Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 3DFX Emulator??????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 23:14
What the heck do we do if we have an nVidia card (or ATI or whatever) and we want to play an old game (like Uprising 2) and can't have all the fancy graphics cuz it's all in glide???? Does anyone know of an Emulator that simulates any 3D card (or nVidia ) into a 3DFX card???? That would be quite helpful!

(I'm making a game with similarities from a lot of different games, one of them being Uprising and I'd like to see it how it was meant to be!)
1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2003 23:36
?

*confused*

What's Glide, and why won't the 3DFX run it?

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Kousen Dev Progress >> Currently Working On Editors
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 00:04
Glide, if I remember correctly was a graphics system, developed, I think by 3DFX (for there own cards), much like OpenGL etc...

I dont know of any emulators that will help though...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 00:43
You need to download yourself a glide wrapper. These were all the rage when the ultraHLE Nintendo 64 emulator was released a couple of years back.

You can get them here:

http://www.emuunlim.com/UltraHLE/downloads.shtml

The Yellow Jester does not play but gently pulls the strings
And smiles as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 04:55
History:
Glide is essentially OpenGL... However it was cutdown and reprogrammed to be smaller and 3dFX specific, and not just 3dFX specific but actually Voodoo Specific.
Glide2x covers Voodoo2|Banshee
Glide3 covers Voodoo3+

Now although Glide Wrappers developed for N64 High Level Emulators will wrap Glide Functions -> OpenGL 1.0
They don't do a complete job, infact are quite buggy, unrelyable and specifically built for specific N64 games and Glide Functions that will be run.

If you wish to have a true Glide -> OpenGL or -> DirectX wrapper DLL. I would suggest looking on the internet for 3dFX's SDK (which is now free and available but where i can't remember) and then reprogramming a Glide.DLL which you install specifically to use OpenGL|DirectX.
However for this to be truely sucessful you will have to compensate for the differences and what the original driver will be looking for from the Glide Drivers rather than what it will be asking the card to do. I know that doesn't make alot of sense right now but once you get into researching this then you'll understand.
I'd personally ask about the C++ development forums, especially the game ones ... as many people getting into OpenGL love a challenge.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2003 01:12
wow! thanks Raven. Sounds good, unfortunately I started on the BASIC languages and so I don't know enough about C++. Eh... the game doesn't require 3DFX and come to think of it, I do have an old Voodoo 3 I guess I could just plug in. Just was looking for an emulator cuz I have more than one computer and only 1 voodoo card. Thanks again!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:37:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:37:24