Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Maybe I should write a book =)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 03:36
Recently I had many asking me how to do this and that in DB but I don't have time learning anyone nor do I want to give out code because then they won't learn. I belive that you learn best by figuring out things by yourself as I have done all my life and are still doing every day with TML. I'm happy to give clues and a little help here and there.

So I have been playing around with the idea of someday write a book. Something like "Game making in Dark Basic Pro". It would be written in a way that it learns the reader how to split up the game into separate problems and how to tackle the problems one by one by showing simple solutions that the reader can build on. I would show how different commmands can be used, code structuring and some game design and game making philosophy. Maybe some artistic tricks as well.

Well, it's just an idea, I have many =) Who knows if I ever write a book like this. At the moment I'm too busy and I don't feel like a master, not yey anyway =) Though I get lots of nice comments on how pro TML looks and that it's the best some have seen made in DB. Thanks everyone, comments like that are always welcome =)

But I still only know very little of DBP. I started using DB about 1½ year ago. If my company Digital Awakening survives I may actually write this book. Who would be interested in it already?
[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 10:14
o_O i would buy it out of support i guess... but i have been using db since version 1... ^_^ moral support... =P but remember db & dbpro will only get you so far... try C++ with direct x or opengl... (if you want a dx sdk just go to microsoft.com... now if you want an opengl sdk look for GLUT... its the name of it... o_O thats why people cant find it...)

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 10:15
o_O i would buy it out of support i guess... but i have been using db since version 1... ^_^ moral support... =P but remember db & dbpro will only get you so far... try C++ with direct x or opengl... (if you want a dx sdk just go to microsoft.com... now if you want an opengl sdk look for GLUT... its the name of it... o_O thats why people cant find it...)

OH AND TO ANYONE READING THIS ... (that cares) I HAVENT BEEN ONLINE MUCH LATELY BECAUSE MY SAT IS OUT ( a storm... a 3 day long storm... o_O)

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 10:16
o_O my sat posted it twice... sry to everyone im havin uploading problems... rain storm blarg...

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 17:38
That would come in handy . There're a big book of 900 pages out on amazon.com though, which would be hard to beat . But u know what I really enjoy reading? Pocket books... maybe u could write a pocket book ( 3 at least for beginner, intermediate and advanced users ) about BB. Actually, with the books price in Sweden... those are the ones I can afford with .

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 17:39
ooops... about DB... sorry I swear it was not intentional.

-- Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 17:45
U know... long ago I wrote some books. Actually, 10 books following a story that I made up. I started at the age of 13. I've always been a good writer and loved what I was doing. I never worried about try to publish my books and today they're all lost, with exception of what I remember of the stories...
I went to the university and became a journalist, but never had the luck to work with that due a tight sealed market .

I've tried to revive those books making a game which also failed. So, if u have a point there, try to publish a book b4 it's too late... In another words, don't be a loser like me

-- Rogue
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 17:53
Puff:
I see no reason why I should use C++. DBP allows me to be a lone programer and still make amazing games. How long would it take me to learn C++ and then make TML? I wanna make games now and hopefully live on it instead of taking classes or get a job while trying to learn C++ on my own. I can see no limits in DBP for my games.

Rouge:
What kind of book is that? And I have no intension to make a huge book. Nor will I make it for advanced users. I would make a smaler cheaper book for those who can't figure out how to start on a game. It would cover all the basics like making an editor, 2D GUIs, movement and animation, file handling, mouse interaction, multiplayer etc. Things that ppl could build there own games from.

[b]Digital Awakening
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 18:03
They were fantasy books, like Knights, sorceres and Powerful swords, a big deal about five sacred stones and everything .

I liked the things with swords cause I always been, and always will be a big fan of Thundercats, Dungeon and Dragons, He-Man, She-ra, Excalibur and many others . U might remember my game. It was first a 2D game in C, later with DB ( was going fine until I've lost my hole HD with a bad computer I bought from OnOFF ), thanks to Sir_Manfrad who made me join this forum and latest with BB ( which we stoped due the lack of models and complexity making it all work together, animations, battle, indoor/outdoor )... it all failed :S. It was called Beyond the Phantasy, divided in 10 episodes that I wrote by hand ( when a teen, I did not have money to buy even a writermachine ). My latest book, trying to make all in one, into a new story, this time envolving elves and dwarfs in the best Dungeon and Dragons plot with new stuff was called Beyond the Phantasy; Legends. But I never managed to finish that one. Josh Mooney or better known as Moondog gave me a hand with my crap english, but I never tried to keep on it... Maybe I should reestart that one.... maybe...

-- Rogue
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 18:15
I was talking about the 900 pages one =) I started writing my post before you posted about your 10 books. Sounds prety impressive though. I have always wanted to write novels but I don't have the skill to make anything but short stories. I have found that games are my kind of media =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:15
Puff:
I see no reason why I should use C++. DBP allows me to be a lone programer and still make amazing games. How long would it take me to learn C++ and then make TML? I wanna make games now and hopefully live on it instead of taking classes or get a job while trying to learn C++ on my own. I can see no limits in DBP for my games.

take a class... why would ya do that o_O i would never take a class on that shit... ^_^ all you need is internet tutorials *like they help* but even more than that... get some examples.... O_O i love examples... like the torque engine... they gave 4 example levels... its awesome (for those of you who dont know the torque engine is a modified tribes 2 engine....)

Rouge:
What kind of book is that? And I have no intension to make a huge book. Nor will I make it for advanced users. I would make a smaler cheaper book for those who can't figure out how to start on a game. It would cover all the basics like making an editor, 2D GUIs, movement and animation, file handling, mouse interaction, multiplayer etc. Things that ppl could build there own games from.

OH GOD THANK YOU... o_O finally a book for all the "I WANT TO MAKE A GAME COULD YOU PLEASE MAKE IT FOR ME BECAUSE I MISPLACED MY BRAIN"... i know youve answered your lot dg... O_O but do you think you should help em further...

Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:17
I keep getting the idea of writing a book.
I mean, I don't read much (except the DBpro) but I get lot's of ideas. Now that you mention it, perhaps it's a good idea to make a book based on these forums? Or perhaps write one as a RP of these forums.

Before I started getting ideas about programming, I used to think about books, now I like to make storys up with computer games but it's still fun to think about doing it in a book too.

Join FWMB @ aimoo
I'm one BIG nasty lizard.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:26
Puff:
I can't both make a living and learn C++. And I must get my ideas out now or I explode. And for games DBP is all I need.

Well, if I have them through a book I can earn some money on it as well =) And maybe I get famous too =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 19:30
You sound just like me.
Got ideas but just need to distrubute them.

Join FWMB @ aimoo
I'm one BIG nasty lizard.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:21
I can't both make a living and learn C++. And I must get my ideas out now or I explode. And for games DBP is all I need.

^_^ i can... O_O i learn fast... very fast... all i really do in c++ right now is make dll's for dbpro (it makes it faster)... o_O im really kinda using dbpro as a fast linker ^_^...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:40
an interesting proposition DG
i think there should be like a 21days to becomming a DarkBasic Games Programmer - certainly be interesing, but by no means a lone project because if you only ever have one point of veiw then people will tend to learn the wrong way just copying rather than actually learning like the current tutorials

i'd be happy to help out in anyway if you decide you want to (^_^)

p.n. anyone who uses C++ and a prebuilt 3D Game Engine ontop of DirectX|OpenGL shouldn't be coding in C++
your effectively modifying someone elses work to what you want rather than developing properly - an engine which if you go commercial you have to pay rights for and the language isn't as striaght forward as DB as you have to think on more than just a single level or step at a time which isn't really the coding style all programmers like.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:45
p.n. anyone who uses C++ and a prebuilt 3D Game Engine ontop of DirectX|OpenGL shouldn't be coding in C++
your effectively modifying someone elses work to what you want rather than developing properly - an engine which if you go commercial you have to pay rights for and the language isn't as striaght forward as DB as you have to think on more than just a single level or step at a time which isn't really the coding style all programmers like.

which is why i bought the book "how to program your own 3d engines... algorithams in action"... i made that title up but its about the same... o_O first your forced to learn the greek alphabet... then you get to fumble with the calulus... O_O and have a jolly ol time with mr. math my best friend... im sorry raven rather than just spend 2 years of my life makin and awesome engine... right now i would rather work with someone elses... O_O just like how i got a hold of the unix kernel... im tryin to make my own os... =\ but i cant make my own kernel... ^_^ newayz dbpro is an engine...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 22:50
Vegeta:
The book would only learn them the basics. Not tell them how to write their own CS clone =) It won't be a tutorial that shows them how to code to make this or that but show how things work and give them ideas on how to start.

If I write a book it would probably be from my own experience, once I have figured out enough stuff to put in the book =) And I really need to make things really simple and generic. I like things smal and flexible =)

DBP really got a good level. Not a limited wysiwyg program while still keeping it simple enough for me to use =) I actually started coding Lingo and DB is very similar but much more advanced since Lingo is only for multimedia.

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2002 23:05
if you wanna learn a pointless language... try BRAINFUCK... its awesome...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:43:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:43:33