Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Just ordered! EZRotate and Advanced Terrain question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
OK after all my pre-sales questions I finally placed the order. Darn fraudsters making me wait to download Anyways to pass the time.

Author of EZRotate do you plan on having it available for DGSDK? Hopefully, sometime soon as I would like to avoid "gimbal" lock and add some cool rotations into the mix.

Same question for the advanced terrain creators. As I would like to use heightmaps and terrain cover instead of this "matrices" thing I keep hearing about. I am used to using a heightmap generated terrain.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2004 04:19
The current terrain code is already a part of the SDK.

Wolf will need to answer for EZRotate

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Jizzah
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks IanM in that case I'll wait for Wolf but directed towards you IanM how stable is the network code you are writing? I would like to add multiplayer capability to the game and would also like it to be fast. Do you have any specs on your network code? Is it going to be built on top of DirectPlay (I think thats the DirectX network subsytem) or will yours write directly to Winsock32? Will it incorporate "bit masking" so it only sends information to the clients that need to be updated? How about client side predictation think of incorporating that or do we have to do that in our own code?

Wow lots of cool plugins and other SDK features. I have no dreams about being commercial, I mostly do this as a hobby. So anything that makes my life easier I would be happy to pay for Any tenative pricing yet on your network plugin IanM?
enablerbr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2004 18:15
IanM i assume you mean the standard terrain pack code is part of the SDK. any idea if the advanced version might be converted for the SDK?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2004 21:10
Quote: "i assume you mean the standard terrain pack code is part of the SDK"

Yes. The standard 'advanced terrain pack' is part of the SDK. I assume that the truly advanced version will be released at the same time that Mike eventually releases the DBPro version.

@jizzah

Quote: "how stable is the network code you are writing?"

Very. I haven't had any problems with the core network code for a long while now. Pretty much everything that can be checked is checked. Despite that, it's still fast. It's all based on winsock, not directplay (why reinvent TGC's wheel), and allows either TCP or UDP connections.

There is no prediction included, simply because I can't cover even a fraction of everyones needs, data formats, dropped packets etc. There is also no masking included, again because only your application can decide whether a client needs to be updated again.

No price at this point - I plan to be guided by someone with a little more knowledge on that than I have.

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 00:05
Jizzah,
I have every intention of making EZrotate available for DarkSDK. Unfortunately, I am BURRIED in work right now.
I'll get to it as soon as I can.
Sorry....

Ron

EZrotate!
Tokamak Physics Wrapper!
Jizzah
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't be sorry I was just asking if it would be available and your answer is sufficient. I have worked with "When its done" release dates before and they don't bother me, I am very patience, probaby due to my old age. Its just good to hear that you are working on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:18:40
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:18:40