Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Useful or not?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 05:19
I know there are a lot of DLLs out there for physics, but I'd like to create one myself with ASM. It'll be much faster then others and will include things like:

Trajectory calculations for things like rockets and missiles. It's even possible to calculate the effects fuel burn off.

Collision of objects

Physics for cars that report stability as you race around curves.

Dynamic physics for waterborne vehicles.

Flight paths of objects when struck.

Airplane physics and characteristics.

That is only some of the things that are planned for this DLL plugin if I don't lose my mind using the FPU registers of the computer. I'll need testers along the way, so I hope some of you guys are up for the challenge.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 05:42
I'm already working on one so shu shu , but mine's not in ASM. How could you program a whole physics system in ASM, that must be awfull .

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 05:54
The complex math is awful. In asm you have to use FPU registers for the math I'll need. Here's a quick example of how square roots look with FPU registers.

Floating point registers have always been my weakness in ASM because I tried to avoid them, but now I will take the biggest challenge of all and go at them full force. If I did this in C++ I could have it almost complete in a week because the math is easier to write out, and I have a lot of free time.
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 06:40
i would love to see this - please make it freeware

Used to be Phoenix Insane : PC Spec-AMD Athlon 2.0Ghz,GeForce FX5200 128mb,512MB of ram, Win XP
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 08:28
I didn't want to make this plugin freeware simply because it's going to be a lot of work to create, and also I'm about to lose almost everything I have soon if I don't get some money. I have a full time job that pays well, but where I live the cost of living is going up and eventually it catches up with you. The only people that seem to do well here are the seniors, because they've owned their house for over 30 years or more, and got things when they were dirt cheap.

Work has been started in this plugin today. Once I get a nice portion coded out, I will upload a sample. Near the end of completion I will need 1-3 people to test out the functions of the DLL.
Torrey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2004 14:24
Also a quick note if you want to see how the source works, even though I'm not going to use this one as freeware. Pay attention to the test example dll I work on in the other thread. In that dll I typically toss commands that I want to test out. That only gets re uploaded when the commands I try are successful.
nuclear glory
Years of Service
User Offline
If either of you would be interested in including the v3 release of the NGC library into your physics system feel free to get in touch. A static NGC library will be available, so it can be linked with your system and re-released as a physics plugin with integrated NGC collision. The nice part about this is that everytime we release an update your physics system will immediately benefit.

Yes, recompiling our library into another library and releasing it normally goes against our license to prevent everyone from getting a free copy of the NGC. That's pretty standard though.

However, I believe that if we "teamed up" to form a final physics/collision plugin we could sell the plugin for an agreed price and split the bucks made from it.

Our upcoming NGC release is planned to sell for $24.95 for the BASIC languages. If we partnered up to release a physics/collision system we could do something like release the final library for $34.95 and evenly split the profit made from it.

Let me know if this is something either of you would be interested in. All parties would retain their own source code. You could provide me a static library to link with the NGC or vice versa, doesn't matter to me

My email is:
mdd@nuclearglory.com

We'll have more to discuss once v3 is out. We can go over it then as well.

Lead Programmer/Director
Powerful Collision DLL for DBPro and DBC: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lightwave Scene Exporter to .X also at: http://www.nuclearglory.com
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2004 13:37
If you do this I will buy it. I've been looking forward to a good collision and physics combo. I think this could be it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:22:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:22:51