Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Coffeehead needs guidance

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am proficient in Java (meaning I am good with the OOP and concepts but I don't really know any class libraries other than standard) and I am attempting to learn to use C++ through a beginner's guide and I have Visual Studio 6, and I desparately need OOP because DarkBASIC is just too frustrating. So... is there anything particularly special I would need to learn (syntax, concepts, IDE's) to be able to use the dgSDK proficiently?

ooo isn't that precious
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 17:45
Well you would need to learn C++. Learning C++ you will learn the syntax and concepts. The IDE , wether it is .net or VC++ 6.0 or whatever, should not be a huge problem to learn.
Stevil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 18:59
I don't know if you would really call the SDK OOP, its still top down and pretty much the same as working with db but have the option to use C++ in the mix. Its all a bit different to what your used to with java but if you understand programming concepts should be fine.

You Must First Realise Your Limitations Before You Set Your Goals
billy the kid
Years of Service
User Offline
The only significant difference between Java and C++ is memory management. So what pointers are and how to use them. How and when to dynamically allocate memory. Thats really the only thing you would know nothing about coming from Java because Java takes care of all memory management for you. The syntax between Java and C++ is pretty similar for the most part. And if you know programming concepts in one language, you know them in almost any language. Its just a matter of syntax.
Mr Snuggles
Years of Service
User Offline
Pointers... Alright. Thanks for the info.

ooo isn't that precious

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:36:10
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:36:10