Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Problem with sharp edges

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2004 06:17
Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Is there some way to have these "edges" smoothed out in darkbasic?

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2004 09:16
Probably by configuring your video driver to use antialiasing. This will slow stuff down though.

Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2004 15:14
A couple wild guesses. Emphasis on "guess":

on the terrain: I get that result with the Terrain object if I don't watch the ratio between the scale of heigh vs. width (Like, the Y scale is a lot larger than the X and Z scales. My high points get "scrunched" together and form sharp ridges).

or, my heightmap has too sharp of a gradient between low and high (like, a white strip of image next to a black part).

On the hovercar: Also seen if I scale a loaded object but don't keep the scale values proportional.
BealziBob
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2004 18:46 Edited at: 28th Oct 2004 18:46
Just goes to show how we are hyper-crytical of our own work! the jaggies you are looking at are visible in any commercial game you might play. Even Doom 3 and HL2 Have jaggies. the only way to hide them is to switch your Graphic card settings to Antialaising mode. but as TKFISH points out this will slow your framerate down considerably. I wouldn't bother, most people don't even see them.

Go on, load up Doom 3 and look really hard at the edges of those beautiful models and you will find jaggies.

The reason they seem so noticable in your game, is that you have relativley open slabs of colour & high contrast. You can draw the eye away from jaggies, by simply having more things to look at on screen or blending your colour pallete (as doom does).

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 07:52
Hey, its GURUCHILD.

I thought this guy had left the DBPro community after the last DBPro compo. He put in the SoulCatcher or Soul something game.

How are things Mr. Guru?

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 10:04
Quote: "or blending your colour pallete (as doom does)."

He means "make the scene VERY dark"

Those jaggies appear because every screen is basicly build up with squares.

If you would zoom in you will see jaggies at the second line:

- /

IF you want those jaggies to go away, then why dont you create a new type of monitor that somehows rotates these squares at the right places

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 10:24
Hehe.. a TRUE vector monitor..

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 13:14
Yep, just use AA, it would be nice if DBP had an option to turn it on and off - oh well.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2004 20:16
Hey, philip! Soul Defender was the game I submitted for the Alienware contest some time back. I had taken a break from gamemaking, I'm getting back into it now. Funny you mention that, I was disappointed to find out not adding little ",1" to my images caused most of my effects to look HORRIBLE on the test machine, even though I had some kind of anti-aliasing effect going on with my card I wasn't aware of at the time.

I guess you guys are right about the edges. Considering there is little to the shot besides the landscape, it is not surprising the jaggies are more noticable to me now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:25:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 12:25:14