vectors described by:

1. the vector from x1, y1, z1 to x2, y2, z2; and
2. the vector from x1, y1, z1 to the XYZ worldspace coordinates of the highest point in the parabolic arc

and where distance is the distance from x1, y1, z1 to the next point on the parabolic arc.

Cheers

Philip

Guyon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2004 22:41
As per our emails elliptical orbits would be great!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2004 03:44
Philip,
Interesting request. I'll look into it. What would you use it for?

Guyon,
I'll eventually get to that. I've looked into it *some* already and had some ideas in my head of how to implement it properly. I'll have to gather my thoughts on it again soon.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 09:46
Wolf, its the sort of thing that would be useful in RTS games for arcing ordinance weapons. A good example would be catapults.

Not that I am writing such a game. But I have suggested it to the RTS designers on these forums before. The answer which came back has always been: "that kind of maths is too difficult". Personally I think parabolic arcs are quite easy to calculate but there you go.

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 21:58
@WOLF

I keep meaning to ask: are EZrotate's products derived via matrix math or via quaternions? If the former, do you have any plans to include some basic quaternion functions?

Also, lest you have not seen them, please can I direct your attention to my posts in the DBPro forums regarding v5.7 Euler rotation and the multiple cameras / rotation order issue.

Cheers

Philip

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2004 22:45
EZrotate uses matrix math natively. When you setup EZrotate with Euler angles, Quaternions, or axis angles, it converts the values to a matrix and stores it internally. I don't see any real reason to add any further quaternion functionality. You can currently setup EZrotate with Quaternion values and retrieve Quaternion results.

I'll try to check out your posts as soon as I can. I'm heading out of town (on business) tonarow and I've been busy trying to get far enough ahead at work so I'm not slammed to bad when I get back. I'll have a quick look though....

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 06:19
I've got to admit theres not much real need but I thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 07:11 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 07:17
Heres an interesting thing. When I type in any EZrotate v2 command into Blue IDE I get an error: "Run time error 9 - subscript out of range". The IDE then crashes.

The default editor seems to work without delivering an error.

Thoughts? I think maybe I've left the DLL from the original version in my plugins folder - I'll try getting rid of it.

Philip

**EDIT: The same thing happens with the Enhancements pack so it looks like I've ballsed something up somewhere. Ho hum.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 08:28
Philip, i beatyou to it - I got that last week!!!

In the keywords ini file, there are 2 "==". This is where the link to the help HTML file has been omitted. Do a search and replace to anything at all between the equals (e.g =pants=, then rebuild the keywords in Blue IDE.

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 08:28 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 08:43
[Double Post]

BatVink
http://biglaugh.co.uk/catalog AMD 3000+ Barton, 512Mb Ram, 120 Gig Drive space, GeForce 5200 FX 128 Mb, Asus A7N8X Mobo.
Terms & Conditions apply
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 08:37
Thanks BatVink that fixed that.

I get the keyword help now. I still can't help to the help files themselves via the editor - is that also an error?

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 08:38 Edited at: 20th Oct 2004 08:46
Thanks BatVink that fixed that.

I get the keyword help now. I still can't help to the help files themselves via the editor - is that also an error?

Philip

**EDIT: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

**DOUBLE EDIT: An example line from the ezrotate.ini file reads:
EZro_SetEuler=C:\Root\Utils\DarkBasic Pro\Help\EZRotate\EZrotate Enhanced.htm=EulerX#, EulerY#, EulerZ#

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 08:46
No No you you can't can't...QUIT!

No, you can't get to the help files 'cos they are chm files, and the help system is HTML based. I think there is some way to create a menu link, but I haven't tried it.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 03:34
Quote: "EZro_SetEuler=C:\Root\Utils\DarkBasic Pro\Help\EZRotate\EZrotate Enhanced.htm=EulerX#, EulerY#, EulerZ#"

why not use

or

where nohelp.htm is a file which has got in it

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Ianhfar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2004 21:57
batvink and Philip please check my post
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=41323&b=1

regarding help files

Ian
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2004 01:17
*bump*

Oh WOLF? WOLFy? Yoohoo?

Philip

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 11:01
Yes???

What do you need kind sir?

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 21:10
LOL

Seriously, can I ask you to glance at the posts above regarding the help files. Is there anyway to integrate the help files in with DBPro's existing help files?

RSVP

Philip

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 22:43
Not that I know of....

As far as I know, DBpro's entire help system is being re-written in chm form. In the end, something will probably be done to get the helpfiles more integrated into the editors. Stuff like that is far from my specialty. TGC asked me to write my help files in chm format as it is now their standard, and that is what I did. If I get some extra free time, I'll see if I can figure anything out. I'm one busy WOLF though, so I can't make any promises.

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2004 23:44
I would like to know the current state of EzRotate V2. I installed it and it didn't work. In the comparison example where two balls are rotating, the EZrotate ball din't do nothing. I saw a thread where other people had the problem, so I just reinstalled V1.
But I was a little disconnected from the forum for work reasons, and I am not sure if it is already fixed.

may the 3d force B with U
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 00:58
Yes, it was fixed. Make sure that you have DBpro 5.7 installed, then re-download EZrotate v2 from your orders page and re-install it.

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 08:06
You also have to stand on your head for at least 10 minutes and recite the Bulgarian national anthem backwards in your head whilst singing the lyrics to Abba's "Waterloo".

Trust me, its a worthwhile experience.

Philip

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 12:37
I do not quite understand the Bulgarian comment, but I already downloaded and tested the plugin. It is working as expected.

may the 3d force B with U
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2004 19:01
Quote: "I do not quite understand the Bulgarian comment, but I already downloaded and tested the plugin. It is working as expected."

Wow! How did you get it working without reciting the Bulgarian National Anthem? I tried it many times, and it didn't work until I sang loud and proud.

BatVink
Terms & Conditions apply
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 00:18
Yes, if the Bulgarian national anthem is not sung then the hidden secret features of EZrotate do not become available.

Philip

IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 02:16
what like you can't access the "hit phillip round the head function"?

sorry way to easy

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 02:47
Speaking of hidden secret features of EZrotate, there are two

I'll post more later....

WOLF

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 06:01
Sorry WOLF but the picture of you sitting in a barrel of Strongbow cider is unlawful in the UK as being contrary to the Obscene Publications Act.

Philip

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2004 06:02
Er, I've said too much, haven't I?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:16:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:16:43