Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC-has its own scripting lanquage???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, It says you can edit the code....so i just thought that it might. don't quote me, but it says taht you can edit script at its site....

Ummm....is db good....
Ilya
Years of Service
User Offline
It generates the codes for your game and you can edit them.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:19
It won't generate code for your whole game, more like code to load and play a level without enemies.

I can imagine FPSC using a command system, like a mini-script system where you can affect what happens to properties when actions are taken on them. For example, a plain of glass might have a command string to tell the engine that it's an object that emits a sound, starts a particle effect, and disables itself. It's a neat system that really opens up possibilities for after-relase modifications. I have no idea what's in FPSC though, that's just how I'd tackle it.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:25
Yes it has its own scripting language (and no Ilya, it does not export DBPro code).

Scripts control, well, everything really. Every single entity can have one or more scripts applied to it. For example a door - if the door needs a key to open it, then a script would control that. Infact heck, here you go - for the first time ever I'll actually show you a script. They're just simple text files that sit in the scriptbank directory, so you can create your own, modify existing ones, etc.

It won't all make sense to you, but if you read through it you can get a general idea what is happening.

Scripts control EVERYTHING though - from the loading page of your game, to the level set-ups, to the HUD placement, enemy movement, etc etc.

It's probably time to open an FPSC forum soon I think.

Cheers,

Rich

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:29
Here's another more complex script, it would be applied to an enemy that is on patrol. It tells them to scan for a target and if found, shout at the target (they shout "Hey! you're not supposed to be in here!"), then run after you, strafe, shoot, reload if required and retreat if hurt.

Please understand that scripts are totally optional - i.e. you can modify lots of these parameters from within the the FPSC GUI itself. So you won't ever need to actually understand what is in the script if you don't want to. But for those that do... well, lots of possibilities here.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:46
Cool - that was the biggest critique with T3DGM, you could'nt actually do that much game specific stuff on it. Looks like people will be able to code their own enemy reactions, like making medic's or maybe even animals. It'll no doubt take a bit of effort to learn how everything works with the scripts, but I reckon the results will be worth it.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 21:52
Van - you can code ANYTHING to have a re-action! You could have a coke can sitting on a table that explodes if the player goes too close to it while holding a banana.

Erm.. just an example

- Oscar Wilde
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 22:09
And when can we expect to see this coke-can-infuriated-by-banana video?

For some reason I had it in my mind that FPSC was more for Quake deathmatch style games, but if you can script it all yourself then the world is your proverbial lobster .

All this talk reminds me of that Freescape thing, 3D Construction Kit, it was pretty cool on the ST - it let you make those 3D world games like Driller, it had a great script language with it.

Van-B

Muhahahahaha.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 22:23
Can you take control of the camera via script? While I know the name of the systems is FPSC, it would be neat to zoom out for stealth sequences or at the end of the mission. [Would really like 3PSC, but is quite happy to fake it, if the engine allows for it.]
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 23:39
Van - Rick is preparing the video today, so I'm pretty sure we'll have it in the newsletter. Even if we don't, there is lots of news this month anyway.

zircher - I don't know, I'll check with Lee for you. Do bear in mind that we called it FPS Creator for a reason - you are NOT going to be able to knock out Tomb Raider / MGS style games from it.

- Oscar Wilde
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2004 23:56
Thanks, even if I can not play in 3rd person mode, the ability to control the camera would be handy for intros and cut scenes. It would also be mighty fine for machinima. [Movie making via game engines.]
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
yaaaa! Thanks for the response. Amazing.....wow Richard that is going to be the REAL ultimate game creator.

Ummm....is db good....
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 02:14
Wow, that looks great!

Rich, I have a question about the enemy AI. Would you be able to completely script your own AI steps? I see you've put in your examples for the enemy to shoot if needed, reload if needed, strafe etc. But could an author make his enemy, say, fly straight up in the air and shoot at you at exact 3 second intervals? (odd example I know).

Thanks

--[Gang Wars of New Canada]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 02:39
Sounds good

:: Current Project: C&C Style RTS :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 02:42
i think it is time to open one

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS INFECTION
NEW WEBSITE ONLINE
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 02:56
yea thats a good idea jeku, say if someone wanted to make a doom clone how could they do the cacodeamons :p

either way, it looks good, is there any sort of a release date planned?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 04:01
That looks very cool. Funny thing is, in the chat with Mike when I asked him a few questions like these he seemed to think a lot of stuff like destructable objects wouldn't be possible-- it's great to see things have improved script-wise since then, this looks like it'll offer a load of possibilites ... miles ahead of T3DGM to say the very least.

Oh yeah, and Rich, you're two days late for news on the button compo, I'm chewing my nails off here

"I don't think anybody likes you..."
"I like me..."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 09:53 Edited at: 16th Oct 2004 09:54
Mike is right to a certain degree - there are several things we won't have in the EA release (early adopter), but the scripting nature of the program means they'll find their way into the upgrades very quickly. You can definitely do destructable objects though (just not destructable buildings, ala Red Faction).

- Oscar Wilde
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 11:18
Sounds good . My favorite FPSs ever don't have any 'super tech' (CSG, no load times...) in them-- Unreal (Tournament) and Halo...

Looking forward to the next newsletter more than ever now...

"I like me..."
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
chugagagagaag....hurry with that newsletter!!

Ummm....is db good....
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 12:48
super tech doesnt make an FPS. It just makes an FPS looks nice.

The 3d chat is coming...
In the meantime, come in the IRC. Ask me for details!!.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 12:53
The video is finished! It will definitely appear in the newsletter now It's really quite good, 7 mins long - a full show of how to build a level in FPSC and play it.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
yaaaaaa!

Ummm....is db good....
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 14:22
Sounds very nice... could you point us to the codec in advance ?

"I like me..."
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 14:33
Quote: "The video is finished! It will definitely appear in the newsletter now It's really quite good, 7 mins long - a full show of how to build a level in FPSC and play it."

Awesome! I have a feeling this video will really help TGC sell FPSC!

--[Gang Wars of New Canada]-- ^^^ banner generously designed by TheBigBabou
IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 18:40
when is the newsletter coming out

Used to be Phoenix_insane registered in september 2003 despite what the date says to the left <--
PC - amd athlon 2ghz, 512mb, geforce fx5200 128mb, 200gb, xp pro sp2
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 19:33
20-something of the month. Usual comes out on a Monday, later in the month, so I'm gonna guess the 26th

Current Project: Cube3 Arena (TGC Compo Entry)
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 19:36
Quote: "The video is finished! It will definitely appear in the newsletter now It's really quite good, 7 mins long - a full show of how to build a level in FPSC and play it."

Does it have Lee doing voiceover? I remember the 7clicks video - I still lie awake at night with that voice in my head!

"Today I will show you how to make a game in just 7 clicks. This is nothing new..."

Get 15 new commands, all the date / time commands left out of DBPro for free!
DOWNLOAD PLUGINS HERE: http://www.davidtattersall.me.uk/ and select "DarkBasic"
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
yah.....creepy But LEE IS DA BOMB!!!! Go lee! Go lee! Make them apps asp!(as in quick not ASP) Is there a picture of lee? I want to hang it up....and say beneath it "My hero"

Ummm....is db good....
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 19:50 Edited at: 16th Oct 2004 20:10
@Jeku looking at that script and making a few trivial assumptions it looks like you could script something to move up and fire at regular intervals easily enough, now TGM will have to make a "advanced FPSC user manual" for me as well, we want to know all about these instructions and the lowest level they go to etc, can we manhandle particles?, script responses? etc.

<chants>

forum! forum! forum!

<shuts up>

(you guys do realise the instant you open a forum your brains are gonna be picked clean by a trillion posts?), might I suggest a pre-emptive measure?, put up the FPSC manual as a download (it must be already written in word or Adobe or something for the typesetters, just zip it!) then us manic nerd types can rip through that and leave you alone for a while

Mentor.

PC1: P4 3ghz, 1gig mem, 3x160gig hd`s, Radeon 9800pro w cooler (3rd gfx card), 6 way speakers.
PC2: AMD 2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra, 16 bit SB.
Mini ATX cases suck.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2004 23:48
...manhandle particles? I don't think I'm going to trust you with my physics system any more

"I like me..."
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 01:18
Rich, will it be possible to make NPCs co-operate with each other to attack you?

In addition, how difficult would it be to make NPCs find cover or look for a health powerup?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 01:43
Based on the early newsletters, they should be able to look for things at least... and they also mention NPCs dodging for cover. I'm dying to know how much of this is hard-coded into their AI and how much of it is scripted, however!

"I like me..."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 02:14
Quote: "In addition, how difficult would it be to make NPCs find cover or look for a health powerup?"

Enemies, when scripted, have an instinctive "defensive" mechanism, meaning yes they know when to run. They can scan for objects, not just you, so you could make them scan for health if you want.

Quote: "I'm dying to know how much of this is hard-coded into their AI and how much of it is scripted, however!"

There's no such thing as "hard-coded" in FPSC. Everything, and I mean every single thing is run from a script. Even the loading of the title page!

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 02:40
Sounds good then--

That also bodes well for anyone making a scripting language in DBP !

"I like me..."
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 02:43
yes, its good news for people working in big projects, especially those that would benefit from scripting systems, since this will be great proof that DBP isnt lacking in the technology required to make the bigger projects work!.

The 3d chat is coming...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 04:47
Yes... technology and speed are constantly in question. One is now out at least. I'll be interested in seeing how well FPSC runs on my very low-end system (I hope it doesn't require those pixel shaders )...

"I like me..."
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 04:53
Quote: "Enemies, when scripted, have an instinctive "defensive" mechanism, meaning yes they know when to run. They can scan for objects, not just you, so you could make them scan for health if you want."

I wonder, how do they 'scan' for objects and players?

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 05:01
I think DBP contains functionality for checking whether pixel shaders and or vertex shaders are available on the system. This means that they could be featured, but are probably not required.

The 3d chat is coming...
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 05:47
Quote: "I wonder, how do they 'scan' for objects and players?"

FPSC must maintain a list of all entities in the level, and as long as it knows their position then presumably it could use a simple 3D distance or A*-type algorithm to determine the distance to that entity. When it finds the closest one then FPSC would just need to run code that tells entity X to move towards entity Y whilst playing a particular animation.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 06:48
That's not what I want to hear Rob .

Tell me there is AI that starts turning his head to spot a medkit, or remebers that he saw a few while he was bussy mowing you down.

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 06:52
hmm interesting, at the convention im sure Lee is going to cringe at all these questions.

The 3d chat is coming...
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:11
Lee's mentioned bread crumb systems and path grids for the AI. Most FPS AI doesn't have to learn where powerups are, it knows automatically; seeing as the player will, too, after his first few maps, I find that kind of 'cheating' to be only fair and reasonable . Using special flagged path grid nodes would probably work best for power-ups.

"I like me..."
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:18 Edited at: 17th Oct 2004 07:18
Creating AI that doesn't cheat would actually be a lot more difficult. Plus it would not have the kind of inituition that a human player has.

A human player knows that a distant store cupboard with shelves in is likely to contain ammo or health, while a texture with a red "plus" symbol on it is likely to indicate health. Making the AI realistically respond to these kind of things would be difficult.

Restrained cheating as I suggested earlier is by far the easiest method. Rich's script implied that the AI always KNOWS where the player is, but pretends not to unless the player is actually within view of the AI.

Of course, I could be completely wrong - I shall find out next weekend

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:22
Thats what i would guess. You dont program a computer to win, you program it to lose, by restricting its abilities. It is actually possible for an NPC to dodge every shot and never miss and impossible to beat (Psycho mantis in MGS1 was an example of this). So you have to make it from impossible, to difficult.

The 3d chat is coming...
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:26
Quote: "Psycho mantis in MGS1 was an example of this"

i did it...

Quote: "You dont program a computer to win, you program it to lose, by restricting its abilities."

Err u make it impossible to beat, then restrict it for each difficulty, for example certain Linux games are hard to beat on the first difficulty because the programming is so good

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:51
Quote: "i did it..."

did what?

The 3d chat is coming...
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 07:52
killed him, took me three times

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 08:56
I see, i thought it was impossible if you didnt change the joypad over.

The 3d chat is coming...
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 08:59
err no i did it...which difficulty?

[center]:: Life is a box-plot :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:50:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:50:58