Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Just ordered DGSDK - um - should I have?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Evenin' all -

I've decided to embark on a bit of after-hours game programming as a hobby for the new year. As with most things I do, I ordered the DGSDK like a bull at a gate. Well, after I'd checked out all the other 3d engines on the market.

Just reading through forum posts and wondered whether I did the right thing.

Do I need to have DBPro as well to get all the dlls and stuff or is it all included in the DGSDK?

Basically, what I want to know is when it turns up can I get coding in C++ straight out of the box or do I have to muck about getting other bits.

What's the stability like of the DGSDK compared to DBPro? After reading through some posts I've noticed that some stuff doesn't work; there's not decent enough access into the objects etc. etc.

Can anyone quash my reservations? I've been hunting for a decent 3d engine for C++ (with good easy-access community) and DGSDK seems to be the one from the demos i've downloaded. Not too interested in learning DBPro though.

If it does what it says on the tin, I can promise you lot some funkshnaz gamey goodness next year.

check out www.bookandstay.com for some non-game related work of mine.
Erick G
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 02:20
You dont need bd pro, DarkSDK is all you need, and Visual C++.

It rocks, trust me on this
roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do I need to have DBPro as well to get all the dlls and stuff or is it all included in the DGSDK?
"

No, the DGSDK does not require/need/want anything from DBPro.

Quote: "Basically, what I want to know is when it turns up can I get coding in C++ straight out of the box or do I have to muck about getting other bits.
"

I installed, and I just created a DGSDK application from VisualStudio. The wizard was magically there It just worked for me.

Quote: "What's the stability like of the DGSDK compared to DBPro? After reading through some posts I've noticed that some stuff doesn't work; there's not decent enough access into the objects etc. etc.
"

The next update should address accessing object members in a more OO way according to the newsletter. It appears stable, there are a couple of issues with sprites that I read about, but I have not gotten that far myself and they are to be fixed in the update.

Quote: "Can anyone quash my reservations? I've been hunting for a decent 3d engine for C++ (with good easy-access community) and DGSDK seems to be the one from the demos i've downloaded. Not too interested in learning DBPro though."

I am not that deep into developing a game, but here is my 2 cents worth. You did the right thing. The price is right, you can start rotating objects on the screen in 3d in 2 minutes (which dazzled my wife), the community is very active, and the product is actively supported by a paid staff so there is a certain amount of accountability.
The downside is that you bought V1.0 The problems are not so much with the library itself, but documentation and lack of existing documented examples. The help file does not match the includes in several cases (ie wrong). You will spend a lot of time in the header files until the update is released. The help files are also weak in the sense that they explain what that function does, but not the "big picture" for a noob like me. A sample usage is not present either. The SDK comes with sample apps. They all worked for me, but when you look at the code, it has NO COMMENTS. There is tricky code there that needs a comment line or two to help out the reader. If I turned Dark Dungeons in to my old professor with that lack of docs..................
Like you, I really did not want to learn basic. I am extremely happy with DGSDK and when the update comes out I will be even happier!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2004 04:52
Great choice! I have both DBP and Dark Game SDK. What you may have been misunderstood by is there are a lot of "extra" plugins for DBP, such as EZRotate (Excellect), Enhancement Pack, Cloth and Physics Packs, GUI system... Anyways, these ONLY work with DBP. There is talk of converting them over but I missed the IRC Chat t o ask them questions about it. The packs are really great (cannot say enough good things about EZRotate) and hopefully they will be converted.

Other than that, rock on! I have NO complaints about the DGSDK. None. Zero.

-This...is my boomstick!
stevie disco
Years of Service
User Offline
Lovely. Cheers chaps.

Just downloaded it and started mucking about with the samples. Seems easy enough. REminds me of good old AMOS 3D.

I like it - it's basically a set of function calls to a dll or two, with no set restrictions on how to use to tie it in to your program.

I played around with Auran Jet a year or two ago, and there was so much to grasp. It wasn't just a set of functions, but a complete virtual machine if you like. You had to create objects in a certain way with certain methods and so on.

With the DG_SDK, you've basically got access into some simple functions calls to simplify DirectX and that's about it. Just what I need. It won't cramp my style.

Seems with this that there is no limit to how to design your program.

Heheh. Will have fun with this little bad boy. Watch this space!

check out www.bookandstay.com for some non-game related work of mine.
Dragonslayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2005 07:36
It's Good I'm not really up on C++ but I have done some small practice things. You need visual c++ and in the near future you will be able to use Dev C with the SDK Dev c is free. I think it's a good investment if you are willing to learn c++ which I don't think is easy but there is lots and lots of resources and tutorials on the web to learn c++. You can go through the threads here to find some sites that other users have posted and you can get lots of help in this forum also.

Dragonslayer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:39:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:39:49