Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Scooby Doo (!?)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 06:35
Hey I just saw the Scooby Doo Movie. I didn't wanna see it cos I thought it'd be rubbish, and in a way I was right. Anyways my Son got it on Rental and I sat through it with him and its left me with a question, especially for any readers not from the Uk, but Uk ones may be able to help too...

After watching the movie the positive points are IMHO;
1.The Guy who played Shaggy was damned good
2.Daphne AND Velma were both FIT!
3.The CG effects were Ok (although Scooby's eyes were wrong I thought)
4.The brilliant twists including Scrappy Doo - I would never have expected that! Genius moment that made me like the film a whole lot more
5.The writing was pretty good, kinda sending up the old shows, which was cool. BUUUUTTTTT.....

*Ahem* Fart jokes *Ahem* Burp Gags *Ahem* Snot Jokes
(Sorry I've got a bad cold )

WHY? Why so many pointless and way over used unfunny vulgar immature humor randomly placed in an otherwise quite smart and funny movie?

So I got to thinking. I used to watch Scooby as a Kid and don't remember any kind of Fart/Burp/Snot jokes. Is that because the script writers at Hannah/Barbera were smart enough not to include any, or WERE they included, and British TV just cut them to make it suitable for younger kids?

Don't get me wrong, Vulgarity can be hillarious. American Pie and Something about Mary for example are great films. But this was the equivalent of someone farting and everyone else in the room laughing. Except streching the "joke" out over a few minutes of an otherwise cleverly scripted movie, it just didn't seem to fit.

If it wasn't for these the film would've felt pretty authentic, or were the versions of Scooby Doo I watched as a kid censored, and joke sequences like this were included in the other (US etc) versions?
* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 06:38
Sorry if I sound like a spoilsport, just on another rant lol

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 12:07
Yeah, I could'nt remember any farting in Scooby-Doo, the boy loves the cartoons, he always gives me funny looks when I tell him I watched them as a kid too!.

The guy who played Shaggy got the voice perfect, I hope this means he'll be in more movies, I've only seen him in Scream and a dodgy OTT hacker movie. He's in a band too, but I dunno which.
Thelma was pretty fit, prefered her to Sarah-Michelle 'lets change the whole character so she's just like Buffy' Geller. She did a much better job in Cruel Intentions.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 12:30
Hey, its the times man! Everything is cruder, ruder and dafter - after all, to misquote James Bond :

'Give the people what they want'...

...and besides it sells (because people want it)...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 12:30
To me the dog seems to be very blurry/out of focus most of the time - probably one reason I wont see it.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 15:00
the guy who plays shaggy was also the dready hacker in hackers.
he seems ok as an actor but has no idea about pcs in an interview.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 21:06
thanks Van B - Oh yes SMG was incredible in Cruel Intentions. She could be the ugliest girl in the world and still be sexy acting like that. And the way she just turn on and off, damn good. I thought she was ok in Scooby, trying to add a little character to the other wise boring stereotyped girl. And the fact that she always failed was a nice touch

The Shaggy guy was good in Scream 1. Actually everybody in Scream 1 was brilliant - shame about the sequels

TAT I was guessing they were just added in for the kids but it was funny without them and felt out of place Incase you never see it I should point out that (WARNING plot spoiler coming up here) Scrappy Doo isn't initally in the movie. In fact I always wondered what happenned to him, one series he was there next he wasn't. The film has the plot twist that Scrappy became so popular with fans of the show he became too big for his boots, became a drug/drink addict and violent and was thrown out. In the film it turns out he's the bad guy after all, coming to wreak his revenge! "Yeah and I woulda gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you filthy, stinking son's of b*?#es!" lol it just hit me as surreal and funny

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 22:16
Sounds an interesting twist - I tended to find Scrappy was a real pain in the cartoon...

Still dont want to see it though...

What I would like to see a film of (and is one of my favourite cartoons), and that's M.A.S.K. With today's computer technology they could do a really impressive Goliath/Rhino and the Corevtte car.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 05:06
thundercats and or robotech in full 3d please.

Anyone remember ulysses (spelling)

even astroboy or dungeons and dragons toon souped up for adult kids

hehe

ooh mask was cool also wow i forgot about that one.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 10:18
I loved Ulysses, it was one of the very first books I read, then the cartoon came out and I was mesmarised. The cartoon was not cheesy at all, in fact it was quite dark and moody for it's time. I mean travelling through space with a canteen full of floating crew is a bit miserable.

I remember the D&D cartoon too, I liked that too.

I reckon they'd kill Thundercats by making it a movie, in fact I really dislike all CG characters. I prefer muppets and men in suits .

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 12:19
Yes, Ulysses was very dark. I do wish they would repeat these cartoons - most of todays ones are bland and inoffensive.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 14:15
All of the aboive were great! On a lesser not I liked the dea future cowboy atmos of Bravestar too anyone remember that? Not as cool as Ulysses tho

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 14:29
Ah - Bravestarr, by the same people who did He-man if I remember correctly (Filmation).

What I always found annoying was those little moral stories at the end...

DarkPhyber
Years of Service
User Offline
I remember bravestar....one of my fav show....did anyone like the Silver Hawks or centurions or thundercats!

-Whats ur freaking point??-
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 20:34
I liked Centurions and Thundercats.

TAT the moral messages were supposed to counteract the violence, they had to be there otherwise American Greetings Corp wouldn't have touched them, which would have meant no hasbro toys They also promoted Care Bears, Rainbow Bright and get Along Ganag! lol

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 20:35
Oh - and obviously She-Ra was responsible for my sex education at a young age

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 21:08
I thought the morals had to be there for a reason - although most were more funny than anything else.

Hmmm... She-Ra... hmmmm...

Anyway, does anyone else agree that for quite a few cartoons the animation was pretty poor - I must admit that M.A.S.K suffered from that.

In that respect nothing much as changed with todays cartoons (Pokeemon, Digimon etc)...

Anyone remember Visionaries, one of the first (probably) to have a mixture of computer generated and hand-drawn animation...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 05:32
"Knights of the Magical Light!" Yes I remember, they had cool toys with Holographic faces!

Yeah Animation used to be awful, cos of low budgets I guess. Most American Cartoon shows are now done using Computer techniques so the framerate is increased without having to hand-draw everything. Japanese people tend to prefer the hand drawn style, I personally think its nicer, Pokemon is cool - the lack of frames is used almost stylisticly

Anyone remember Samurai Pizza Cats? It ripped the hell out of Turtles and was kinda funny

PS On the subject of the Turtles, I loved the cartoons at the time But HOW cool would they have been if they were properly based on the original Eastman/Laaird Comic Books? They were DARK

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 11:17
Never read the original comics, until the TV show came on I'ld never heard of them...

I used to be able to remember the chants for launching the staff 'weapons' and the shape-changing. Cant now though - must be getting old.

Computer animation is the way to go - shame they're only just being used now for cartoons...

I hate most Japanese animation - Manga I can just about tolerate, but thats about it.

What do you think of the Rugrat's animation style - To me, it looks extremely messy.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 13:22
Wanna see messy animation, watch Dr.Katz, it's all computer generated, but it's made from weird squiggly lines - I like it anyway .

My favourite serious animation series would have to be Spawn, Todd MacFarlane is a genius.

Van-B
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 18:07
The Rugrats looks kinda grotesque - I like the homor of the show tho, it works on so many levels.

Dr Katz is bl**dy hillarious

My favourite weird animation style recently was in a Nick (I think) show called Angela Annaconda. I didn't like it to begin with but it grew on me

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 16:45
Hey.... way to kill a convo! Come on - Angela Anaconda isn't that bad! Where are you going? Come back! We can talk about something cool and retro! 2001, StarWars, even Dr Who!! Anything!!! lol

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 16:50
2001 is very, very VERY boring - much like Star Trek:The Motion Picture.

Parts of each are good, but not much.

Star Wars is great - looking forward to the 3rd and last part.

Doctor Who was great too, do wish the BBC would bring it back...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 20:48
lol some1 replied! Knew the Sci-Fi would entice a reply

Doctor Who was a fun series. Did u ever see the awful Hollywood film version tho? Man that was awful

Yes I prefer Star Wars, especially Episodes 4&5 / Films 1&2

In Star Wars I loved the way it was kinda told from the Droids' perspectives. Empire was cool cause it was much Darker. Jedi kinda seemed more like a kids film, and Episode 1 seemed primarily aged at people Anakin's age - which I think was a mistake. Episode 2 was quite cool tho, I just wish some1 would Kill Jar-jar already!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2003 22:08
I liked the American/BBC Dr Who film myself...

Dont worry abourt Jar-jar Binks... I dont think he/it will be back...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 16:18
Really? I felt it was kind of Predictible and not at all in-keeping with the TV Show.

Good too hear about Jar-jar - well he had to dissapear before the end of episode 3 anyway, otherwise it wouldn't flow.

Hey I wonder what all the film houses are gonna do when they've made all the Starwars, Lord of the Rings and HarryPotter Films... they might try and write their own "sequels" and kill them Personally I can't imagine them giving up on such money spinning cash-cow franchises...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 16:54
Indeed not...

George Lucas as said (more or less) that aside from conning people out of buying different versions of the Star Wars films, he's not going to do anything else with it. I very much doubt that anything new will be done with Star Wars (even going around Lucas). Cartoons wont be done (like Droids & The Ewoks as, aside from myself not many people liked them). A series would be too expensive too.

Harry Potter films will carry on probably until whatserface finishes the books. Bet that would spawn a cartoon though, afterwards.

Lord of the Rings - that will fade into obscurity...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 17:06
I may be wrong about Jar-jar not appearing in Episode 3...
Oh dear!

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 17:25
I think you are right in your views on the three series'.

Maybe the Lord of the Rings teams will make the Hobbit - but I doubt it as they could not call it "The Lord of the Ring - The Hobbit". Maybe they will make a third cartoon to complete the series but I guess the reason it wasn't made was because they gound no money in it

I think maybe Harry Potter is too much of a fashion/phase to continue much longer - the books aren't [i]actually[i] that good!

As for Jar-jar, Messa thinks something happen to (unfortunately non-painfully) get rid of him during the next film.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 17:31
woah attack of the italics! I'm stuck in the Mozilla browser still so the buttons don't work proprely Let me just try...

bold / italic / underlined / http://www.kangaroo2.com weblink /
/ samjones@kangaroo2.com / picture.

(And if those all work I'll be surprised! )

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 17:33
Ok why didn't the href / weblink work? I'm typing this manually cos the buttons don't work in Mozilla

& BTW the computers above are obscure Commodores as you requested - check the Hardcore thread if you missed it

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 17:50
Cant remember ordering obscure Commodore machines...

...And why don't you have any A3010/RiscPC's there ?

I think its favourtism...

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2003 21:05
Quote "No C64 or C128's there. I am disappointed..."

Any idea how to get webpages and email links to work in the forums just typing (no buttons) ? You can see how I attempted this above.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 00:34
Did you try [ url ] [ /url ] & [ email ] [ /email] (without the spaces) ?

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 12:12
Thundercats rulz (Mumhra forever!) ... I even played the computer game (C64 I think) ... mind you Airwolf the C64 game was much better if a little difficult. Ulysees, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Dogtanian & The Muskerhounds were good too ... so was Battle of the Planets (I watched this while in E.Africa and here in UK too).

- Rav.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 12:56
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 12:58
Aha! Thank you! Damn me for expecting it to be the same as what it says on the button!

Yeah! I forgot about Dogtanion, that was really cool

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 20:39
Yes, Dogtanion was interesting - dubbing was poor though.

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 21:00
Unfortunately I was too young to notice at the time Only more recently do I notice such things. I do remember I used to love it tho. I used to watch it after my bath whilst my mother dried my hair with a hair drier. It was old and used to suck in my hair at the back and it hurt and then the hair burned and smelled funny... hang on why do I remember that fondly??? lol

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2003 00:57
Even when I as (much) younger, I always noticed poor dubbing, as well as poor animation.

Have you seen Taken ? I think its pretty awful - very slow and confusing, skips all over the place. Dark Skies was much better - shame they cancelled it though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:53:15
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:53:15