Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Wish Me Luck Argh!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 20:58
Hey guys

GOOD NEWS: I've just bought a New Motherboard, Proccessor (AMD 1800XP for only £20 ) and Fan
BAD NEWS: I now have to take appart my nice fully working PC and try and put everything together!!! Help!

Altho I know how to do it all I'm so sure something gonna go wrong I'm currently backing up my entire hard-drive onto CDs (Hmmm might format it anyways to stop XPs Upgrade problem) and pooping bricks lol

Anyways - wish me luck, and if you don't see me on here for a while you'll know it didn't work! Gulp
* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 22:08
Good luck...

I would get someone else to do it myself...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Drazo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2003 22:53
My two computers were hand-built.

If anything concerns you, ask me.
I can not guarantee EVERYTHING but I'll try my best.

Join FWMB @ aimoo
I'm one BIG nasty lizard.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 02:58
Phew! After a few close calls it all works! And WOW its made a huge difference to my PCs performance, just ran UT2003 at 1024x768 at Highest detail in all areas and it was smooth as anything! I had to run at 800x600 and medium before

I was worried that XP would lock me out doing such a major upgrade but nope seems not even to have noticed (other than running faster obv)

The only thing I can't get working is the front USB's on the case, they don't come as one big connector but as many separate ones, but they aren't labelled in any clear manner Oh well I'll prolly find a diagram on the Net

Thanks for the support guys sorry to make this kinda pointless thread, but I was worried Id get it wrong and not be here for a weeka and people would wonder where I was

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 03:08
Kangaroo2 I've to ask u something bud How did u install ur WinXP? Is it pro? Mine does not boot directly from the CD. I've heard about some boot disks for WinXP... can I create them from somewhere on winXP? Download somewhere?. I just could install my winXP upgrading from win98... that's bad .
thanks

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2003 05:14
If its an official CD it should boot from it, mine does - I have Home and Pro. Have you made sure your PC BIOS is set to boot from it? You can choose to make a boot disk but the installation has to have already started before it gives you the option. Obviously if you already have one or some1else can make you 1 but personally I wouldn't think you need 1.

Are you using 98 at the mo and want to upgrade it to XP? If so you can start the install from within 98, but I would only recommend doing this if you can't get it to boot off the CD.

If you change your BIOS and you CAN boot from the CD the best, safest and most reliable way to install XP is to completely format your hardrive then install it, and reinstall your software and drivers. However I understand there are many reasons you might not want too Also make sure all your hardware is compatible with XP (Loads isn't) or you'll be stuck

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2003 17:58
No no I think my computer has some problem to boot from the CD Rom . Like I've set up the BIOS to boot first from the CD, default is disk. I could not boot with any CD since I've bought this computer. Not win2k, not winXP and not even Linux Mandrake... all of them I needed to make a boot disk. In the case of windows XP, I'm using the professional edition, and always when I have to format or reinstal the OS... I format, use the Win98 Boot disk, instal win98 and then Upgrade to WinXP... that's awful and takes a huge amount of time . My computer is relativly new as well, it's a intel 2GHZ... I might be doing something wrong for sure . Thanks bub, I will keep trying

"A true warrior fights with skill, not anger..."

Gif edited by Kangaroo2
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2003 22:57
Sorry my friend if its set in the BIOS and still not doing it I've got no idea why

However it is easy to make a boot disk from within Windows or DOS, just go into a c: prompt and type "format a: /s" and it should format it and put the system files on the disk. They when you reboot itll hopefully go to a prompt where you can go "d:\setup.exe" I GUESS thisw works in XP it used to on older systems I haven't done it for years tho, always boot from CD I'm afraid

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 18:30:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 18:30:18