Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D Studio Max Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 09:17
Hi there.
I just put my first character model together (using 3d studio max 3) and i now want to create a skin of some sort.
I tried to do this using the crop/place options in the material editor. The crop settings had no affect, each limb had the whole of my would be skin texture on it.
Is this a conversion problem? (i use conv3ds to convert from .3ds to .x)
Is it my limited knowledge of studio max?
Or better yet, is there another, easier way that i am not aware of?
Help please, i'm so close to having my first completed game character.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2003 12:39
Not entirely sure what your asking here...
do you wish to setup a texture|skin for the model?
or do you want to make a skin texture for the model?

have your UV|Texture Mapped the model yet?
if you're unsure on howto achieve this, then consult your help file.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
GavinO
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you're looking for UVW Map/UVW Unwrap. The first makes your model, well, firendly to mapping and the second allows you to stretch the map image along the mesh. With anything like a person, you need to manage the mapping yourself, the basic UVW map gizmos won't be of much help.

Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 07:58
UVW Map/UVW Unwrap is indeed the answer.

Thanks all.

Lancewrath
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya.. hey to make the UV mapping quicker i noticed a lil cheat way to do it.. instead of uv mapping the model in 3dsmax use UV mapper program.. you can find it on google. YES PPL i know UV mapper blows but let me finish here...

this actually cuts the time of UV mapping anyway use like anim8tor or crossroads or something to convert the model to obj then run UV mapper and set a new UV map to planar. Now if your model was facing you in the front view port in 3dsmax then it should be 2 halves of your model front and back... now save the file and then reconvert it back to 3ds and then import it back into 3dsmax.. now just goto edit mesh and select all faces and hit UVW unwrap... now you should see the UV map you had in uv mapper... now instead of taking all that time selecting faces for UV mapping you can just move the wire frames around how you want it and save. Then if you get UTskinmaker you can compile that model and it will generate a bmp with the wire frame on it for you..that you can draw or paint your skin onto..also you can see your progress in UTskinmaker as you skin it.

if god = infinity and infinity = 0 then god = 0

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:46:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:46:54