Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Question to admin/moderator: Did you make these forums?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 01:07
Did you code these forums or get them from a free forum site?
Code of the Week: Moving an object back.

x=Object Number
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:03
=\ i think he coded them... im not sure...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Skyone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:37
I think it's one of the best layouts.

x=Object Number
Skyone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 02:38

_______
x=Object Number
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 03:57
I think it's awfull. We must be here with a IE browser... any other browser and u cannot use the buttons as snippet and the other ones...
The buttons as "Forum List" "New Topic" and so on looks like the ones which cames freely on Flash 5.0.

It lacks many topics... Should be one of General Discussion for subjects like Windows problems or something but still related to computers and one of Off Topic...
And I kinda liked more a "darken" forum then this light one in terms of design as well

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
-- Rogue
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 04:03
Rich made this foum. Hi is a very busy guy but next year he will start working full time for DBS and then he will improve this forum, or at least that's what he said =) There's one good thing about this forum and that's the speed. RGT takes way longer to load.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 04:12
I think RGT should also have a DB forum

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 04:16
Well, it does have it actually :S

-- Rogue
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 09:29
the rgt forums are the darkbasic forums for rgt... O_O... or am i mistaken...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 14:36
RGT Forums for US Users
DBpro Forums (Apollo) for UK Users

but really this is the official one, RGT is the subs company but official US one ... and they both are suppose to cater for the World Wide market, which currently covers
America, Europe, Russia, Australia & Some of the African Countries ... however is used but peeps from all ales.

now i remember that RGT now has the multi-lingual subsections so you can speak natively, but Spanish|German|French|Italian only right now thou - i think lol
http://www.RealGameTools.net/forum that should be it, unless its changed again, or my memory is poor

These have been developed by scratch by Rich Davey (not Rick Vanner which for some reason i confuse the two, not even as if they look alike lmao)
I think the original Apollo developed and up for exactly a day back in March 2002 was mostly snippets here and snippets there as it had a very premade forum feel about it - but i could be wrong.
This one however i'm pretty sure is completely his own code

Can't wait until Rich gets more time to work on them again cause when he was there was alot of progress quick, kinda just stopped when he got all busy with external projects

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:34
But do not forget Riches jobs are:

Apollo
DB.com
DBDN
DBPro.com
DarkForge

and maybe some others...

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:39
No current project of his is non-db related i think
those are just ontop of, althought there hasn't been alot of maintainance of them the past month or so

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:42
He also got a regular job. Or had a regular job =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:55
lmao... don't we all (^_^)
DarkBasic probably can't bring home the bacon, which is a shame - ya know the ironic thing is that until there is one big commercial game DarkBasic will never really attain a huge status

i think the guys should develop their own game using DBpro once they finish tinkering with it - that'd be quite amusing, making more profit from a game they develop than the program they developed to actually develop the game

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:56
yeah

he a DB man now

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:59
Vegeta:
I don't have a regular job =) I'm getting support to work on TML and then more support when I start my company Digital Awakening =) I love Sweden!

[b]Digital Awakening
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 21:45
how the hell you'd pull that off ... your parents supporting you to work on i (o_0)?

lol, ho well nm
looks like i'm probably gonna have to actually sponser the Exodus Team for thier work to commence, but i dunno i'm kinda edgy about actually handing out a $10k grant per member because i'm not sure i'll see it again ... really don't wanna break myself
be good to see them working for and towards thier own merits ... but i dunno, doesn't seem like many here are too up for anything like that ya know what i mean?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 21:49
DarkBasic probably can't bring home the bacon, which is a shame - ya know the ironic thing is that until there is one big commercial game DarkBasic will never really attain a huge status

=P raven we have 2 sponsors for tdh... ^_^ and its supposed to be a commercial success... O_O i just program what they tell me...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:00
Vegeta:
Here in Sweden you can get money if you're studying to get a job or start a new company. What I'm doing now I got as a type of education and when I start the company (aiming for april) I get 6-12 more months =)

I'm glad I studied at the university so I get more money, still it's the lovest level of system cause I never worked enough to rise it. I get about 555USD/month =)

Maybe I can increase that satus for DBP you're talking about =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:02
o_O im supported by my mom... ^_^ and shes rich...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:05
well from what i've seen of it... i dunno didn't really seem too grand ya know

kinda screwed up world i guess, probably the most insane part of all my companies business here is the fact probably the largest and just something which i hope will be outstanding, rather than publishing it myself i've let EA take over those rights.
The deal is worth something obscene thought which is there simply for FMTau's publishing ... and we have an open term agreement, cause its a zero pressure project.

i'm not sure who'd actually sponsor a game development, i mean publishers give advances|grants because you're obligated to develop to a very tight schedual if you do, oftenly something for actual demos and such but i dunno.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:11
i'm not sure who'd actually sponsor a game development, i mean publishers give advances|grants because you're obligated to develop to a very tight schedual if you do, oftenly something for actual demos and such but i dunno.

i have two sponsors ^_^... and they both want a tech demo... but i told avatar if he doesnt give me the material i cant make it...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 23:04
Vegeta:
"well from what i've seen of it... i dunno didn't really seem too grand ya know"

You mean TML? I didn't mean that TML would change the status of DBP, but maybe I will in the future. CCA2 won't probably do it but I hope it will sell some. Moon that I will start on (again) later next year will be a full scale game with 1-2 artists. I got a tracker already making wonderful music for me =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 23:42
^_^ hehe... dg im trying to get a game out next year... fullscale... i was hired... we have about 5 artists 2 programmers... then the 1 guy making all the shit up... (mods it was done beforehand or i would have refused to help)...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 05:12
Puff:
I don't think you need that many artists to make a full scale game =) You just need some that works fast and doesn't remake things.

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 06:07
o_O there all good but we need different styles... ^_^ its a card game right... o_O how would you feel if you cant tell the cards apart... O_O plus we have 3d artists to make a model per card...

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 15:39
Before you think about games changing the status of DBS (and DBPro) you need to get the product 'up-to-scratch'.

More tutorials are needed, along with better documentation of features and much better Demo's publicly avaliable. We see loads of GREAT screenshots showing really great features, but never see demo's OR if the project goes under NEVER any SOURCE CODE !!!!

OK, thats my complaint of the day.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 16:19
And we need working commands & better error reporting.

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 20:17
Puff:
More artists should increase developement time and game quality. However, bigger companies can over work things just beacuse they have so many artists that it doesn't matter if you rework things for the 5th time.

MP and Toad:
Fixing bugs and showing demos won't increase the status of DBP. Only what games we make can improve the status if they get published, sold and writen about in magazines.

[b]Digital Awakening
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 21:30
How did we get so off topic???

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 22:12
When I told Vegeta that I don't work like every body else =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 22:21
More artists should increase developement time and game quality. However, bigger companies can over work things just beacuse they have so many artists that it doesn't matter if you rework things for the 5th time.

i know this is true... o_O right now we are not worried about what it looks like... we couldnt care less... we want game play... ^_^ if the game looks great but isnt fun to play who will play it... graphics come later...

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2003 22:22
(but why we make the rough game our artists are making the good art o_O)

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 11:03
DG:

Acording to PCPlus it will, and i trust PCPlus.

They placed BB3D first over DBPro becasue of lack of documentation. But not in the form of the manual, but of open source demo's included with the game.

They say that the demos included do not show the real power avaliable by using DBPro. And good demo's allow newbi's to aim at somming realistic. (i say the last bit )

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 11:51
actually DG i ment The Half Dark or whatever the name of puffy's current project is.
I dunno, its kinda weird cause i mean the actual development teams on the titles i've worked on has been very varied - in general you'd keep the modelers with thier skinners on a certain section.
But i dunno ... if you've got sponsers then thats all cool, but i dunno.

I've been around DarkBasic, BlitzBasic and the Mod communities far too long to make the stupid mistake of subsidising people from the start. Until there is a working demo and the actual team is capable of working together rather than just being friends with an idea and a hope - then i might as well just goto the nearest storm drain and throw it down there.

though martyn has a point about DBpro ... and to a lesser extent DarkBasic Standard. The documentation isn't greatly there - however that said, anyone who has read the Microsoft Manuals for anything can safely say that DarkBasics is extremely helpful.

As far as professional goes, a different approach to the manual is in order - and perhaps like DarkBasic the time spent the month or two before developing demo's before the next box release.
However I must say 1.08 did get the Demo and Utility CD which was actually quite helpful source wise, and the BlitzBasic stuff on thier current CDs is also Community based.

I think rather than just showing a tutorial to one kinda of game perhaps a few types of game demos of, and then one or two complete classics
Also if this is done you'd need to see someone comment them in a way that complete beginners will start to understand the structuring - when the v1.08 tutorial for an FPS came out it certainly was one of the best tutorials i've had the chance to use in a good while.

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 12:22
^_^ hah raven... o_O ok if you really wanna know... heres what we have... i dont think avatar will be happy about this...:

combat engine (my doing ^_^ it was fun... kinda like a FFVII sorta thing with better graphics... o_O im on version 0.2... alpha... based on fuctions... so we can just load the premade decks...)

multiplayer with a multi-threaded server (we were going to do a single thread but it would put too much stress on the server... which is a 1.5... or 1.7ghz multi processor 1.5gig rm amd based server based at mad4games.... it has a t3 connection... ^_^... but only 40 gigs of hd space... i guess it will work)

client software... (well sorta... we have chat/game rooms/ingame play all working but i need to tie in the combat engine and we need to spify up the graphics... i would say this isnt really complete... and our account creation thing will go on an ftp probably... =\ or right in the server itself... O_O)...

server software... (all you need to do to run your own server is start our server software... we have passwords and such protecting the sever... plus we are encrypting all of our files ^_^)

all of the multiplayer code is completely not db... we made all of the dll's in a language called pure basic... you could say darkbasic is to C++ like pure basic is to ASM...
(db multiplayer code is good... but i dont like it at all...)

we have a hacker named =ICON= who is a popular hacker... he keeps trying to crack our software and telling us how he did it so we can fix it... (this guy is 1337 o_O...)

artists... (ack these guys are lazy as hell... we have some nice models that need work and all... but i want my td art... i want it now O_O... the 2d artists are making the pictures for the cards you see on the table... o_O the 3d artists are making all of the 3d models for the cards that get put into the combat engine... so its kinda like magic... with completely different rules... but then you go into a combat engine and see your guys actually fighting... ^_^... plus you can cast counterspells and so on depending on what you have in your hand when your in the engine...)

our token system is not done... (when you win a game you get tokens to buy new cards with... ^_^ or you can trade...)

we almost have all the cards... (the first pack is called "The DarkHalf: The Enemy Within"... it has about 360 cards... 50 of which you can play with in 1 deck at a time... =)...)

our editors are being worked on... (so you can create and modify your own decks)...

ugh... um i think our database might be done... (usual kind of database with fields records and such...)

^_^ i really cant say what the game is but i gave you guys some hints... =P were trying to make some money off of the magic guys... if you want more info just tell me... ^_^

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:22
MP:
Being at the top of list over game making software like B3D and DBP hardly counts as much status. Sure it's better for B3D then DBP. But until a real retail game is made, published and distributed to stores there's little status in it. Making mods in Half Life, Q3 or UT has far more status at the moment. Both CS and TO are published retail games now.

[b]Digital Awakening
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:28
All it needs is a retail game with a 1 second DBP logo at startup to sell loads. However, I fear that would mean more idiots asking questions like "I want to make a game like GTA 4 but better, how do I do it? (PS. I am a complete n00bi)"

NOBODY has a forum name as stupid as Darth Shader. I do.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:32
MP:
Being at the top of list over game making software like B3D and DBP hardly counts as much status. Sure it's better for B3D then DBP. But until a real retail game is made, published and distributed to stores there's little status in it. Making mods in Half Life, Q3 or UT has far more status at the moment. Both CS and TO are published retail games now.

i agree and tacitcal ops was awesome... ^_^...

All it needs is a retail game with a 1 second DBP logo at startup to sell loads. However, I fear that would mean more idiots asking questions like "I want to make a game like GTA 4 but better, how do I do it? (PS. I am a complete n00bi)"

three words... lol...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:52
Well, I'm not reading what all those newbies are writing so I don't care. What a retail game would bring is some serious teams that would make their own games thus leading to more retail games.

[b]Digital Awakening
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 13:56
well still can't say the graphics really, well took me for the amount of guys on there.
And who the hell is =ICON=? i mean it sounds interesting but - i dunno it won't sell well without nice appealing graphics ... i know they shouldn't be the basis for a game but you have 5artists - one of them should be able to draw no?

personally if the hacker is so good get the bugger working on the actual game! or can he only hack?
( and you know my thoughts on Leet puffy :: throw a look at puffy :: )

i don't know what the big deal about mods are, i mean Raven Software has been developing mod game before people even knew there was such a thing!
hardly a new concept which amuses me alot...

personally i'd love to see a game put DarkBasic up there as a number 1 games developer (and when that happens can the oldies please get thier own forum??)
it isn't hard to actually make a game within DarkBasic Pro which could compare to the likes of Quake3 - but what ya'll seem to forget and newbies don't even care about, is you can't just jump into a massive development of a title.

Should start small and work your way up ... i mean people who get into C++ are stupid if they think they can develop and outstanding 3D engine within a few months thanks to tutorials. people just want games but they want them without effort - and i'm sorry folks but it just doesn't bloody happen.

you want to know why it is so hard to get into the higher development companies, its because THEY WANT PEOPLE WHO'LL work ... because students can barely handle the courses without crying let alone the stress and time required for a full title!
Even worse are those who believe they're so good at everything that they don't need anyone else to achieve this goal!!

There are countless bellyfollopping games per year from professional teams of people who have many years of experience developing them, what could possibly make anyone here believe that they are capable of replacing an entire team of about 20people and achieve a better job in less time!??

might not be popular but ya'll need to wake up and actually finish a simple game, even if it is a clone of a classic and understand how much work it is before you start going on about your global killer title that is better than anything professional on the market!!

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 14:19
Vegeta:
I made CCA in 29 days without knowing much about DB, I learned as I made it and it's the same with TML. That's why I'm keeping my games small for now. I know what it takes to make a good game in DBP and it sure doesn't take a team of 20 to make one in 6 monts. So maybe it won't be a revolution in graphics but that's not necesary today.

The source from TML won't need much work to make a better RPG thus shortening the programming time in the future. It's a lot more flexible then CCA but I'm still learning how to make that part better. My adventure engine will use a lot of TML's source that probably makes up 50% of the code needed. I have the future planned with every game I make beeing a stone I can stand on.

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 22:12
i dunno it won't sell well without nice appealing graphics ...

god damnit raven LISTEN... GAMEPLAY COMES BEFORE GRAPHICS... ok i get the gameplay done THEN AND ONLY THEN CAN I GO BACK AND WORRY ABOUT GRAPHICS... if you think you can just sprout out of the ground and make a game with awesome graphics your a fucking retard... you must get the game done first... and if you are programming correctly all of your code should be in easly to use functions... if you dont have any functions and are using gosubs and labels... then you suck... ^_^ ok... does that make sense...

and you know my thoughts on Leet puffy :: throw a look at puffy ::

yeh puffy has been driven insane... ^_^ WOW ARENT WE GLAD... puffy has problems... yay go puffy... lets all make fun of him because he needs it right now...

and i like your plan dg... just remember functions are the key...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 23:53
Puff:
Thanks =)

Actually I really prefer gosubs =) The point of using gosubs instead of functions is that they use global variables instead of returning only one. Like I have a keyboard gosub that reads all keys pressed and changes all values that needs to be changed. Then I stuff all the gosubs into the loop and my loop gets really short =) Ok, so everything isn't in gosubs at the moment, some code is in the loop. Faster to program that way =)

I really like the game you're working on, sounds very interesting =) I have played some magic, I own some cards. And I play the trial a lot online kicking ass very often. I like white but I realised that the Decay (black) deck have one card that makes it better then the rest, Corrupt =) I usually win with both decks, the other 3 in the trial isn't as secure to play, it's easier to lose.

Anyway I have this plan on making my own cardgame, based on this RPG world that I'm working on (dream project). It's kinda similar to magic in many ways and it would be very nice to test something different. You need a beta tester? =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 00:01
based on this RPG

so is ours ^_^ we have i think 5 or 6 different kinds of cards... maybe 7... O_O when the time comes i will anounce in here for people who want to be alpha testers... thx for the compliments... i dont get many o_O... the point of my functions is to make flexible code... ^_^ i usually dont even return a value... void functions are the best... in c++ i usually use references and pointers... some localized variables but not many...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 02:24
Functions are also slower then gosubs =) Sure functions are nice when you wanna do things over and over that requires different values like maybe drawing buttons. But so far I had no use for it. For/Next loops are great =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 03:05
Its totally possible to make a living making games and software with DBPro - I do, admittedly primarily personal project for peop-le at the mo, bu thoping as every1 is to go global

And for those in the UK, you can set up as self employed under the governments New Deal Scheme and get equivalent of 12 month JSA plus your earnings

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 05:16
damn thats a nice uk thing...

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 02:10
Quote: "
The deal is worth something obscene thought which is there simply for FMTau's publishing ... and we have an open term agreement, cause its a zero pressure project.
"

LOL, yeah, sure.

Ogres have layers.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 02:47
^_^ dont doubt him empty... it will just start a flame bait...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:12:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:12:21