Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Crash in Dark Dungeon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am stepping through Dark Dungeon. I crash at:
dbSetSoundSpeed ( 2 , 88000 );
Which is in the LoadMedia() method. The debugger tells me that dbSetSoundSpeed() calls SetSoundSpeed(), which is calling CSound::GetBuffer() which is where the crash happens. I am running WinXP no SP2, 640mb RAM, lots of disk space.

Any clues?

thanx
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2004 18:09
Sorry, no clues
but I have no problems with WinXP Pro no SP2 when compiling Dark Dungeon.

Do you have problems with compiling one of the other demos aswell?

//Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott; 800Mhz FSB; Hyperthreading; WinXP Pro (!XP2); ATI R9700PRO; 1024MB RAM (2x 512MB "DualChanneled"; VC++; Delphi; ADSL;
roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
Figured it out. I replaced the following line:
dbSetDir ( "media" );
with:
dbSetDir ( "C:\\Program Files\\The Game Creators\\Dark Game SDK - FREEWARE Edition\\Samples\\Bin\\media\\" );

Evidently, the program could not find any of the media files.

A hard crash seems a little rude for the DGSDK.... But, at least, it had a happy ending
Jizzah
Years of Service
User Offline
It happened because if you have default settings on your IDE the application working directory is the one set it the IDE. When you step through it and did not copy the media file to where it could be located you would get that error. It happens because it couldn't find the sound file as you noted.

dbSetDir() only works that way if that subdirectory is located in the application working directory, chances are it was not. dbSetDir should through an error or exception like other loading functions so you can at least figure out what is going on when stepping through code or writing new code. I heard it maybe in the next release of the next SDK.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:27:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:27:58