Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC-has its own scripting lanquage???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
May a mod kindly please lock this thread if *people don't get back to subject.
*=N30F15H and Mnemonix

Ummm....is db good....
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 09:16
my two cents...

I'm wondering, concidering the FPSC is compleatly scriptbased, if you could give us some insight into making script based engins in DBPro, especialy for those of us that are, umm... prone to making large, extravagant games...

CPU

Sparring - Loved by many, Pefected by few.

"I'm going to live forever, or DIE IN THE ATTEMPT!!!"
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 19:04
Quote: "*people don't get back to subject.
*=N30F15H and Mnemonix"

arg

Anywho, I am interested in the script based side of it because I could use it to my advantage

[center]:: Life is a box-plot :: Want Gmail? Email me ::
[center]
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 21:03
wow this sounds soooo exciting!!!

Whata botu the physics side of it? ive been enthralled like most by the half-life 2 video(you know, the BIG one) and i want to make a game like that...can FPSC do that?

Aust. Convention...get there!! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38799&b=2&p=1
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 21:05
From what I've read I understand it to be a script orientated OO engine like the UT one, so yes would be the answer. But I'm not sure.

[center]
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 21:26
Physics, to the quality of HL2, will NOT be present in the first release, sorry. We are in the final stages of signing a contract for a major physics engine for the 1.5 release of FPSC, but more about that when it's available and not before (so don't ask any questions, we're not legally allowed to answer them yet).

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 21:44
How much is it likely to cost to upgrade from FPSC 1.0 to FPSC 1.5?

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 22:31
Quote: "You dont program a computer to win, you program it to lose, by restricting its abilities."

I disagree, you program it so it looks like your playing against other humans, like that's why multiplayer games never get bored, and you're not doing that by restricting it's abilities.

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 23:03
Mussi, "programming it to lose" is one way of making the AI appear lifelike.

This is why bots in multiplayer games have scalable difficulty. If the programmer chooses, they can have perfect aim, instantly know where all the powerups are, and also go for opponents with the lowest health. In order to tone down the AI's abilities, a random offset can be added when the AI fires (so that it misses sometimes), it can ignore health powerups until it is really low on health, or not go for a powerup unless it is in the same room.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 23:23 Edited at: 17th Oct 2004 23:25
@Rob, Evolving AI design should clear that out

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2004 23:38
I think eventually AI will be able to do its thinking in a more human like way, scanning for objects or remembering what it saw whilst it was battling you, as you suggested.

Some cutting edge games such as Half Life 2 or UT2004 may already do this, but as this is Lee's first adventure into the world of AI I'm guessing he will choose the simpler root.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 00:41
Quote: " How much is it likely to cost to upgrade from FPSC 1.0 to FPSC 1.5?"

Undecided, I'm not aware of any decision to charge anything at this moment in time, which doesn't mean it won't happen.

All of the AI features are scripted, if you don't like the way an enemy attacks, you change the script. Lee has worked very hard to ensure that nothing is hard-coded into FPSC, for his sanity as well as everyone elses.

Cheers,

Rich

- Oscar Wilde
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2004 01:01
Good to hear that

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 10:49
good

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS INFECTION
NEW WEBSITE ONLINE
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
cool.
Do you think it will be able to support industro-exes?

Ummm....is db good....
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 20:06
WTF are "industro-exes" ?

Sounds like a type of muscle builder.

- Oscar Wilde
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 21:46
yeah, I was wondering about that too...

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2004 22:42
sounds good

i'm glad you haven't hard coded anything that will make my life easier

and same as zircher...i want to know if we'll be able to control the camera for cutscenes...

"We make the worst games in the universe."

Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 03:34
I wonder if its possible to change the FPS to RTS ...or not

[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 03:42
What I'd like to know is to what extent can stuff be scripted. Looking at the example posted, it looks like you can control existing entities, and combine them to create new features. But will you actually be able to create entirely new entities, for example like turrets (don't know what is included at the moment, so just presume nothing like this exists at the moment ). Would you be able to load the turret parts as objects, then if a character goes near it, gets locked to it and using new controls, can turn the turret objects, and fire bullets from the barrel of the turret when the mouse button is pressed.

That's kind of an extreme example I think, and I'm not expecting to be able to do it, but how far does the scripting system go in terms of flexability?

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 04:49
Quote: "I wonder if its possible to change the FPS to RTS"

No, we called it FPS Creator for a reason!

- Oscar Wilde
Neofish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 04:55
twas a joke

[center]
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 05:08
Uh Rich. Any answer to me question? Just watched the video, some nice stuff going on there, I'm really surprised at how easy it is to make a level :S!

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 08:24
same here

ALPHA ZERO PRODUCTIONS INFECTION
NEW WEBSITE ONLINE
Mx5 kris
Years of Service
User Offline
um..industro-exes are super-small exes. I Heard about them on the news. They compress 30 mb files (example) to 5mb, without making you unzip it and stuff. Might have been wrong....

Ummm....is db good....
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 09:00
Hamish - I can't answer your post, I would suggest you make a new thread for it, because I'm going to ask Lee and Mike to come in here and answer a few questions when they've got time.

- Oscar Wilde
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2004 16:44
Ok, sure thing. Sounds good .

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 01:49
regarding scripting for enemies and detecting player movement, how far does it actually encompass?? for example rather than just see the player and react by shooting, strafing etc. is there ways that the enemy AI can react to lets say noise? or small movement based on distance and rather than out right acting hostile, go on cautious alert? e.g. you make a movement on certain material,e.g. metal grate, concrete, and move at a certain speed and create noise, the enemy reacts to this by going no cautious alert,and then goes in to investigate the noise, "huh??who's there?" goes on alert with his weapon drawn, as he investigates and if you are quiet enough and not visible, the enemy will quit his search and go back to his post area, and go on guard or relaxed guard. or rather than that, he sees you or hears you, and acts accordingly by taking up arms, shoot at you, and gain cover within the environment and attacks you or retreats if things get to hairy for him/her. THis is just something I was wondering if it encompasses that much detail or not. If not i think it would be cool if we could script like that or at least have tha ability to do so. what do you think??
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 06:01
From what I saw on Saturday, I think that the answer to all of that is pretty much a qualified 'yes'.

The default scripts won't do all of that, but you could always write your own, and pretty much everything you ask about, I can see some way to do.

The only capability that I didn't see was a weapon-draw.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 07:07
The AI definately can react to sound. At the convention Lee demonstrated the fact that virtually everything in the game has a "noise" factor. The amount of noise that the AI hears depends on the noise and how far away it is from the source. If the noise heard by the AI goes above a certain threshold then it can be told to come and investigate.

At the moment there aren't any "built in" FPI commands to make the enemy seek for cover, but you can tell how much damage the enemy has taken, and if that reaches a certain threshold then it could be told to go and move to a waypoint (IIRC).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:23:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:23:09