Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / space combat physics demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2003 01:08
I hate to repeat myself here, but

http://www.geocities.com/avanmadisen/index.html

is where you'll find my latest demo, a physics test of a space combat sim. I've opened a new 'topic' here because the conversation has kinda skewed in the other one.

The current setup is intended for the ship you begin in (kind of a glorified Elite intension here) and is quite slow off the mark, auto speed control doesn't go very fast because it isn't very manouverable. The more powerful craft will be infinately more capable then what's in the demo. The next demo will have changable capabilities of the craft.

Comments both good and bad are welcomed, I don't expect much as this demo isn't much at all. I just want some feedback on the basic physics as they are.

Avan
It's all a dream, trust me...
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2003 01:56
Would help if I put some details about how to find the demo, and it's help to sort the link correctly.

http://www.geocities.com/avanmadisen/index.html

Once you're there, click on projects, then on Velocity, the demo is about 620k and needs a joystick with a throttle to work correctly.

It's all a dream, trust me...
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2003 23:15
Anyone?

A computer - if it ain't broke, don't use it!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2003 02:21
Not bad, although the thottle on my Wingman didn't seem to do much. Seems quite accurate.

Its not going to turn out like Elite is it ? Cant stand Elite.

Oh, and if you need any computer voices, I've got a plug-in for just the job....

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2003 01:49
It won't be too much like elite, too simple, just flying around, killing pirates and trading. I'm going to take ideas from loads of different areas. Privateer 2, Freespace 1&2, plus many others!

I'm concentrating on the physics and ship ai for now. I might have to put a joystick calibration system in to sort your problem with the throttle.

Avan

Mr_Insane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2003 20:18
my type of space combat game is going to be like a frag fest thingie with real phsyics.
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 15:41
Can I just point out that real physics is very easy to program and doesn't make for playable, fun games.
Dogfights lack finesse and end up as ships accelerating at each other from a distance, zooming past each other, braking and then repeating. The other reason that physics isn't fun for dogfights is that in order to move in a particular direction you have to point in a different one in order to counteract your motion in the direction perpendiclar to your desired direction. This is really hard from a first person view anyway, and trying to SHOOT at an enemy whilst maneouvering is nigh on impossible. Especially if your projectiles inherit your motion (like they're supposed to).

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2003 17:03
don't know why, but till date i haven't been experience any descent dogfights! all the games i've tried and seen are not crap but just don't put you in the position to really experience the feel of it!

your birth was a blessing, sent to live and die on earth as a lesson, we each have a star all you have to do is find it, once you do, everyone who sees it will be blinded - DMX
Avan Madisen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2003 00:25
Paul, I'm guessing you haven't actually even looked at my demo, yes the physics are real but the ai engine system compensates for that by adjusting your momentum to keep you going in the direction you're facing, plus the inherint motion of the projectiles isn't much of a problem if the lead indicator is set up to compensate for that as well. Look, just try the demo and tell me what you think.

Hexgear, I can't promise it'll be what you want, but give me a chance and we'll see.

Avan

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 05:03:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 05:03:55