Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / For the Hardcore game fans :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 06:15
Hey every1! You've probably noticed that I'm baaaack!!!! Hope you all had a gr8 Christmas and New Year

Ooook people, heres a big pic of lots of consoles - can you name any of them? Many are very rare, and the ones that appear to be obvious aren't

If you can name them all, can any1 guess the connection between all of them?

If any1 knows ALL the answers don't post straight away I'd like to see people have a go before I enlighten people

PS If any1 owns some or all of these consoles I would love to discuss further. I soooooo wanna get my hands on some of these beauties
* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 06:24
PPS Your first hints:

Number four is NOT a Nintendo 64, or Ultra 64!
Numbers six and eight are NOT Sony Consoles!

Confused yet? Some were US exclusive, some Asian/Eastern

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 11:34
i know none of em O_O...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 14:04
I'd have to look up the names cause ALOT of them i've not seen in god knows how many years

what they've got in common though is that they're all knock off versions. (^_^)
probably wouldn't be hard to grab most of these in japan still ... well with the exception of 2,11 & 12
i'll wait for you to post up the names rather than try to find them again

i think they're mostly by the same company too, but buggered if i can remember the name hehee

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 14:55
The image doesn't work =(

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 17:05
Sorry DG its working for me (?) It is quite large tho so it may take some time on a standard connection. Try going to the weblink instead
http://www.myminehead.com/consoles.jpg

Glad to see I have some people stumped

Vegeta you are close but no cigar

YES Many are unnofficial Asian machines compatible with other system's software, but not all of them. The actual connection is much more obscure, weird, and in my opinion cool (In a geeky kinda way )

Number 1 is (or was) an official Nintendo of America console on general release in the US, around 1990.
Number 2 was again an official store release in the US, through Camerica, around '92.
Number 4 Doesn't play N64 cartridges.
Numbers 6 & 8 Don't play PS1 Games.
Number 11 Doesn't Play Genesis/Megadrive Games.
Number 12 Never reached stores but was an official product released at many trade shows

Sooo there's some more semi-hints... any more tries? Hope DG can see the image and take a guess too

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 17:54
Oh man, I'd love to have them all . Hmmmmm, number 6 does not play PS games O_O now that's witch... lol

--Ryu :-]
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 18:09
These consoles are all old Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom duplicates ?

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 18:21
It could be... I remember when I had a Micro Genesis which was actually a smaller version of the Nintendo 8 bits and there were many like that... Phantom System for exemple also could play Nes games

--Ryu :-]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 18:23
lmao... i would hazzard a guess at most of them, but i'd be wrong about a good few.
i'll sit here and try my hardest to remember them all - but as most are a good 5-6years old ... some ALOT more hehee might take a whilst for my rustic memory
determined not to cheat and look it all up

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 20:09
Kang:
The image loads now =)

I haven't seen any of those before so I can't even take a guess, sorry. However I have seen 2 consoles that you don't have there. One of them is really old and have 6 versions of pong =)

[b]Digital Awakening
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2003 22:46
Ryu/Vegaeta/DG Thanks 4 trying an not just cheating but WELL dones to Hubdule u r 90% right they are believe it or not all based around Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom technologies, playing 60 & 72 pin 8-bit carts. I will post the true answer with nasic history later tonight when I have more time

DG I too have at least details of loads of weird old consoles, but only these ones are ones I know of based around NES technology.

Number 1 is actually a redesigned NES released by NOA so that the old boxy model wouldn't look toooooo old hat when compared to their new 16-bit SNES Kinda like the Master System 2 (and 3) but no-where near as successful The pad even looks like a snes one, obviously with 4 buttrons missing...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 01:14
I have personally played on the 2 I mentioned =) I'm no fan of weird old consoles, it was fun to see them though and I will read the info when you post it later. Nr1 looks worse then the original NES, exept for the pad.

Nr5 looks nice. Nice colors and more buttons then GB.

[b]Digital Awakening
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2003 07:42
o_O it looks like a gamegear or a nomad... or a neogeo pocket... (num 5)

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/3072kbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 02:38
most like a Nomad to look at, most like a GameGear in tech specs - the NGPC was darn cool such a shame it died.

Anyways guys sorry about the lack of a real answer yet - just found its hard to condense the info, I'm kinda typing and editing a flippin essay here L8r tonite I promise

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 07:25
yup yup yup O_O...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 09:36
OOOOk here goes

Number 1: This is an officially redesigned NES released by Nintendo of America around the time of the SNES' introduction into the market, presumably so the old boxy NES wouldn't look 'old hat'. Actually I think its kinda ugly, but the redesigned pad in much better. Note the fact that the cartridges are top-loading like in the SNES not in a tray like the old NES, however – note also the sad lack of an eject button. A friend of mine has one of these in his collection and says that the carts are hard to remove once inserted. Although this WAS released in the States, many shops didn't buy stock (including Toys R Us) because they still had old NES stock they were having trouble shifting. Select Funcolands still sell a few remaining new ones I believe.

Number 2: This is not so much a new console as an add-on for the NES by Camerica. They deduced that the reason cartridges were so expensive was because of the graphics ram chips and battery/flash saves in each one, which was identical every time, and actually unnecessary. Therefore this Add-on called the Aladdin was basically a ram chip – allowing physically smaller cartridges containing only ROMS to be produced, which were then sold for far cheaper – around $14 each. It was a great idea, but unfortunately came out a little late in the life of the NES to really make an impact. Only 6 games were commercially released for it, including Dizzy the Adventurer, Fantastic Dizzy, Linus Spacehead (Cosmic on other systems) Micro Machines, and Bignose the Caveman. 14 other games were developed but never released as Camerica went but and Codemasters pulled out of the States.

Number 3: This is an un-official games machine named RAMBO made at the release of SNES. It is quite clearly trying to look like a Japanese SNES (Super Famicom). However, actually it plays NES cartridges. The biggest giveaway that this is not 16-bit is probably the inclusion of a light-gun. No light guns were released until much further into the life of the SNES, but the Zapper gun for NES Duck Hunt was very popular at the time. However, the use of SNES style pads to play NES games is cool. I am not sure whether the additional 2 buttons on the pads are actually used, maybe as turbos, or maybe just repeats.

Number 4: Even cheekier, this beauty, labeled Nevica would have been sold in Asian markets as knocked off Nintendo 64s. I can remember the release of the N64 and there was mass hysteria. Just imagine a big Nintendo fan shelling out wads of cash for this and getting it home, only to find the game supplied contains NES roms he/she already owns! However, years down the line, from a collectors point of view, this is a cool novelty I would love to own. I don't know if it came with N64 styled NES controllers – that would be coool. If you look carefully at the front of the unit there are 4 NES style joypad inputs. Not many games supported 4 players, but a NES multitap WAS available, so maybe all four of these inputs would have been functional. Again, another good reason to own one.

Number 5: This is called the GameAxe Color, and is essentially a portable NES (similar in design both inside and out to Sega's Gamegear, essentially a portable MasterSystem), with a nice LCD screen, with a backlight that could be turned on and off! This is very cool in itself, so its a shame it is trying to pretend its a portable SNES – just look at the 16-bit mock screen shot, and 4 control buttons. This would be near the top of my wishlist, if it wasn't for number 15, but I'll get to that later.

Number 6: This looks VERY much like a PS1 but probably wouldn't have fooled many gamers as A: There was no logo in the center of the system, B: No new PS models came with non-analogue controllers, and C: No PS has ever been packaged with a light gun as far as I know, and if it was it would have been with a Namco G-con. However from a NES collectors point of view this is darned cool. The 'CD' tray opens with the eject button and a cartridge can be slotted into the top! Plus playing NES games with a PS controller must be a unique experience, if with a stupid amount of redundant buttons. This is actually called a Polystation III

Number 7: A while back there was a Rare but prized console called the Sega MultiMega. It was essentially a unit that played MegaCD and Megadrive games, and was also upgradable to play 32X carts. This system, named the S-500 looks like it was meant to be a fake one. It actually played NES games – are you starting to see a trend? Lol It occurs to me as strange that manufacturers of fake consoles after a quick buck would do just as well to sell empty cases, not ones that contain old hardware, but hey maybe it was a semi legal issue? It is worth noting that the prototype Multimega was also named Sega 500, so maybe the s-500 name would have fooled some people in the know.

Number 8: This WOULD be a more convincing Playstation, with a G-Con like gun were it not for the obvious joypad discrepancies – Its actually called a FunStation and weirdly comes in an N64 Box with a Playstation on the front! Again it actually plays NES games.

Number 9: Wow is it me or is this a really nicely designed cool bit of kit? Look at the gun! Its called a Kewterland Personal Education Computer. I would love to know if the Keyboard is functional, maybe as a basic word processor or whether it was just there to make this look like more of a bargain than it actually was Basically again this is a NES, the cartridge slots into the keyboard. I'd love to play Duck-hunt with that gun

Number 10: The Interstellar as it is called is just another NES clone – unremarkable till you notice that the joypad ports have actually been reshaped to long snes style ones! Weird, considering the Megadrive/Genesis II style Six button pad.

Number 11: This is obviously a black-market Megadrive/Genesis II rip-off, but again it plays NES games. The Name is damn strange tho, its called the Famicom Winner, (Famicom being the Asian name for NES) surely this made it an obvious forgery?

Number 12: Now this IS coooool. Its a dual machine, running a PC/DOS system with an 8086 or 80286 processor, which also played NES games. Kinda like the Amstrad Megadrive 386 PC of old. This made it to tradeshows but was never released to shops. Its beta name was DuoFC with the FC presumably standing either for Famicom, or Family Computer, which is where the name was derived from anyway.

Number 13: You'll notice that the base unit looks much like a NES, but this is actually top-loading! It has 4 button pads, but only the bottom 2 function. Its cutely known as a MES, Microgen Entertainmnet System.

Number 14: This UGLY console is called a MasterGameSystem and looks a little like an original Master System, painted white. Maybe this was a (reaaally old) Black market copy masquerading as a MS before they were actually released. In fact, it plays (altogether now!) NES games :p

Number 15: This cool bit of kit is called the TopGuy. Its it an ugly Mastersystem Style Box, with a frankly scary green character thingy, but its actually really sweet. Like number 5 its a portable NES with a switchable backlight (Nintendo STILL haven't added this to the GBA grr) with the weird novelty of a WIRELESS connection to a portable TV, so you can play on the move, or on the big screen. It also has a port in the back to plug in a second joypad, or potentially a light gun! The worlds first lightgame on a portable machine?

Number 16: Horrid looking machine but the Micro Genius IQ-901 (Many similar practically identical models were also released) is notable for one reason.The machine is actually contained in the joypad, which then plugs straight in2 the TV! Weird but kinda quality

Number 17: Finally, this is called a Mac-Go! and looks suspiciously like an early Apple Mac Keyboard. Were they trying to kid on this was a portable Mac that could plug straight into the TV? Either way this was actually a NES, and the keyboard was non functional, except for the arrow and Alt/Ctrl Keys for playing! Almost like playing through an Emulator on PC then

As you've gathered by now, the connection was they were all running on Nintendo's 8-bit Famicom/NES technologies. The Majority of the Unnofficial Asian consoles were made by a company called Supervision, who also made pirate NES cartridges. They made one which actually contained a massive ROM, with 350 full games on it! For anyone interested, this snippet contains the full 350 games

Any games there you haven't heard of are probably hacks - Luigi bros from example is just Mario Bros with different sprites.

The interesting thing about the Supervision company is that their products were always very high quality - properly boxed, good plastic, even manuals included! Eventually they actually released an official console, known as the SuperVision in the USA and released in the UK by QuikShot, the joystick guys. It was actually a really cool competitior for Nintendo's Gameboy, with a Big and clearer screen, more RAM, better sound and bigger buttons! I bought one of these in 1990 rather than a Gameboy, the selling point for me being that the games were only £9.99 and consisted of mostly cool puzzle games and 2d shooters. Unfortunately the console failed, after about 60 games released in th US, and 30 over here. There were 2 models, one that looked kinda like a GBP and one with a cool bendable middle portion to avoid screen glare and make table top gaming easier Below is a pic of this, and the 350 game cart.

Hope you've found this at least partially interesting! I love weird retro gaming stuff (if u can't tell lol )

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 16:09
Nice work Kang =)

Top Guy + 350 cart = sweet =)

[b]Digital Awakening
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 17:52
No C64 or C128's there. I am disappointed...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 18:40
I do had the experience of playing NES and all other consoles with a PSone joypad . There's an adptor made rockfire which allows u to connect a PSone pad in a computer via USB It's just THAT good to play old games with a new pad. Even forcefeedback is possible with a external energy source . I've seem now too some adaptor which allows not only PSone but N64 as well pads, just that cool if u play old Capcom /SNK with an PS Arcade Stick .
Does anyone know if there's somewhere a VideoGame Museum? Man, that would be lovely I love museums and planetariums... or maybe I just start to be old and miss those stuff . Oh well, great stuff Kangaroo2

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2003 22:31
Thanks DG

TAT Umm I said they were all included cos of the NES connection. If u want Commodores...

The first is a PET CBM, 8k machine, released in 1976 - first sensibly sized and price home computer, and also the first computer I ever used. I learnt Basic on this baby!

The second is a production model Commodore 65, the follow up to 64! This was scrapped at the last minute so they could put all their effort into the early Amiga technologies.

The Third is a Tiny PC style but weird shape tower with a CD-ROM and FDD called the Amiga Walker, designed by now (thankfully) bust PC manufacturers Escom.

TAT Happy now?

Thanks Ryu - Umm my house is kinda like a videogames museum lol Cool about the Pads I'd love 2 try that! By the way, great Signiture, where'd u find it lol

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 04:34
=P eh you like finding all these pics... (im trying to find my permit... gfd i lost it...)

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2003 18:29
hehe I don't go trawling for them, just randomly find stuff everynow and again and add them 2 my collection over a few year

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:59:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:59:08