Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / what about third person view and cast shadows?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 12:27
I'm very wondered and interested in fpsc! it will possible to create
games in third person perspective too? (like tomb raider or prince
of persia?) and in general, it will possible to customize the camera
set/properties ?
furthermore, it will possible to implement valid and well working
cast shadows?
bye
emanresu1963
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 13:34
Camera control, to a degree, yes - but you can't have a 3rd person camera. It's an FPS game, not a Tomb Raider creator - think of all the extra jumping, climbing, edging, etc that Lara does. That just ain't FPS.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 13:38
Mike mentioned Lee would be working on better shadowcasting for FPSC in one of the early chats, but I didn't see any in the demos despite the nice ppl. Any news on this ?

Preparing for a month of insanity, inspiration and insight... again!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2004 13:40
Sort of, Lee has been playing with a very cool shadow technique, but it requires a mothership of a video card to do it, I forget the technical term, but it's effectively hardware shadows.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 04:55
Quote: "Sort of, Lee has been playing with a very cool shadow technique, but it requires a mothership of a video card to do it, I forget the technical term, but it's effectively hardware shadows."

using shadow volumes?

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800+, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce4 Ti4400 128mb
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 05:57
Sounds good, that's really too bad about the hardware though. Can't help but mention that smooth, soft, realtime shadows do work on my TNT2 .

Not that it's a crucial graphical nicety, of course .

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 12:05
You're still using a TNT2?
Holy crap.
SoulMan

This is as backwards as is This
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 12:54
Apparently it went from 'hahah, that's antique man' to 'my god you must be joking' status somewhere in mid-late 2004 . I won't be sticking with this for long.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2004 23:32
Third person camera views are not supported.

Dynamic shadows using stencil volumes are supported - they can be turned on/off depending on the hardware. The convention version of FPSC had much better shadows than the SET SHADOW SHADING command supports but they are not finished yet.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 00:24
Mmm, sounds good .

SGT KOOLAID
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 01:57 Edited at: 25th Oct 2004 01:58
despite hardware shadows taking up a mothership of a vidcard. will soft, realtime shadows be made? what type of "features" will FPS have? specular bumpmapping? normalmapping? specular lighting? LOD systems?vertex & pixel shaders? just wondering if this program will have DX9 features in it and how much? or is it too early right now?
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2004 07:12 Edited at: 25th Oct 2004 07:13
FPSC doesn't really have "soft" shadows as such. Lee did some tests where he managed to produce this effect, but it is quite expensive to do, so it may or may not happen. Seeing as neither Doom 3 nor HL2 have proper soft shadows I think it would be a bit much to expect FPSC to have them.

FPSC supports FX shaders just like DBPro, so normal mapping & shaders are supported. For simplicity Lee / Mike will probably build shaders into the segments so that you just plonk down a wall and it automatically uses bump mapping. I believe the shaders are user-configurable though.

So yes, it does have DX9 features, but it is never going to look as good as big commercial projects which have had teams of 20+ developers working on them continuously for 2+ years.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:36:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:36:18