Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / FPRTS Tell me what you think

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 20:19
I'm making a FPRTS(First Person Real Time Strategy) and I want to know what you think about it. I think you don't know what i'm talking about so i will tell what the game will be about. You are one man in the game, as in a First Person Shooter and you look from his eyes. You can shoot at enemies and get help from friends. So far no difference from a FPS. But in this game you have a base and in that base are builders, repairers, tank drivers, pilots and more. You are the boss and give orders to that people. To build a barrack for example. Than you can go to the barrack and build a soldier. Than you can command the soldier to go to the enemy. This makes the RTS-Genre more realistic. You have to be everywhere. Also when you want to see the radar, you have to go to the radar building. The game is in the modern age, arround 2010. What do you think about it?
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 20:48
Sounds good - however going to a barracks each time could be slightly repetetive - maybe just a radio system could work - you can "remotely" create units?

Merry Christmas to all Apollo members!
Visit [url]www.lightning-systems.co.uk[/url] :: [url]www.realgametools.net/forums[/url]
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 20:52
Thank you that's a very good idea. I think you can upgrade to have a kind of radio system.
And there will also be a campaign, i will tell something about that later.

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2003 22:12
It sounds very difficult to play, having a very small field of view would make it very difficult to find incoming enemies unless you stay in the radar station all the time, how would you control all the units? What happens if one gets lost will it just sit around to the end of the mission?

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram, winxp
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 01:46
*very* difficult to play, especially if you have to worry about dying and commanding armies at the same time. And when your kind is as expendable as a a guy built in a barracks, it may lose some play value
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 02:34
You yourself are the general in your base. But you can also build some second officers. Than you can give them the command to give orders to other people. So you don't have to give all the orders yourself. I hope you understand what I mean.
And now I will explain the campaign. In the campaign you have many missions. In the first mission you are only a simple soldier and you can't give orders and you can't go in a tank or plane. When you progress in the missions you can later build units at the barracks and tanks at another building. More later you can even build buildings. In skirmish you are already a general.
And I've tought about the radarproblem. I'm going to make that you can also buy a portable radar.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
also have people like scouts that can radio back information etc

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 16:36
i think creating ppl wont be like real life...

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 16:50
lol at Petrat First time some1 tried to explain creating people in Age of Empires to me I was like "What?" It was just so foreign and funny to me

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 16:58
Petrat, you're right, but how would you 'make' soldiers in a game. If you wanted to make a RTS type of game and you can create an army in that game?

Current project: Earth Chaos, a FPRTS
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 17:04
but how would you 'make' soldiers in a game

Easy, fly in some reinforcments. Or make a cloning factory. Or you could point out its just a game and doesnt need to make sense

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 17:11
cloning...So u would wait about 30 years for a war? i just dont think its very realistic for that..flyin ppl in though - on the other hand - is a good idea

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Blazer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 19:45
you could say that the troops sit in the barracks like a bunch of ninnys and wait untill you equip them....... just a thought
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 20:04
When you think about it, they don't necessarily need to be humans they could just be robots that you construct, or weird aliens that grow really quickly. That makes me wish there was an Aliens RTS

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 20:42
Thanks for the ideas, I like the idea of flying the people in. I think I'll use that in my game.
And haggisman, thanks for the idea, but I prefer humans because I want to make a modern war game, not a sci-fi game. And there already is an alien RTS(starcraft).

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 20:59
oops i meant an RTS based on the Aliens movie

MaTaZi
Years of Service
User Offline
RTS, why not have it based a bit differently?

Why not make it an MMORTSFPS (Massvively Multiplayer Online Realtime Stratagy and First Person Shooter), and then have one set of players the "Field Commanders" and the others the "Generals" now the "Generals" have the RTS end of it, building, commanding and managing the resources, and the "Field Commanders" Can have the FPS version of it, and can request units, whereas the "Generals" can send the units...making it very interesting...the term "Fragging" from vietnam can come into play in a whole new way...

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 18:28
That's a very good idea, but I'm not very good at Multiplayer commands, so I'll try. A very good idea, though.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
you could like vist villages and rally people to your cause to join you and fight along side you to.

Gu re gu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 12:02
Or maybe recruits could walk out of the cammand / main building like in stronghold and you can train these people in the barracks / other places.

Daih Thel phae 'e, clann 'e phaen
ionicboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2003 17:19
if you want to make it as a single player game, it think it would be easier, both to design and play, if you make it with a medieval/roman/barbarian ambientation, it would be just like in movies, when you see the general fighting as another soldier and giving orders at the same time (thinking of Gladiator or braveheart).

In actual wars, the men with the control aren´t at the battlefield, because control tasks take all their atention, making this as a FPS you will only have a strange system of changing between menus, as long as you will never go into battle to take care of the whole action and you will be only moving between the different buildings or menus in you remote-control managing system.

What i say is to rip all the tasks that are not directly related to the action-point-of-view, as resource gathering, unit training,... Just imagine you are Aragorn at the top of the walls of helm deep and you have to command the troops, you just don´t have time to care about the haversts of Rohan.
Similar things have been done, but at a smaller scale, for example, in Swat3 or rainbowsix, you are another soldier, but you can give orders such as "follow me", "hold fire", etc
With your intention to make it on a larger scale i think it would fit better with large armies of knights, archers, that you command with quick orders given to squadron leaders.

Managing tasks could be also be very interesting and well integrated if played between the battles, this could make the game deeper and more playable at a time.

Well, this is just my idea, hope it give some good idea to you.

---------------------------------------
Ionicboy
http://www.ilogicgames.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2003 11:59
you know i only scanned this so don't look too deep into my comments,

but the best 1st Person RTS (and i think only) is Dungeon Keeper ... which allows you to switch between god veiw and minion veiw
Alot of fun even now, however i kinda liked the idea of MMOFPSRTS (thats a mouthful thank god it isn't a REAL genre yet)

basically probably to the same effect as Natural Selection for Half-Life ... you have one commander and all the rest follow his orders

The command can like go in and out at will so he can always have a battle overveiw - be cool if it was a medievil game like that.

Grab ya steed and Charge when ya see the white of thier eyes

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 14:09
Thank you for your good ideas. I'm going to completely restyle my program. Ionicboy, that's a very good idea. It will make the game more exiting. I will make it in the time of the Roman empire. I'm going to make my game like this.

You have a base, in that base you have a isometric view, than you can build buildings, train soldiers and gather resources. If you've trained the soldiers you can assign them to you(the general). Than you can move the soldiers out. Than your view changes. It moves into a First Person view. So if you're building, training or gathering resources you have a isometric view. And when you're walking with your soldiers you've a First Person View. Than you are the General and walk with your soldiers. What do you think of this idea(thanks Raven and Ionicboy)?

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 14:44
Sounds like a great idea, as long as commanding the troops is still easy. Like looking at enemies in the distance and pressing a key causes the troops to attack them.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2003 16:29
sounds good ... just wonder how long its gonna take until we can see something basic (^_^)

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 01:22
A First Person Real Time Stratgy game set in to Roman/Greek era? I think you should have stuck with the modern warfare. I mean first person hand-to-hand battles? I know Square did it with Bushido Blade 1 & 2, but it wasn't that good.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 12:59
Yeah but thats cause most companies don't know howto do it... if he sticks to an Oni style control system for combat it could be quite and interesting and enjoyable title

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 14:50
At first I also did like to make a modern warfare game, but now i like this idea more.

sounds good ... just wonder how long its gonna take until we can see something basic (^_^) This don't have to take too long. The editor for my game was already ready, so I 'only' have to remake the units and buildings. Than I can start making the game! But I'm now focussing on my game for the retro competition, so I think you're right.

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 14:53
I think I will make a story now between the Greek, Roman and Barbarians.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 18:45
aww no vikings (j|k)

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2003 21:30
Good idea, more people means more fun. Maybe you know in which time there where Vikings. And was there a time when there were Greek, Romans AND Vikings?

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 02:51
I hated the contorls for Oni, Duex EX aswell. Alas, Turok has spoided me.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 11:27
spoided? WTF? Turok has got strange controls on the N64, yes..

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2003 16:09
If you can master the Turok style controls, you dominate console FPS, you can aim for the headshot without stoping to manuelly aim. It's far better than the standard 'press up to move forward' controls. If you're gonna have enemies above and below you, you can't reliy on auto-aim.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2003 23:36
but spoided though? come on...

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 07:13
Petrat, play Turok and get the control down, just try it. In many games now the action isn't just left or right. You need to be abill to look a aroung quickly. Now lets try to get back on topic.

DaZCWA
Years of Service
User Offline
Kewl ideas every1 here is a few of my own (mostly adaptions)
When scouts relay information it will add enemy locations to the map OR you could give the map a fog of war so when a scout has gone throught that bit of teriotry it removes it. I love the subcommander system that sounds kewl itd be kewl if they took command automaticly and you could promote unite to your division who you could call the elite devision or summit.
You difinatly need some wheels, possible the ability to design your own veichle like in ummm I cant rember what its called but you research technology then with what you have researched you can mix and mach a create new units WHICH IN YOUR GAME you should be able to get into and control (THAT WOULD RULE)

DaZ

"There is only 2 ways off this island: The first is in little pieces and the seconds with me" - (Hunter/DaZ)
DaZCWA
Years of Service
User Offline
oooooooo it would take alot of time and effort but it would be even kewler if you could do a kind of civ series thing where as you research more technology the more advansed your civ gets so the better your wepons, veichles, armour, buildings, units get THAT TOO WOULD RULE

DaZ

"There is only 2 ways off this island: The first is in little pieces and the seconds with me" - (Hunter/DaZ)
Killer Sponge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 14:33
Instead of having to be the general, how about instead, you have you isometric view to build things and so on, but (like dungeon keeper) take control of units (this bieng where 3d person comes into play, thus meaning you can jump right into the center of a battle.

Huh? just an idea.

cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 20:32
That's also a very good idea. When I play an RTS I always think things like "How would it be to look trough the eyes of that soldier". So I can combine the ideas. You can choose to control any soldier you like. If you choose to control an officer you can give orders to the 'lower' soldiers.

smurfpuss
Years of Service
User Offline
well like woulde 2010 be like in a real high tech adge like flying tank units and human units havin big armor suits and stuff and wierd buildings and stuff and were woulde you get the founds or kredits to build your units in what way

DELL 2.53GHz 512mb ram 120G Harddrive Geforce4 ti4600 DVD-R/W+CD-R/W
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2003 23:50
ive played Turok thank you very much.

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2003 03:29
well i still say i'm not a great fan of Turok ... but i'm not a great fan of FPS on the consoles - aside from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark i've not found an fps which is much fun.

I guess MoH on the Playstation was cool when you used both 3D Sticks but was awkard at times, but then again so it Turok - however i feel thats more a result of 10years of playin FPS with a mouse in my right-hand.
i'm getting pretty good at it now, but still think FPS + Console = Evil

if you wannt get the true feel of Oni play it on the PC, because the PS2 version was so bad it made me cry
then my computer cryed
them my modem laughed at me, communication hardware can be so cruel

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2003 20:25
Tis the problem between you and I, Raven. I've grown up on consoles, I only resenctly got my com, about half a year ago. I can't get used to the mouse in FPS (but to be fair I've only played one, and that was at a Office Depo). Have you trying Time Splitters 2? That one is good, parts make me beg for the mouse, lol.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 00:50
i think i've played it... but with a Namco G-Con
i can't stand those kinda games without a gun, thought i might be thinking of something else

FPS are outstanding with a mouse, its so much easier to look about and do precision its not even funny - you really need to download something like Quake2/Quake3 demo's and you can get the full feel of what an FPS should be like

i'd also grab the Oni demo (or full game for liek $10 at EB) for the PC cause you can't beat that kinda control, the only thing that would've made Oni better would be that 3D movement mouse that recently came out, being able to look around by waving your hand with a joypad in the other, definatly be awsome

Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2003 22:22
Yeah, I think you're thinking of Time Criss.

Glennyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 13:23
This idea sounds practically identical to Battlezone (the Activision update). Which is an ace game. So go for it!

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 14:05
I'm a bit late to this thread, but you might want to check out my 'Gettin Shot Up' game. It's a first person shooter with tactical and strategic elements.

On the surface it's a bit like any other FPS except the enemy don't come thick and fast, but by using the team selection and issue order keys it becomes a very strategic game.

Also the tactical AI is viscious, those guys not only fight with the same rules and limitations as the player, but they are 'king good at it!

Maybe it will help with some ideas. It's quite old now so the graphics are a bit dated but it's still up for download at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~thane/banshee

Good Luck!

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
cusoi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2003 22:42
Thank you very very much. After I've finished my game for the retro competition, I will go on with my project!

Current project: Packageman, a remake of pacman.
WarWolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2003 13:09
Raven:
Alot of fun even now, however i kinda liked the idea of MMOFPSRTS (thats a mouthful thank god it isn't a REAL genre yet)

There is a game called Breed that is kinda like an MMOFPSRTS...

I didn't steal it!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:20:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:20:34