Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Noob got a question what sort of game can I do with DBpro?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all

First of all I am new to DBpro but not to DB cause I used T3GM That is based on DB engine.
My questions are:

1 Can I make a good commercial game with it?

2 When running the exe game will I still see a loading bar?

3 Can I make a menu to the game? (Options video ETC) that support latest 3D cards

4 Can you compare DBpro to other commercial engines?

5 DB was very slow how is DBpro?

6 Can I make a 3D person game with it?

Thanks all
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 17:48
1 yes

2 no

3 yes

4 i think yes

5 DBPro is around 10x/20x faster than DB

6 yes
Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Not if your game is built around a BSP level.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. More work then any other engine.
5. 5x faster then DB for 3D, 100x faster with 2D
6. Not at the moment. Don't be fooled by the "box" that the demo reffers to as a BSP map.

90% of the people who are on this forum are 100% biased and will always recommend DB products (Will literaly say anything for you to buy). My only advice to you is to download the demo, check it out, and then shop around. See what best suits your "complete objective" for game development and go for that. Here are a few more questions to ask yourself when deciding.

What will the development cost be?
What extra tools will I need to use this engine?
What licensing issues must be considered?

What I can say good about DBPro is this. If you want to use terrains or a matrix for your game environments then DBPro is an excellent choice. It function quickly and flawlessly. If you want to create a 3D flying game, DBPro has simple commands to make this an easy task. If you want to build a sprite based game, once agin DBPro is an excellent choice.

I would like to help you out with a list of alternatives to DB probasic, but then I would just end up getting serious flak from the people mentioned above.

Good luck with your game development ventures.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 19:43
I think you'll find DBPro uses a lot less work to do a 3D game than WildTangent, so statement 4 is incorrect.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro requires a lot more work then Reality Factory, 3DGamestudio, and a slew of others. Don't spread disinformation to newbies!!! That is exactly what I am warning the guy about. (These people will say anything)

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 19:52
Have you tried WildTangent?

Anyway, 3DGame Studio isn't a proper programming language.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Super Teo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 19:57
Probasic: I suggest that you try the demo that is out now.
No better way to find out if DB Pro is what your looking for
Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
3D Gamestudio is more then just a proper programming language. Stop talking about things of which you have absolutely no clue. I have tried everthing, I am a game developer.

probasic
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Pickles

I got DBpro
bought it because I want to learn some programming
got some background with DB since I played with T3GM
I wanted to know which game the veterans here intend to do with DBpro or think Dbpro can do
I tried for my game (GCS) game system creation which is cool if you know to handle it limits. But for my game I choose Realty Factory that comes with a good and easy editor. Thanks for the help Pickles do not be afraid to write what you think. DBpro Looks good the programming langue is nice to a NOOB like me and I want to make a 2D game with 3D elements. Contact me via mail please
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 20:23
1. Yes - But DBPro is still quite buggy (will be fixed)

2. No

3. Yes, go to [url]www.darkbasic.com[/url] and download the LightCycles game on the news page, that has a good menu

4. DBPro is a compromise, ie. less powerful than C++ Game Development SDKs but much easier. It is much more powerful than 3DGameStudio or RealityFactory but slightly harder. Still commands include:

Loading an entire Quake 3 / Half-Life / Quake 2 Level:

LOAD BSP "pakfile.pak", "level.bsp"

Easy!

5. DBPro is between 5x and 10x faster (depending on the task) than DB as it creates proper machine-code executables. It is 100x faster for 2D at least.

6. Yes - Use BSP maps (Best for First Person adeventure / shooters) or Terrains (RPGs / sports) or Matrixes (RPGs / sports / platformers) - For 3D worlds you can also use .X files. BSP maps are quick and relatively easy to make as there are good tools (eg WorldCraft, Q3Radiant) for making them.

As you are a newbie, I believe that DBPro is the perfect intermediate solution. But wait for the bugfixes (The retail product has problems)

DBPro is a programming lanuage, 3DGameStudio is a Click n' Build one. Crap unless you want to make really simple games.

Pickles, I'll trust you if you can give me some examples of projects you have worked on or are working on. I don't care if you have a top-rate PhD in games design, show me some evidence and I will believe you.

what is a signature?
Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro is well suited to making a 2D game with 3D elements. (one of the few engines that handles it well) I would like to help you out some more, but I think I'm just about done with this forum. Anyways probasic, once again, good luck.

Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
My work is for my clients thundermonkey, not for you!

probasic
Years of Service
User Offline
Pickles contact me VIA my enail please
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 22:26
Pickles, I'm not asking for much, just some proof that you are who you say you are.

what is a signature?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 22:27
OK, I don't want to start a war, so scrub that question.

PEACE.

what is a signature?
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2002 23:35
Pickles how do you get any clients if you can't show THEM any of your work?

""I would like to help you out with a list of alternatives to DB probasic, but then I would just end up getting serious flak from the people mentioned above.""

Have you ever thought of using E-mail, or even Db-mail.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram
probasic
Years of Service
User Offline
haggisman it is ok
i got my DBpro today
and i am very cool with it
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2002 03:04
haggisman - before anyone else jumps in and screams about it, the db-mail facility isn't hooked up yet. Email however would suffice for now!

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 04:10:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 04:10:30